Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and Classic vehicle "states the car is scrapped"

• 11-06-2020 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello all,

My '81 E21 is currently in getting an engine rebuild and I'm now enquiring on getting an NCT issued.

When I enquire off the NCT website it states the car is scrapped. The car is an english import, and has never been NCT'd before as far as I can gather.
    And I have the vehicle registration cert for the car.

Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I think all it means is that as it has never been NCT'd its not recognised by them, and classed as scrapped. Nothing to worry about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Did you import the car yourself or did you buy it from someone in Ireland. If the latter, I wonder if it could be an "elephant in the room".

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Imported by previous owner, I have read elsewhere that if the vehicle is declared off the road it can be wrongfully noted as scrapped.

Called NCT enquiries, they say its a registration issue.

I have sent an email to Shannon and will await a reponse.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Keep us updated!

Most classic cars for sale on DoneDeal that should have a valid NCT, don't. Plenty of them come up with the "our records show that this vehicle has been scrapped" message when you check them on the NCT site. Something that seems to happen when the car was never tested since it was imported.

I will update here for sure. Currently not the best time to be approaching this issue as I'd say they're inbox is jammed.

How does one go about booking an NCT normally when a car is first entered into the country? Does the website just pick it up the fresh reg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

exempt next year. :-)

I dont think so, as it'll still be registered post 1980?

I dont think so, as it'll still be registered post 1980?

40 years old next year, thus then NCT exempt.

from the RSA "What are the changes for vintage vehicles that are currently
    within the scope of testing at NCT Centres? New regulations are:
    • from 20 May 2018 all private cars registered post 01 January 1980 that are over 30
    years old but less than 40 the requirement to undergo a compulsory NCT will be
    reduced to every two years
    • from January 2020 onwards any vehicle 40 years or older will not require a test"

Isambard wrote: »
    40 years old next year, thus then NCT exempt.

from the RSA "What are the changes for vintage vehicles that are currently
    within the scope of testing at NCT Centres? New regulations are:
    • from 20 May 2018 all private cars registered post 01 January 1980 that are over 30
    years old but less than 40 the requirement to undergo a compulsory NCT will be
    reduced to every two years
    • from January 2020 onwards any vehicle 40 years or older will not require a test"

You’ve made my day. Great news!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

What I think should appear for an exempt vehicle is "No Vehicle record for this registration was found"

Fat-fingers on the original data entry may produce different results on different databases.

Back in the olden days, I registered a car with the Revenue. I think it took me four or so visits. Something was ballsed-up and I got them to correct it. Look up ZV8990 on NCTS and Cartell and tell me what it is. ;)

• Advertisement

You’ve made my day. Great news!

so I'm guessing what with the engine rebuild and the virus, you not bothering the NCT with your presence?

macplaxton wrote: »
    What I think should appear for an exempt vehicle is "No Vehicle record for this registration was found"

Fat-fingers on the original data entry may produce different results on different databases.

Back in the olden days, I registered a car with the Revenue. I think it took me four or so visits. Something was ballsed-up and I got them to correct it. Look up ZV8990 on NCTS and Cartell and tell me what it is. ;)

I have distinct memories of being dragged as a young fella to the motor tax office in Portlaoise for taxing and registering vehicles.

Just checked both, the question is ... which do you have !
    so I'm guessing what with the engine rebuild and the virus, you not bothering the NCT with your presence?

Good point. Although it's the insurance company that's looking for the cert, I'm sure I could plead my case but I'm sure they just need to tick a box, regardless of how many months are left. Anyone in insurance around here might be able to answer?

it's not exempt yet

Just checked both, the question is ... which do you have !

The NVDF database is correct. The NCTS one isn't.
    Although it's the insurance company that's looking for the cert, I'm sure I could plead my case but I'm sure they just need to tick a box, regardless of how many months are left. Anyone in insurance around here might be able to answer?

The insurance forum is over here now: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1765

The NVDF database is correct. The NCTS one isn't.

The insurance forum is over here now: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1765

So I should be hassling NCTS rather than the Motor Tax Office?

The woman from the NCTS was pretty adament it was the Motor Tax Office, but then again I think that they basically use the website to check their registry!

Could it be that it doesnt see it as possible due to the fact it's within a year of being exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If you want to pm me the old UK registration I can check if it was listed as scrapped or crashed before being exported. At least then you'd know where the problem originated.

If you want to pm me the old UK registration I can check if it was listed as scrapped or crashed before being exported. At least then you'd know where the problem originated.

Done, thanks very much !

Thanks to SmartinMartin for checking the old English plates.

The car as it turns out was exported in 2007 with no registered SORN.

I'm at my wits end with the motor tax office, cant get through to a human and no answer to my email (72hrs turnaround apparently).

Update

It took about a week in this climate to get a email back from the Dept. of Transport. Just for anyone trying to get through, this is the way I went.
    - Emailed the Dept. of Transport, tweeted them (awful I know) with no luck
    - Called my local tax office, explained the situation. The person at the end of the phone then had a contact in Shannon, so forwarded the information
    - Day later I get a phonecall, they have sent the vehicles details to the NCT database via post and I should be able to book the NCT in 2-3 days.

So all going well, I should have it NCT'd by the end of the month!

I know it has no bearing, but just to let you know your car didn't originate in the UK, it was imported there in 1989. Probably came from SA or Malta, somewhere like that.

• Advertisement

I know it has no bearing, but just to let you know your car didn't originate in the UK, it was imported there in 1989. Probably came from SA or Malta, somewhere like that.

Really?? Now that’s odd. Always thought it was a uk car.

How would I find out it’s original export location?

Maybe an owners club would know how to trace it through the chassis number?

or from Ireland perhaps?

Car is now registered on the system and NCT is booked for the 29th of June.

Is it the same NCT as on modern cars, or a less stringent version?

Same, more or less. All you benefit from is looser limits on the emissions.

Luckily I repleneshed all bushings and suspension before now.

Hopefully it sails through, booked for the 29th!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Once you NCT a classic, do you have to keep testing it, even though
    the class is NCT exempt.

I always wondered about this

kadman wrote: »
    Once you NCT a classic, do you have to keep testing it, even though
    the class is NCT exempt.

I always wondered about this

no, once it's 40 , end of.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Isambard wrote: »
    no, once it's 40 , end of.

So, with classics you can dip in and out of the NCT as it suits then ??

• Advertisement

Once a car passes 30 it has to be nct'd every 2 years. When it passes 40 it's exempt.

Advertisement