Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Mobile €5 a month

• 04-06-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭

New Virgin mobile offer.
    €5 a month for 5 months on a 30 day contract.
    Unlimited data, calls and texts.
    With Virgin mobile, some people have had problems getting SMS verification texts from banks, Paypal etc.
    Up to 4 Sims if you have some other Virgin offering for 3+ months, otherwise 2 Sims.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

okidoki987 wrote: »
    New Virgin mobile offer.
    With Virgin mobile, some people have had problems getting SMS verification texts from banks, Paypal etc.
    Up to 4 Sims if you have some other Virgin offering for 3+ months, otherwise 2 Sims.

€5 for the first 5 months, and €25 afterwards. Is it a 12 month deal or can you cancel before end month 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

€5 for the first 5 months, and €25 afterwards. Is it a 12 month deal or can you cancel before end month 5?
    New Virgin mobile offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Three took over O2 a while back and legacy O2 customers are treated like second class citizens. Virgin piggyback off Three at an even lover level.

There are three phone networks in Ireland

GoMo use the Eir network

AnPost use the Vodafone network

Everyone else, all of them piggyback off whatever is leftover on 3.

Use https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ to see which of those networks are close to places you want to be. Or ask friends.

Not all piggyback networks offer 5G or 4G or whatnot YMMV , a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Robbieol

New Virgin mobile offer.

Switched to them about a week ago. Was initially having issues with getting texts from BOI and contacted Virgin support and the issue was fixed within 2/3 days and I'm getting verification texts from them and other apps no issues now. Also does anybody know if/how I could switch to this offer? I got the same thing when it was going for a tenner a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Works out at €200 in year 1 and €300 in year 2.

Might suit someone for short term option while at €5 assuming they cancel before the price increases 5 fold for the foreseeable future.

Long term, there is cheaper options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

If you switched to them last week you should be on 10 per month....cooling off period is 14 days so you could cancel and re-apply for the 5 per month for 4 months, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

as.eirinn wrote: »
    If you switched to them last week you should be on 10 per month....cooling off period is 14 days so you could cancel and re-apply for the 5 per month for 4 months, no?

Yes he could do this. The 10 Euro deal is for 12 months though. Cheapest I could find, but was a limited flash sale.

Robbieol wrote: »
    Switched to them about a week ago. Was initially having issues with getting texts from BOI and contacted Virgin support and the issue was fixed within 2/3 days and I'm getting verification texts from them and other apps no issues now.

Any idea what they did?
    I've had same problem with AIB, Paypal and a few others and have rung them 4 times with no solution apart from the usual "we're looking into it".

Esse85 wrote: »

Might suit someone for short term option while at €5 assuming they cancel before the price increases 5 fold for the foreseeable future.

You would only join them for the 4 months and then go elsewhere.
    Virgin are always doing mobile deals to get people to join them so when this one finishes there will be a different one.

• Advertisement

we've just been on to them to switch from the 10per month for 12 to the 5 for 5 before the 14 days, no problem at all, switch was made...i was reminded that the 10 per month was a better deal but hey, if/when a better deal comes up within the 5 months we'll move again...really easy to do these days ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah doesnt seem worth the hassle of switching twice in the space of 5 months.

Im still with Tesco 15 a month, was tempted by GoMo when it was 9.99 but couldnt face into dealing with Eir again so left it

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

we've just been on to them to switch from the 10per month for 12 to the 5 for 5 before the 14 days, no problem at all, switch was made...i was reminded that the 10 per month was a better deal but hey, if/when a better deal comes up within the 5 months we'll move again...really easy to do these days ; )

It's a 30 day contract, so if a better deal comes up in a month you can move. Strange thing to do considering you can move after 30 days. Can't understand your logic.

wizardman wrote: »
    It's a 30 day contract, so if a better deal comes up in a month you can move. Strange thing to do considering you can move after 30 days. Can't understand your logic.

Well if a 4 months free comes up, and you move by ordering 2 Sims and then cancel the other 2 before waiting the until the end of a 30 day billing cycle what's the harm... you're guaranteed the next 4 months free then pay your fiver/tenner for the old Sims. Sometimes the 4 months free has a short offer so why take the chance... hope this helps 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Well if a 4 months free comes up, and you move by ordering 2 Sims and then cancel the other 2 before waiting the until the end of a 30 day billing cycle what's the harm... you're guaranteed the next 4 months free then pay your fiver/tenner for the old Sims. Sometimes the 4 months free has a short offer so why take the chance... hope this helps 🙂

You don't have to wait until the end of any billing cycle. After the first 30 days you can move anytime. So you point doesn't make sense like changing from the €10 to the €5 deal didn't make sense.

If you move during a month you'll be in credit and will be given a refund for unused days. Have moved many times during cycles and get the credit back into my account.

wizardman wrote: »
    You don't have to wait until the end of any billing cycle. After the first 30 days you can move anytime. So you point doesn't make sense like changing from the €10 to the €5 deal didn't make sense.

If you move during a month you'll be in credit and will be given a refund for unused days. Have moved many times during cycles and get the credit back into my account.
    I did say 'before the billing cycle', so that means I wouldn't have been waiting for the billing date.ihave done this many times aswel and have moved onto free for 4 months whenever it comes up, what's the problem with moving from a 10 to a fiver a month. We were within the 14 day period and moved without even using the Sims and had them switched to the 5 per month.that 10 offer was limited and we were coming to the end of a 4 months free offer and had to take it up, the day after the 10 offer ended the 5 for 5 popped up so it made complete sense to have it switched...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Muahahaha wrote: »

Im still with Tesco 15 a month, was tempted by GoMo when it was 9.99 but couldnt face into dealing with Eir again so left it

"The dreaded eir"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What are the drawbacks with this offer, besides switching before the five months date ?

zell12 wrote: »
    What are the drawbacks with this offer, besides switching before the five months date ?

Nothing apart from you mightn't get the SMS verification texts from your bank, Paypal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Not worth switching from the tenner a GoMo deal especially as it is only the same data allowance and its €13/month then to reconnect after the 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Muahahaha wrote: »

I'm on GoMo since it came out and have never had to deal with Eir whatsoever. I have a dual SIM phone wiith a Tesco Mobile SIM on standby if I need it. That I think is the best back up plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Nothing apart from you mightn't get the SMS verification texts from your bank, Paypal etc.

That's a no no then

kn wrote: »
    Not worth switching from the tenner a GoMo deal especially as it is only the same data allowance and its €13/month then to reconnect after the 5 months.

Most won't use it but Gomo has a cap of 80GB.
    Virgin, Vodafone and 3 now have totally unlimited data on plans.

That's a no no then

Probably but someone said Virgin fixed their BOI texts problem but waiting further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Most won't use it but Gomo has a cap of 80GB.
    Virgin, Vodafone and 3 now have totally unlimited data on plans.

If your talking about Vodafone X the data is unlimited capped at 10mbps download speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Three took over O2 a while back and legacy O2 customers are treated like second class citizens. Virgin piggyback off Three at an even lover level.

So, shíte coverage and customer service then?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    So, shíte coverage and customer service then?

I've never had a coverage problem with Virgin mobile or customer service either, in Dublin.
    The only problem I've had with the service is with the SMS texts not coming through.
    They have had the problem since starting the service but no sign of it getting it sorted anytime soon so deal breaker for me.

Deal is now €5 a month for 6 months, unlimited everything on a 30 day contract.
    Great offer if you don't need the SMS verification texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I get credit union and BOI verification texts no bother on Virgin

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I get credit union and BOI verification texts no bother on Virgin

One of the lucky ones I'd say.
    Had 3 Virgin Sims recently and none of them got any SMS texts from AIB,
    Paypal, Lidl, Circle K etc.

Advertisement