Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Decrypto (Game 1)

• 11-06-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the inaugural game of Boards Decrypto. A recap of the rules for all players:

How it works:
    Decrypto is a communication game where players compete in two teams. Each team is trying to correctly interpret the coded messages presented to them by their codemaster while cracking the codes they intercept from the opposing team. Each team has a codemaster and guessers. The job of the codemaster is to convey the passcode to your team using clues. The job of the guessers is to guess the code. We can play with a minimum of 4 players (2 per team) and a maximum of 8 players (4 per team).

How a round works:
    The game takes place over a number of rounds (maximum 8 rounds). Each team gets 4 secret keywords which all correspond to a number 1-4. Each round, the codemaster receives a 3 number code which they have to communicate to their team using clues. Eg, in the game below, the codemaster has been given the code 4-2-1. The codemaster gives the clues, JUMPER, HOUSE, CAMERA to their team on thread. The team correctly guesses the code is 4-2-1 and they win the round! Hurrah!

1.| 2.| 3.| 4.
    PHOTO|PROPERTY|AUDIENCE|CLOTHES

BUT WAIT!
    Since the clues are given on thread, and keywords do not change throughout the entire game, each team will gradually reveal information about their keywords to the opposing team. This will potentially allow your opponents to intercept the codes you’re trying to transmit. If they can guess the code correctly, they win a point! Each opposing team gets the opportunity to guess the code before your team can take a guess. Correctly intercept a code twice and your team wins the game! (note: the intercept step doesn’t happen on the first round) So codemasters! Make your clues obscure enough that only your team can guess the code!

BUT WAIT SOME MORE!
    Codemasters, if you make your clues TOO obscure and your teammates fail to guess the code, then you lose a point. Guess incorrectly twice and your team instantly loses the game!
    Once both teams have made a guess on the code, the game mod reveals the code and awards points accordingly. If no one has won (or lost) the game, the round ends and the next codemaster (a different team member each round) gets the next code.
    The order of which team’s code is guessed first will be randomly picked at the start of the game and will alternate for each round.

Ending the game:
    The first team to correctly intercept 2 of their opponent’s codes, wins the game, or
    The first team to fail to guess their own code twice, loses the game, or
    If no team has won by the end of the 8th round, the game is ended and the team with the most points wins. +1 point for an intercept, -1 point for a failed guess.

In case of a draw, each team will take their best guesses at what the opposing team’s keywords are. Most correct guesses, wins. After that, it’s a fight to the death.

Tip:
    Teams should keep track of all clues used to convey a code to the other team so you can build up a bank of clues that you can use to potentially guess the passcode.
    Eg:
    |WORD 1|WORD 2|WORD 3|WORD4
    R1|Camera|House| |Jumper
    R2|Screen|Kitchen|Theatre |
    R3| |Sell|Concert|Hat
    RULES ON CLUES:
    1. Codemasters cannot give any further clues or make any comments to their team while their team is conferring on their code. All team members can confer when discussing the opposing teams clue.
    2. The Clues must refer to the meaning of the Keywords. The Clues must not refer to the spelling (“C” to hint at “Cursed”), the number of letters (“8” or “8 letters” to hint at “Scorpion”), the position on the Screen (“musketeers” to hint at the word in the third position), or pronunciation (“face” to make your team guess “Place”).
    3. The Clues must be based on information that is publicly available. You can certainly refer to obscure Croatian poets of the 17th Century—it’s risky, but allowed! However, you may NEVER refer to “private” items, like what you ate for lunch or little sweet nothings between you and your spouse. (may not be applicable for a boards game wink.png)
    4. If you are unsure whether a clue is valid, please ask the game mod.
    5. All clues must be posted on thread by the codemaster. Each team can confer privately (on discord, whatsapp or by whatever way suits best) but guesses are made on thread. Each team should nominate a speaker and codemaster at the start of each round. Both teams have 24 hours to agree their choice. You MUST allow the opposing team to make a guess BEFORE your team makes their guess.
    6. You cannot change, modify, or improve a clue once it has been posted
    7. You cannot use the same clue more than once per game
    8. You cannot reveal the code on the Code card – the game mod will confirm correct or incorrect guesses when the round is complete.
    9. You cannot use the Keywords as clues (or their translation in another language), not even as a clue for a different Keyword.

Website used to generate the words:

https://randomwordgenerator.com/noun.php
    (some words that are unsuitable may need to be discounted, mod will use their discretion)

Official rules of the game:

https://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/rules6/Decrypto%20-%20rules.pdf
    (some rules have been slightly amended to suit an online version)

Round 1 will kick off tomorrow when both codemasters are ready with their clues!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Maybe this is better in here...
    Come on Kol, come on Clara, we got this! :D
    I'm happy with any or no role as I'm not quite sure I understand yet!

And thanks for setting this up Molly, I'm looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Maybe this is better in here...

I don't understand either. Do we need a discord group? Cause I'm useless with boards PMs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I think it’s probably fine keeping everything on thread I mean it’s played normally across the table from people.

Happy to use discord/pms if anything needs to be discussed in detail.

Can I be a guesser? Codemaster looks hard.

Though can I be called a guessmaster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Lol, great start. Yeah you can have a discord group if you like to discuss the clues in private. Any questions I can help with?

Clarabel wrote: »
    Can I be a guesser? Codemaster looks hard.

Though can I be called a guessmaster?

Actually being codemaster for the first round is the easiest. The more clues are given out the harder it becomes to think of good clues.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Actually being codemaster for the first round is the easiest. The more clues are given out the harder it becomes to think of good clues.

Do we have to take turns being the cluemaster? If so I'll go second please...if that is okay with my team.

I will be codemaster, I guess we will learn as we play

Kolido wrote: »

Cool, I have faith in you!
    In which case Clara and I can chat on discord

• Advertisement

Great, I'll PM you the first code now. You can take up to 24 hours to decide on your clues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can non signups post to this thread as long as they don't interfere with the game?

If so, .. how can we tell who is playing?

Sully, G&R either of you wanna go first or shall I do it?

sKeith wrote: »
    Can non signups post to this thread as long as they don't interfere with the game?

If so, .. how can we tell who is playing?

You could join team 2 if you like to even it up

Teams:

Team 1:
    Sully
    Osh
    Green&Red

Team 2:
    Kolido
    Electric Nitwit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

osh wrote: »
    You could join team 2 if you like to even it up

Teams:

Team 1:
    Sully
    Osh
    Green&Red

Team 2:
    Kolido
    Electric Nitwit
    sure, add me to team 2 if nobody objects.

Clara is playing also on team 2, no objections though to sK joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hi

Who is Team 1s codemaster?

Or do we pick that ourselves?

Ok, think I got this, do I write the 3 word clue on thread and also, does our guessers write the 3 digit guess on thread?

Ok, think I got this, do I write the 3 word clue on thread and also, does our guessers write the 3 digit guess on thread?

Think so, yeah...

5. All clues must be posted on thread by the codemaster. Each team can confer privately (on discord, whatsapp or by whatever way suits best) but guesses are made on thread. Each team should nominate a speaker and codemaster at the start of each round. Both teams have 24 hours to agree their choice. You MUST allow the opposing team to make a guess BEFORE your team makes their guess.

• Advertisement

Exactly that. Team 2 must allow team 1 to see if they can intercept their code first though. (this doesn't happen in round 1 because they've nothing to go on)
    That's no problem. I'll stick you into team 2 now and PM you the keywords.
    Green&Red wrote: »
    Or do we pick that ourselves?
    Team 1 choose their own codemaster and speaker. I can't send the code out until I get a nominated codemaster.

My clues for team 2

Listen Water Bus

osh wrote: »
    Sully, G&R either of you wanna go first or shall I do it?

Osh I’m happy for you to be codemaster

My clues for team 2

Listen Water Bus

Team 2 can now confer and the speaker (still need someone nominated as speaker) can confirm their code when ready.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Team 2 can now confer and the speaker (still need someone nominated as speaker) can confirm their code when ready.
    Thanks Molly

We have a discord group going, I'll be our speaker. We don't have to wait for our opponent's guess in round one, is that right?
    Just waiting on sKeith to wake up to check he agrees with Clara and me :p

Thanks Molly

We have a discord group going, I'll be our speaker. We don't have to wait for our opponent's guess in round one, is that right?
    Just waiting on sKeith to wake up to check he agrees with Clara and me :p

Correct. No rush, team 1 don't even have their code yet. :D

Winning already

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Okay I get it.

Are the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4?

My clues for team 2

Listen Water Bus

c119e428ff356a4146c7c9d58f5c6e3f.gif

4 2 3

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    Okay I get it.