Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space Force - Netflix -(**Spoilers**)

• 08-04-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

First look at Netflix's Space Force which arrives on May 29th.
    “Space Force” centers on Mark R. Naird (Carell), a four-star general and decorated pilot who dreams of running the Air Force but instead finds himself tapped to lead the newly-formed sixth branch of the U.S. Armed Forces: the titular Space Force.

Kudrow plays Maggie Naird, Mark’s wife who is described as a woman who “sublimated parts of herself to her husband’s career for two decades.” Now that he has a new challenge, she, too, will find herself growing in new directions. See a first look at Kudrow in this new role above.

Mark uproots his family and moves to a remote base in Colorado when the series begins. There, he is “squeezed between the politicians and the scientists,” Daniels tells Variety, when tasked by the White House to get back to the moon and achieve “total space dominance.”

Daniels and Carell co-created the series after previously working together on “The Office.” They executive produce alongside Howard Klein from 3Arts.

In addition to Carell and Kudrow, “Space Force” stars John Malkovich, Diana Silvers, Tawny Newsome, Ben Schwartz, Jimmy O. Yang, Noah Emmerich, Alex Sparrow and Don Lake.

hex_102_unit_02708r.jpg?w=600
    hex_101_unit_03760r2.jpg?w=600
    hex_102_unit_00698r.jpg?w=600
    hex_101_unit_01739r.jpg?w=768&h=512

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ben Schwartz? I'm in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basq wrote: »
    Ben Schwartz? I'm in!

"Technically I'm hommmmmelessss!"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's some cast-list it has going there; a few chuckles but has that sense of a show that'll need some episodes to find its feet. Even the best need time to work things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Stan! .. ahem.. I mean Noah Emmerich! :)

• Advertisement

Another trailer popped up:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,794 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maxwell Smart trying to get to space :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looking forward to this a lot, hope it lives up to the billing, It will be a little sad seing Fred Willard, who died last week, in his last screen role as Mark Naird's father Fred.

Willard was the star of a Space Force TV movie back in 1978, so they kind-of had to get him involved somehow!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

It's out today and has 46% on RT and 2 out of 5 stars from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/29/space-force-review-steve-carell-john-malkovich

How does Netflix keep managing to fúck up so many of their shows? This should've been a home run considering who's involved

Jaysus, is it worth even trying?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/29/netflixs-space-force-with-steve-carell-is-getting-savaged-by-critics/#47e838d94ae2

Here’s a sampling of some of the top critics who have reviewed Space Force already:

“[Carell's] too good for the material, which never takes off. The loony parts aren’t sharp enough, despite the efforts of Carell and crack performers like Noah Emmerich, Jane Lynch and Diedrich Bader.”
    Mike Hale, New York Times – 4/10

“Space Force just isn't close to consistent — especially in the first half of the season, the misses outweigh the hits — and even as it settles into itself a little more, it's hard to buy all the eventual smoothing out of characters and plot lines from that choppy beginning.”
    Daniel Fienberg, THR – 4/10

“How did this happen, though? How did so much talent and money go to such waste?”
    Alan Sepinwall, Rolling Stone – 4/10

And I have to feature Blake Goble, from Consequence of Sound, who I used to review movies with in college at The Michigan Daily. From his zero out of 10 review:

“It takes a special kind of project to make Steve Carell unfunny. ... Think of the Simpsons episode where NASA puts Homer in the cockpit to drum of some PR and hot ink. There’s your damned Space Force. Here’s a comedy for people either desperate for new Office content, or who still find “covfefe” funny.”

• Advertisement

I'm 6 episodes in and probably will see it through despite being extremely thin on the ground in laughs!

Madness to think of the talent behind this, and yet it's just so poor!

Malkovich, Schwartz (despite just being Jean Ralphio 2.0) and Yang are the only ones really trying. Carrell is phoning it in!

I'm 6 episodes in and probably will see it through despite being extremely thin on the ground in laughs!

With the huge plethora of great TV out there, why continue with such a poor show Basq?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I watched episode one and thought it was good.
    There were certainly a few laughs in the first episode anyway.

I watched the first 3 episodes today. It is highly watchable, but, a laugh here or there wouldn't have went a miss.

Some shows which went onto be all-time great comedies started out with a poor first season, like Parks and Recreation. With a good cast here and chemistry, I'll give it a chance to find its feet in the second season.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    With the huge plethora of great TV out there, why continue with such a poor show Basq?
    Wanted an easy watch.. which it is to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

god. I really wanted to like this. but it is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Watched the first episode - and even at just a little over 36 minutes it was a struggle to finish it
    Expected a comedy but didn't laugh or smile once
    Persevered with the second episode and it didn't get any better - done with it
    Just used gags from Airplane's first draft that was trashed because the writer realised they weren't funny (at least that's the genre the show was trying to come across as for me)

Recently watched Upload - cannot wait for the second season - stupid, funny and a story to boot, so what the hell happened with this. The writers should be fired - so much comedic gold here with Trump

A shame considering it has some great actors in it

Is this Netflix's biggest financial flop?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Aye not great at all. Easily watched and found Malkovich the best in it. The scenes with the monkey in space are hilarious though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Malkovich, Schwartz (despite just being Jean Ralphio 2.0) and Yang are the only ones really trying. Carrell is phoning it in!

After the awful waste of talent that was House of Lies Schwartz needs to start reading scripts before signing up for dross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Terrible.
    Watched the first episode last night, struggled to finish it to be honest and wont be going back for mor.

This is supposed to be a comedy. I want to emphasis the word supposed.

Steve Carrell was the wrong choice for this show - I just don't find him funny in anything. He's too stiff / wooden, bland, old.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I watched it all. It's not great but not terrible either. John Malcovich is the pick of the actors in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Just finished it, and like I do with anything I watch whether it be movies or TV, I turn off the brain and hope to be entertained. In this case, I was. Enjoyed it loads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Only five epsidoes in the space monkey and war games episodes episodes were hilarious but the other three were total duds. Its painful getting through the bad episodes. Malkvoich is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It did get a bit better towards the end, but it was still very light on laughs all the way through. I just don’t get what kind of tone they were going for here, the casting was great on paper but they didn’t make nearly enough use of a regular scene-stealer like Ben Schwartz. Such a waste of talent and not just him either, I could say that about 80% of the cast at least.

As others have said, Malkovich is a big positive in this and one of the main reasons I stuck with it until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I thought this was a lot better than the reviews made it out to be. It wasn't laugh out loud, but a pretty smart satire on Trump's America. It has potential and I'd watch a season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I expected to be very disappointed having read some of the reviews here and comments elsewhere but I quite enjoyed it. Maybe my expectations were lowered sufficiently?

Of course with the money, cast, team and premise it should have been better, but I'd absolutely give it another season. Comedies don't always hit the ground running - we're now familiar with everything and things would be better next time around!

Malkovich was great, and Steve Carell is Steve Carell! It was just a nice show about something utterly absurd!

Maybe I've damned it with the faintest of praise though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The space monkey stuff is brilliant , poor Theodore

This could have a lot more laughs , but it’s an easy watch and some pretty good satire on America 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ive only watched 3 episodes so far, it has some good moments, the AOC-esque Congress woman, I liked the gag of the woman having to catch the lizards beside the launch site and the monkey stuff was funny. Overall though its a very poor show, I couldnt maintain a suspension of disbelief, some of the characters and setups would be more suited to something like Family Guy where you can throw in any old nonsense because its a cartoon.
    If Police Academy, Scrubs, Dr Strangelove, The Office are all 8s and 9s, this show is a 3. Carell's character doesn't work for me, compared to the other shows there is nothing interesting or believable about him. He is a General that launches rockets by accident...okaaay , I have cartoons for that.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The chimpanzee mission just killed the second episode for me: they are not funny. It’s not even that they were portraying what was essentially animal abuse: I have a pretty dark sense of humour and get that it’s fiction and CGI. I could also excuse dodgy orbital mechanics if a show is funny (see Avenue 5), but this just fell flat for me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement