Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

• 10-06-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭

So now Gone with the Wind has been canceled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

This is another step in the current trend whereby a small but vocal minority seek to impose their views on others and silence dissent.

If you find the film objectionable, I don't believe that there is any requirement that you need to watch it, so why is there a need to stop others from watching it?

I am old enough to remember the vice-like grip the Catholic hierarchy held this country in. Certain films and publications were banned if deemed to be not in keeping with the tenants of Catholicism. Today's agitators, who laughingly refer to themselves as 'liberals' are just as dangerous.

Who has decided that these people are to control the narrative of what is and isn't acceptable? Why are corporations like HBO acceding to their demands?

This is a concerning time for all those who value civil liberties and free speech and frankly my dear, I do give a damn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

So now Gone with the Wind has been canceled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

This is another step in the current trend whereby a small but vocal minority seek to impose their views on others and silence dissent.

If you find the film objectionable, I don't believe that there is any requirement that you need to watch it, so why is there a need to stop others from watching it?

I am old enough to remember the vice-like grip the Catholic hierarchy held this country in. Certain films and publications were banned if deemed to be not in keeping with the tenants of Catholicism. Today's agitators, who laughingly refer to themselves as 'liberals' are just as dangerous.

Who has decided that these people are to control the narrative of what is and isn't acceptable? Why are corporations like HBO acceding to their demands?

This is a concerning time for all those who value civil liberties and free speech and frankly my dear, I do give a damn.

Alongside Little Britain https://news.sky.com/story/little-britain-removed-from-iplayer-and-netflix-after-blackface-criticism-12003558

and the tv show Cops:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/09/cops-tv-show-cancelled-police-protests

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jaysis! I suppose Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn is Right Out(TM)! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 OneMoreBabadee

"Frankly my dear, I love you let's remarry!"

"Didn't this movie used to have a war in it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Getting a bit like censorship now, " In to the West" next?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It said the film would return to the platform at an unspecified date with a "discussion of its historical context"

Do you morons even read the articles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Interesting to see where this ends.

Many of the classic programs on TV were of their time and also films. The bad guys were usually non white.

Then you have programs like Friends with almost exclusively white cast in one of the most metropolitan cities in the world.

What else has to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

More pandering to the fruitloops of society

• Registered Users Posts: 81,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“Canceled” ie. They will put a disclaimer ahead of the film that it was a product of its time.

Not shocking nor that contentious. Warner Bros already did the same for a lot of its properties.

The silliness starts coming in when Disney gets criticized for Splash Mountain and it’s reflection of Song of the South, which was a live action/animation film featuring a supposed sharecropper who longed for the nostalgic good old days of being enslaved. Not surprisingly, the character, Remus, doesn’t appear on the ride but several quotes do (neither does the tar baby - which merits no further explanation). As a result the vast majority of people who visit the park are fairly oblivious to this. Yes, splash mountain is probably reaching the end of its cultural lifespan but the kicker is one of the suggestions to re-theme it after Pocahontas, which is just another racist though less-so production.

I want Julia Roberts publicly flogged for Michael Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭joeysoap

John Wayne is next,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think she'll have to wait in line behind Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman, Michael Madsen and Tom Cruise,

Cops I understand because despite the disclaimers, the theme of the show and it’s presentation work to glorify officers and all but presume guilt on those filmed.

Live PD has similar problems to a lesser degree, but it has also been pulled in conjunction with it turning out that Live PD filmed an in custody death of Javier Ambler II’s death in 2019 but somehow “destroyed” the tape of this. I doubt they will go back on the air, even though I enjoyed the shows format. To catch a predator, for example, was canceled when it filmed and was party to an incident where one perp committed suicide in the process of their sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do you morons even read the articles?

We morons very much do read the articles, and find ourselves wondering why it's necessary to include an explanation of why a film made in 1939 and set in the Deep South during the American civil war should include a large-girthed, middle-aged Negro woman as a head housekeeper in a plantation great house. Could it be yet more pandering to woke idiots who've found another reason to shit their pants and scream?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

Overheal wrote: »
    “Canceled” ie. They will put a disclaimer ahead of the film that it was a product of its time.

How did we ever get by without disclaimers stating the bleeding obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

The permanently outraged will always find something to be outraged about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

Disclaimer: this painting contains stereotypical gender roles that were normal in the period depicted.

256px-Leighton-God_Speed%21.jpg
    Leighton-God Speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

The permanently outraged will always find something to be outraged about.

I think in this case the vast majority of people are the perpetually outraged.

jimgoose wrote: »
    We morons very much do read the articles, and find ourselves wondering why it's necessary to include an explanation of why a film made in 1939 and set in the Deep South during the American civil war should include a large-girthed, middle-aged Negro woman as a head housekeeper in a plantation great house. Could it be yet more pandering to woke idiots who've found another reason to shit their pants and scream?

Ignorance is the reason why. It seems like there's an increasing amount of young people who have no clue about the past and basically a failure of education to be able to explain recent history.

We had a student working with us last year, 20 years old. He didn't know what a CD was. This is the kind of person it needs to be explained to.

circadian wrote: »
    Ignorance is the reason why. It seems like there's an increasing amount of young people who have no clue about the past and basically a failure of education to be able to explain recent history.

We had a student working with us last year, 20 years old. He didn't know what a CD was. This is the kind of person it needs to be explained to.

Well for one manufacturing lecture I took last summer we were told to use a cd jewel case from around our home to complete a design project...

I haven’t seen a jewel case in my home in at least 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

And also those accents in Far And Away.

Then there's The Quiet Man and the threat of a stick to bate the wife.

Well for one manufacturing lecture I took last summer we were told to use a cd jewel case from around our home to complete a design project...

I haven’t seen a jewel case in my home in at least 10 years.

He was training to be a sysadmin. Still in a world of, if for some reason it's a hardware server, you can't boot from USB then a live cd is the tried and tested method. I know a lot of the younger folks I work with are good at different technical things regarding networking/development/devops or whatever but absolutely useless at home computers. I guess it's a resukt of growing up with tablets and phones instead of a desktop/laptop.

**** I feel like a grumpy old bastard now.

circadian wrote: »
    He was training to be a sysadmin. Still in a world of, if for some reason it's a hardware server, you can't boot from USB then a live cd is the tried and tested method. I know a lot of the younger folks I work with are good at different technical things regarding networking/development/devops or whatever but absolutely useless at home computers. I guess it's a resukt of growing up with tablets and phones instead of a desktop/laptop.

**** I feel like a grumpy old bastard now.

Oh no if you’re a sysadmin I expect you to be fluent in tape backups, floppies, laser and compact discs. And more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

They'll be cancelling fr Ted next for doing his impression of a Chinaman

Oh no if you’re a sysadmin I expect you to be fluent in tape backups, floppies, laser and compact discs. And more.

Ah yes, the fortnightly iron mountain collection. Something I do not miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes. Maybe in the future they'll send nice men around with a flamethrower to burn up any illicit physical copies of the pre-"woke"/"diversity" period US/UK art you might have lying around your house polluting impressionable minds or "triggering" the sensitive. I might have cribbed that from the plot of some book I vaguely remember reading once when I was young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Dude you're not allowed to say Chinaman when referring to Orientals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Many of the classic programs on TV were of their time and also films. The bad guys were usually non white.

Then you have programs like Friends with almost exclusively white cast in one of the most metropolitan cities in the world.

What else has to go?

If there are no black people in my friend group are they not allowed to be my friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Is it not the gays he was after in that episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

jimgoose wrote: »

"Set during and after the American Civil War, Gone with the Wind has long been attacked for its depiction of slavery.

Based on the novel by Margaret Mitchell, it features slave characters who seem contented with their lot and who remain loyal to their former owners after slavery's abolition."

Understand?

Advertisement