Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PBP want to tear down stuff in Galway

• 09-06-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭

Absolute clowns, fk off ye .01 percent of vote.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0609/1146337-monuments-galway/

Call to remove Galway monuments 'glorifying slavery'

It wants a monument to Christopher Columbus in Galway to be taken down.
    It is also seeking the removal of a plaque in Tuam, honouring Major Richard (Dick) Dowling, who served with the Confederate army in the US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Who in their right minds would have anything to do with that group they have no support .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

A statue of dickie Boyd Barrett erected instead

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

And you're helping them gain more publicity by posting it here. I bet they're delighted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was thinking the same thing. The problem with the democratization of the news via social media (and mainstream often just recycling same) is that fringe groups have a louder voice than ever.

I often feel if everyone could manage this Trump would wither away and die*

* Is there are a guard posted at the graves of past presidents or can we tap dance on his grave when he finally chokes on his KFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Did you read the article at all? They're asking for monuments and plaques to include references to slavery where appropriate, similar to other cities in lots of countries. So why are they "clowns" to ask that the same be considered in Galway exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

They should start by insisting that any portraits of the likes of Che, Lenin, Mao etc their supporters have on their walls be edited to include reference to mass murder, death squads, gulags, terrorism and famine.

touts wrote: »
    They should start by insisting that any portraits of the likes of Che, Lenin, Mao etc their supporters have on their walls be edited to include reference to mass murder, death squads, gulags, terrorism and famine.

A portait on their walls is hardly the same thing as a public monument, don't be ridiculous.

Same happening in the Uk. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8401935/Sadiq-Khan-calls-Londons-slave-trader-statues-removed-orders-landmarks-review.html
    Remember the outcry when the Taliban destroyed statues?

Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

https://www.thejournal.ie/joe-loughnane-suspended-from-pbp-4998335-Feb2020/

Might suit them a bit better to be worried about things like this first.

Same happening in the Uk. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8401935/Sadiq-Khan-calls-Londons-slave-trader-statues-removed-orders-landmarks-review.html

Get a grip.

Get a grip? :pac: Yep get a grip on statues of racist scum like Churchill and pull them down and dump them, that's what should be done. Same goes for statues in this country of anyone that had dodgy connections or profited from racism. In some cases add references to and context to some of these historical figures statues but in other cases just pull the statue down and stick it in a museum perhaps or melt it and do something useful with the metal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Irish have a very long tradition of being slave traders right through from Celtic times to the Viking period.
    Sure even our patron saint was a slave brutally taken from his Welsh family.
    I hereby suggest that we ban everything Irish!
    Or something.

The Irish have a very long tradition of being slave traders right through from Celtic times to the Viking period.
    Sure even our patron saint was a slave brutally taken from his Welsh family.
    I hereby suggest that we ban everything Irish!
    Or something.

Get a grip

https://www.thejournal.ie/joe-loughnane-suspended-from-pbp-4998335-Feb2020/

Might suit them a bit better to be worried about things like this first.

They suspended him. Does that incident disqualify them from speaking on the matter of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Get a grip? :pac: Yep get a grip on statues of racist scum like Churchill and pulled them down and dump them, that's what should be done. Same goes for statues in this country of anyone that had dodgy connections or profited from racism. In some cases add references to and context to some of these historical figures statues but in other cases just pull the statue down and stick it in a museum perhaps or melt it and do something useful with the metal.

From an historical point of view can you see no merit to keeping them? None?

I dont think dumping any of these helps, like it or not they are part of history. If something is contentious then by all means move it if thats what needs to be done or put it in a museum as you said later. Rascism/Slavery etc is obviously wrong on any level however the likes of Columbus is a product of his time and the cultural and social norms in the 1400s are hugely different now.

I remember a good documentary I seen on some countries in the Eastern Bloc who tore down statues and burned books/writings of Lenin and Stalin after the fall of the soviets. A lot of people missed a fundamental part of their history by effecticely erasing them and destroying them. By all means, move them or put them in a museum but they are off their time.

I think there is a nuanced and balanced discussion to be had in a few months time around what can and should be done.

Get a grip.

You've been listening to that Rightist bollocks Farage by the sounds of :pac:, would say a lot about some of the commentary on this thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get a grip
    What's the difference between being outraged over Irish involvement in slavery at one point in time to Irihs involvement in slavery at another point in time?
    It's all faux outrage bo11oxology!

duffman13 wrote: »
    From an historical point of view can you see no merit to keeping them? None?

I dont think dumping any of these helps, like it or not they are part of history. If something is contentious then by all means move it if thats what needs to be done or put it in a museum as you said later. Rascism/Slavery etc is obviously wrong on any level however the likes of Columbus is a product of his time and the cultural and social norms in the 1400s are hugely different now.

I remember a good documentary I seen on some countries in the Eastern Bloc who tore down statues and burned books/writings of Lenin and Stalin after the fall of the soviets. A lot of people missed a fundamental part of their history by effecticely erasing them and destroying them. By all means, move them or put them in a museum but they are off their time.

I think there is a nuanced and balanced discussion to be had in a few months time around what can and should be done.

I think some could be put in a museum as I said with info next to it as to why they were removed from their original public spaces. It would be better way of dealing with it than tearing them down and dumping them in the harbour like in Bristol the other day. We removed most British Imperial statues around Dublin after Independence, I think some are in museums?

It's best to remove them and put them away somewhere like a museum than leave them standing up in public streets and squares like an anachronistic sore thumb. That's what happened with Nelson's Pillar. That one should have been removed long before it was correctly taken out of it.

What's the difference between being outraged over Irish involvement in slavery at one point in time to Irihs involvement in slavery at another point in time?
    It's all faux outrage bo11oxology!

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying there but I think there is a justifiable argument for removing statues to historical figures and put them in museums perhaps if there were elements in their past that were particularly offensive. Like if they were slave traders or were vehemently racist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I can't take much more of this "woke" nonsense. :(

The Internet/Media is full of this ****e now.

jprender wrote: »
    I can't take much more of this "woke" nonsense. :(

The Internet/Media is full of this ****e now.

Go back to sleep so

• Advertisement

Go back to sleep so

How about the nonsense stops instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

We need to preserve history to remind us.

The same arguments being used to tear down slaver statues could also be used to suggest bulldozing concentration camps... but we should leave them intact so we always remember...

Rodin wrote: »
    We need to preserve history to remind us.

The same arguments being used to tear down slaver statues could also be used to suggest bulldozing concentration camps... but we should leave them intact so we always remember...

Take them down and put them in museums, they should not be left in the prominent place they were originally put in.

Either the authorities get a grip on that or they will be vandalised or removed by force as Nelson's pillar was correctly removed fin Dublin that time or example.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Take them down and put them in museums, they should not be left in the prominent place they were originally put in.

Either the authorities get a grip on that or they will be vandalised or removed by force as Nelson's pillar was correctly removed fin Dublin that time or example.

"Everything has to be how we want it to be, or we will destroy it"

There's a name for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

A statue of dickie Boyd Barrett erected instead

The need someone from the past, someone like ex TD Ruth Coppinger who served her country.

Banished by the Dubs so maybe the Galwegians could honour her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

so mob rule basically

Ah here, you're taking the piss surely.

Who is going to remove by force a statue of Christopher Columbus ?
    RBB ?

jprender wrote: »
    How about the nonsense stops instead.

What "nonsense" is this exactly? The nonsense spouted buy a few Rightists on this thread perhaps, would be good if that stopped alright.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    The need someone from the past, someone like ex TD Ruth Coppinger who served her country.

Banished by the Dubs so maybe the Galwegians could honour her.

Brandishing a thong.

Advertisement