Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

• 07-06-2020 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

I'm really looking forward to getting out and about to shop tomorrow. I feel like there will be a great buzz about the place, like St Stephens day. I'm taking the day off work for it.

What time do you think you'd want to get to IKEA for? I'm thinking it's probably best to be there from 7 or 8 at the latest? Kids are really looking forward to it too. They love the hot dogs and meatballs from there.

Then in to town to Henry Street!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enjoy, it will be pure torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Personally I'm leaving it for about a week , let everyone else's get there taste of freedom out of the way first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

IKEA is restricted to 2 adults, no kids. Restaurant will still be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

2/10

I'm really looking forward to getting out and about to shop tomorrow. I feel like there will be a great buzz about the place, like St Stephens day. I'm taking the day off work for it.

What time do you think you'd want to get to IKEA for? I'm thinking it's probably best to be there from 7 or 8 at the latest? Kids are really looking forward to it too. They love the hot dogs and meatballs from there.

I don’t think shopping is going to be anything like it used to be .......not for a long time!

The queues at Woodies 2 weeks were horrendous and there is no queueing with kids allowed. If you want to spend most of tomorrow queueing outside various shops go for it, but you better have a list, there’s no more heading in to shops to kill time, wander around, browse . Buy what you want and get out is the message.

I won’t be heading for weeks, I’ve managed this long and I hate queueing.....plus I’m saving a fortune !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'm setting up camp outside penny's on Wednesday. Hope the weather is good. A couple of slabs should keep me going til Friday

Haven't been in a pennys store for years, but I suspect the crack in the queue will be mighty. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

No. I got into the habit of shopping out of necessity rather then window shopping.

Be aware that most shops will be card only.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of threads about shops refusing cash transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

If that's your idea of a good buzz go for it and enjoy.
    I'll wait for my thrill when I get a pint of Smithwicks in my hand in the hilltop bar up the road, ahhhhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You must really love standing in line 2 metres away from everyone else

Actually, if this virus ends the idea that going shopping is a pleasure rather than a chore, then at least some good will have some from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I don’t think shopping is going to be anything like it used to be .......not for a long time!

The queues at Woodies 2 weeks were horrendous and there is no queueing with kids allowed. If you want to spend most of tomorrow queueing outside various shops go for it, but you better have a list, there’s no more heading in to shops to kill time, wander around, browse . Buy what you want and get out is the message.

I won’t be heading for weeks, I’ve managed this long and I hate queueing.....plus I’m saving a fortune !

Yeah, **** that. I don’t queue unless it’s time essential like getting into a gig or match or boarding a plane. Anything else if the queue looks like it’ll take more than a few minutes I’ll come back another time or go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I'd rather slit my own wrists while eating broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

IKEA opening from 1030 onwards and the first hour is for elderly and vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

No. I barely went into town before all this happened so I won't be changing just for the novelty. The missus though, she is counting down the hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd wait till things quieten down but only go when I actually need something. On Saturday I was in the city centre in Cork and needed a few bits and pieces from a health food shop, as it was small, there was a limit of 2 customers at a time so I waited patiently at the door watching this earth mother with a child who browsed leisurely around the shop, picking things up, reading labels, putting them down, oblivious to the sign on the way in that asked customers to be as quick as possible. I came very close to shouting in "selfish bitch" but walked away after 20 minutes waiting and took my business elsewhere.

Ladies out there (and it is mainly females), this is not the time for browsing, shopping is not a social activity, have a bit of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Nah, I'll eventually go to shops for browsing whenever vaccine or covid under control otherwise it'll be going in for a reason and getting out

Seamai wrote: »
    .........so I waited patiently at the door watching this earth mother with a child who browsed leisurely around the shop, picking things up, reading labels, putting them down, oblivious to the sign on the way in that asked customers to be as quick as possible. I came very close to shouting in "selfish bitch" but walked away after 20 minutes waiting and took my business elsewhere.

Ladies out there (and it is mainly females), this is not the time for browsing, shopping is not a social activity, have a bit of consideration.

+100
    Shopping from now on will be functional not pleasurable and not a way to kill a few hours . It’s a pity as browsing at times is an enjoyable experience.

I wonder how TK Maxx will fare? It’s the ultimate “browsing” shop !! Who ever goes into TK Maxx knowing exactly what they want ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ZX7R wrote: »
    Personally I'm leaving it for about a week , let everyone else's get there taste of freedom out of the way first

The funny thing is everyone is saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

IKEA opening from 1030 onwards and the first hour is for elderly and vulnerable.

The OP is both and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No I will give them a few weeks to get their shop in order

Sounds like the absolute height of no craic.

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »
    The funny thing is everyone is saying this.

Yes but I'm anticipating the MacDonald's brigade to be out in full force tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ZX7R wrote: »
    Yes but I'm anticipating the MacDonald's brigade to be out in full force tomorrow

Are they the MacDonald's from Sligo or Offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

No I don't need to buy anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I couldn't think of anything worse tbh. In fact I cant see myself physically shopping anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sounds like the absolute height of no craic.

How or when was shopping ever craic? The ultimate chore and gigantic time waste. Best thing about this pandemic is the amount of time not spent driving to and around carparks for "leisure".

Boggles wrote: »
    Are they the MacDonald's from Sligo or Offaly?

You will know them when you see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

You can travel anywhere in your own County. No matter what county surely there are better options than shopping.

I do miss the shops (didn't realise I did) but they'll be a nightmare tomorrow with queues, I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Only shopping I'll be doing is driving to a bigger diy shop in a neighbouring town now that I can. Won't be hitting the high street anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've noticed the local bookies have signs setting out their capacity limits. Imagine the poor fecker who has to wait outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've noticed the local bookies have signs setting out their capacity limits. Imagine the poor fecker who has to wait outside.

While he sees people inside placing 20 cent bets.

Advertisement