Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchase 6mm Marine Plywood / Epoxy

• 05-06-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Folks
    Where do you buy marine ply, I need 6mm thick.

I see woodworkers.ie have it, are there other places anyone could recommend?
    I am surprised how expensive it is.

I also need epoxy to coat it and fillers for bonding. The west system looks good. Any recommendations for buying that appreciated.

I am N Wickow. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

These should have all you need. https://www.wallerwickham.ie/# also Chadwicks sometimes do marine ply don't be tempted to buy the cheep Chinese marine ply look for a BS1088 stamp . I use west system a lot and like it, get it with the pumps it makes it very handy for mixing. You can also mix your sanding dust with the resin to make a filler that will match your wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Thanks Fergal, nice guys to talk to in wallerwickham and looks like a one stop shop for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep they know their stuff and you can rest assured you will be getting real marine ply. Are you building a boat by any chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Waller Wickham defo. You pay for what you get and they do the proper stuff. We've used them few times for floors that are very exposed and the plys still perfect. Not ply suppliers but Abbey woods close by are good for other marine hardwoods for supports etc. West 105 for the epoxy

fergal.b wrote: »
    Yep they know their stuff and you can rest assured you will be getting real marine ply. Are you building a boat by any chance :)

I had a boat, a lovely little clinker boat I partially restored and only sold 2 weeks ago after about 10 years of owning it and not getting it finished. You'll see some details and pics on this forum actually. I hope the new owner gets it completed. I think he will.

I ask about ply and epoxy because i have an unusual car. It is an Irish built car! Built in the north, it's a Clan. Originally built in the UK (by a clan, a clan of ex Lotus employees) and they were called the Clan Crusader. (I am in to Hillman Imps and the clan uses imp suspension, steering and engine/gearbox). The car is all fiberglass with plywood reinforcing diaphragms.

The history is interesting as they went out of business mainly due to a change in VAT regulations (you could avoid the vat by doing a self build of the car, a kit, something that one could do over a weekend)

The moulds then went to Cyprus and a company there (they built trucks and bin lorries etc under license) were about to start manufacturing in a new factory when the Turks invaded. The factory is, (it's still there) in no man's land. The DMZ between the 2 parts of the island.

Then, somehow the moulds made it to the North of Ireland and the cars , with some small changes from the original Clan Crusaders, were built in Newtownards.

I have some soft/rotten inner ply diaphragms to replace, so it will be cut it out, make a replacement piece slightly larger and from the videos i've seen on youtube for the West System I'll wet out the new and the good existing and then add fillers and bond the new piece behind. Then glass over the repair. It sounds like Ryan in Wallerwickham will be able to give me some pointers. I'm going to send him some pics.

I hope my thread doesn't get deleted now! But one of the clan guys said to me, "just think of them as a boat, but with wheels!". It was also recommended to buy the Boat Repair manual by George Buchanan. Which I did.

• Advertisement

Very interesting, I do like classic cars so any questions you have on fibreglassing feel free to ask.
    One of the boats I restored was a Microplas these also started out making kit cars and later became Microplus.

Wow, love the boat. Amazing. The cars look good too, interesting the names, stiletto and scimitar later used by Sunbeam and Reliant.

Not sure but the cars look like they were designed to fit on to a chassis. Like say a Ginetta etc. The clan doesn't sit on a metal frame/ladder chassis, the shell is the chassis.

Do you still have the boat?

No sold on to fund the next boat project :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

You can refer to this article, TotalBoat is a great epoxy.

Juliet799 wrote: »
    You can refer to this article, TotalBoat is a great epoxy.
    I bought the marine ply and west system epoxy from weller Wickham. I’ve been having fun laminating, bonding , filleting. I must say I’m a big fan of epoxy.

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    I bought the marine ply and west system epoxy from weller Wickham. I’ve been having fun laminating, bonding , filleting. I must say I’m a big fan of epoxy.

And YouTube Andy boatworksToday. Brilliant

Advertisement