Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far do you hit your clubs?

• 04-06-2020 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Got out to a driving range recently that had trackman installed. Found it really interesting to see how far i was hitting each club in the bag, tbh i thought i hit them a bit further than i do it seems, albeit this was my first time hitting them this year. I've played casually for years but beginning to take it a bit more seriously now having just joined a club.

Anyway thought it might make for a n interesting thread for people to post up their respective hcaps and average yardages for their clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

The first time I used a trackman I found my yardages were about 10% less than I expected. It didn't make sense at all so I decided the machine wasn't calibrated properly. And the second time I used one I found out I was right. Same ball was carrying 200-220m on the first day and 240-260yrds the second. To be honest I was fairly spot on with my distances before I got my watch and that confirmed I was right.

I'll give the averages from my watch too, but they're a bit distorted. I usually hit my 3w if I'm playing into a wind, so that average is down. But generally they're up for some reason.

HC 14, distances in metres

D 240 238
    3W 215 205
    5W 205 202
    4i 182 188
    5i 175 184
    6i 165 173
    7i 155 163
    8i 145 154
    9i 135 141
    PW 125 128
    GW 110 122
    SW 80 92

I'd love to see other people's yardages though. I suspect I'm longer than average particularly for my handicap because when I play with others I'm generally using a club or two less than them / hitting last from my drives. Usually when we hear stats about how far others hit it it's how far Rory hits a 5i or something. Which is incredible to hear, but not really relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭REFLINE1

blue note wrote: »
    The first time I used a trackman I found my yardages were about 10% less than I expected. It didn't make sense at all so I decided the machine wasn't calibrated properly. And the second time I used one I found out I was right. Same ball was carrying 200-220m on the first day and 240-260yrds the second. To be honest I was fairly spot on with my distances before I got my watch and that confirmed I was right.

I'll give the averages from my watch too, but they're a bit distorted. I usually hit my 3w if I'm playing into a wind, so that average is down. But generally they're up for some reason.

D 240 238
    3W 215 205
    5W 205 202
    4i 182 188
    5i 175 184
    6i 165 173
    7i 155 163
    8i 145 154
    9i 135 141
    PW 125 128
    GW 110 122
    SW 80 92

Interesting, plan to hit the range again tomorrow so will be keen to see how they compare.

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Interesting, plan to hit the range again tomorrow so will be keen to see how they compare.

Very hard to gauge on the range. Different balls, you're trying to spot how far it went beyond the 150 mark from 150m away. I wouldn't bother trying to figure out your distances from the range to be honest, you'll be too far out for any meaningful figures.

I got my yardages initially from experience on the course figuring out how far away from the middle of the green I was and how close I ended up distance wise with each club. Lots of adjusting for elevation / wind and lie a bit. I hit it very high so run isn't much of an issue for me.

The watches are good for measuring your clubs distance too, just be careful if using one that you're not codding yourself by picking the furthest ones, the ones in favourable conditions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭REFLINE1

Very hard to gauge on the range. Different balls, you're trying to spot how far it went beyond the 150 mark from 150m away. I wouldn't bother trying to figure out your distances from the range to be honest, you'll be too far out for any meaningful figures.

I got my yardages initially from experience on the course figuring out how far away from the middle of the green I was and how close I ended up distance wise with each club. Lots of adjusting for elevation / wind and lie a bit. I hit it very high so run isn't much of an issue for me.

The watches are good for measuring your clubs distance too, just be careful if using one that you're not codding yourself by picking the furthest ones, the ones in favourable conditions, etc.

ya fair point. Just trying to get an idea, as up until now would have been completely guessing, which as you can imagine doesn't lead to the correct club selection very often!

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    ya fair point. Just trying to get an idea, as up until now would have been completely guessing, which as you can imagine doesn't lead to the correct club selection very often!

Yardages are massively important, but there's little point in getting inaccurate data!

I'm glad that people seem to have come around in the last few years to all golfers caring more about accurate yardages. When I got my first watch, probably about 8 years ago, a lot of people used to say that it was a waste of money for a mid - high handicapper as we're not all that consistent with how far we hit it anyway. But my thinking was that we're not all that consistent with how straight we hit it either, but we still try to pick a specific line to hit it on anyway. Because if we're 15 yards off line, if the spot we aimed at was 10 yards off line to begin with suddenly we're 25 yards off line!

The same is true for distance. A good example is an elevated green. Go long and you might face a very tricky chip back. Short and you might hit a bunker. If you get your distance right you might have 10 yards of grace short or long where you'll still end up on the green. If you're 5 yards off you'll much more easily end up long or short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I got a shotscope V2 golf watch, super for stats and yardages.

Yardages exactly what I would expect, 7 iron just a touch long but I did go after it a couple of times lately.
    4 hybrid a touch long as well some big bounces of hard fairways into par 5s it usually Carrys 220

mike12 wrote: »
    I got a shotscope V2 golf watch, super for stats and yardages.

Yardages exactly what I would expect, 7 iron just a touch long but I did go after it a couple of times lately.
    4 hybrid a touch long as well some big bounces of hard fairways into par 5s it usually Carrys 220

What do you play off Mike? They're good distances!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I hit my 7 iron 200 yards .... but can't find the ball.

Accuracy beats distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Dtoffee wrote: »
    I hit my 7 iron 200 yards .... but can't find the ball.

Accuracy beats distance.

Not sure it does. Theres a pretty straight (;)) correlation between distance and golf score or handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Drove our first green on Monday, lasered it at 318 yards... rock hard fairway that slopes right to left so if you get the right line....

Solid 3 putt for par then.

My previous round saw me top my drive on the first, just past the ladies tees. Averaging about 180 yards with my driver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

What do you play off Mike? They're good distances!

9, cant chip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lofts have gone that ridiculous these days that one mans 7 iron is another mans 9 iron. Hard to judge how far is long without knowing the loft of the club.

My 7 iron is 35° in loft it is stock 155 yards average swing and the I adjust up and down from there depending on conditions. Last week I carried it 185 in lovely warm weather and flushing irons well yet the other day in colder weather and slight breeze I hit 142 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As far as I can, after a bad shot.

These are my distances worked out over a long time using my watch. It is for use on the course and how far from the pin i am. Its in yards. I make adjustments then depending on the conditions, uphill shot, downhill shot, warm day, cold day, wind etc.

D 250
    4W 220-240
    3H 200-215
    5 190
    6 180
    7 170
    8 160
    9 145
    PW 130
    SW 110
    LW 80

* My clubs would be considered strong in loft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭golondrinas

D 240 238
    3W 215 205
    5W 205 202
    4i 182 188
    5i 175 184
    6i 165 173
    7i 155 163
    8i 145 154
    9i 135 141
    PW 125 128
    GW 110 122
    SW 80 92

I'd love to see other people's yardages though. I suspect I'm longer than average particularly for my handicap because when I play with others I'm generally using a club or two less than them / hitting last from my drives. Usually when we hear stats about how far others hit it it's how far Rory hits a 5i or something. Which is incredible to hear, but not really relatable.

Your either a hook or ****e around the greens

Sorry.

Your either a hook or ****e around the greens

Sorry.

That's a bit harsh! Ah, there's a few reasons my handicap isn't lower. To be honest I think the course is one. I took a 4 year break from the game in 2015 and was playing off 11 at that time and probably going down from there to be honest. I think I'm playing at a similar standard now, but I'm corballis instead of tramore. Length is no great advantage in corballis. And I hit the ball very high which is a big disadvantage. I've loads of 3/4 wedges in corballis which are the worst part of my game so that costs me a couple of shots. And you're penalised so badly for going offline / long / short in corballis. In tramore you might have to punch out from trees, hit out of a bunker, have a tricky chip / pitch. In corballis you can be just off the fairway and have to hack out of the rough and god knows what shot you'll have after that.

I used to go back over my rounds and attribute my dropped shots to different components of my game. Wild drives were about 3/4 shots, putting 3/4, bunkers could be 1, chipping 1/2, pitching / three quarter shots 2/3. Irons re very few, usually one 1/2 despite how many I'd hit. And I'd always accept a couple of bogeys as decent scores. What i didn't count was strokes gained from things like driving. But I definitely gained a couple from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

T I've loads of 3/4 wedges in corballis which are the worst part of my game so that costs me a couple of shots.
    Massively off topic, but why arent you hitting less club from the tee and leave yourself with full shots in? :confused:

Agree with redzer, without knowing the club loft, distances are somewhat meaningless for comparison.
    PW anywhere from 50* to 43* and then 3-4 iron distances with 5 yards between them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Summertime estimates
    carry
    58 84m (sometimes 150m :mad:)
    54 97m
    50 110m
    pw 128m (46degree)
    9i 137m
    8i 146m
    7i 154m
    6i 161m
    5i 169m
    4i 178m
    below is carry PLUS roll avg off a tee
    2i 210ish
    3w 240ish
    1w 270ish

(My problems only really begin at 5 metres and in)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Afraid to post mine. There are some on here with pro tour yardages

GreeBo wrote: »
    Massively off topic, but why arent you hitting less club from the tee and leave yourself with full shots in? :confused:

Agree with redzer, without knowing the club loft, distances are somewhat meaningless for comparison.
    PW anywhere from 50* to 43* and then 3-4 iron distances with 5 yards between them!

I do on a couple of holes, but it's not always an option. 4th and 6th will be 3/4 shots off the tee anyway. Same for 13th and 17th depending on wind. 2nd, 7th, 11th I'll also be forced to hit 3/4 shots to the green because of where the safe lay up areas are. Then if it's very windy full shots might not be an option due to height so I might try to hit 3/4 5 irons or the like. And there'll always be one or two more in a round for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Yeah, and I'll keep to myself average putts per round and how many balls I lose on average each time I play :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

As most men would say and most women would disagree Length isn't everything, It's not how it's how many..haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I use my garmin S60 to give me my average yardages for my clubs but the problem I find at the moment is that I don't think I've built up enough data for the averages to be too reliable. Problem I have is that I will fat a few irons or mis-hit a few drives or woods during a round and then I assume pitch shots with wedges will bring the average down. So you'd have to build up an awful lot of data to iron out those anomalies unless it takes a statistical approach to calculating the average, like a bell curve for anyone who did stats in school/college.

I kind of know what i'd hit from 100 yrds up based on the figures so i'm happy I can club pretty well from it. I actually tend to go with the max figures for the short irons as being closer to the real length I hit and then for the longer clubs its probably somewhere between the max and the average allowing for the odd mis-hit....

Before I had the watch, I generally clubbed against what i'd hit from 165 yrds, usually 8/9 iron and then adjust for wind, elevation etc....I used to play ping zings which I now know were pretty strongly lofted for their time and probably more consistent with modern clubs lofts for game improvement irons. I often used to think I was pretty good that I would be hitting irons similar length to pros until I realised that pro irons are much weaker lofted so if they hit the same club as me they'd probably hit it a club longer than me.....also i'd say pros don't tend to hammer their irons as hard and go more for control as another reason my iron figures aren't bad compared to a pro....

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I use my garmin S60 to give me my average yardages for my clubs but the problem I find at the moment is that I don't think I've built up enough data for the averages to be too reliable. Problem I have is that I will fat a few irons or mis-hit a few drives or woods during a round and then I assume pitch shots with wedges will bring the average down. So you'd have to build up an awful lot of data to iron out those anomalies unless it takes a statistical approach to calculating the average, like a bell curve for anyone who did stats in school/college.

I kind of know what i'd hit from 100 yrds up based on the figures so i'm happy I can club pretty well from it. I actually tend to go with the max figures for the short irons as being closer to the real length I hit and then for the longer clubs its probably somewhere between the max and the average allowing for the odd mis-hit....

Before I had the watch, I generally clubbed against what i'd hit from 165 yrds, usually 8/9 iron and then adjust for wind, elevation etc....I used to play ping zings which I now know were pretty strongly lofted for their time and probably more consistent with modern clubs lofts for game improvement irons. I often used to think I was pretty good that I would be hitting irons similar length to pros until I realised that pro irons are much weaker lofted so if they hit the same club as me they'd probably hit it a club longer than me.....also i'd say pros don't tend to hammer their irons as hard and go more for control as another reason my iron figures aren't bad compared to a pro....

I think the garmin app ignores some of the outlier shots from your distance averages. Looking at my dispersion on the driver where I think the average would be based on it and the number it told me were the average didn't quite add up. So I think it must ignore those drives where you hit a tree and come up 100 yards short. Or I use my 8i a lot to play bump and runs, so lots of 15m shots with it. They're definitely not included in that club's average distance.

I'd still be wary of relying on the averages too much for distance though. I said earlier, I use my 3 Wood instead of driver of I'm hitting into a big wind. So the readings for that club are significantly down. In fact my 5w is down was going farther than it. I also subbed my 5i in for my 4i if I was downwind laying up on a couple of holes, so again they were level on distance as a result.

The averages from your watch are useful to calculate your club distances, but you still need to work them out yourself more precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

6 handicap

Driver 240 yards
    3 wood 215 yards
    3 iron 200 yards
    4 iron 190 yards
    5 iron 175 yards
    6 iron 165 yards
    7 iron 155 yards
    8 iron 145 yards
    9 iron 130 yards
    Pw 115 yards
    50 Gw 100 yards
    54 Gw 85 yards
    58 gw 70 yards

I'm not super long but I'm not super short either. I'm right in the middle of most I'd say and straight as an arrow. I rarely miss fairways

Just thought I'd add these so people can take an honest look at themselves.
    These are Tigers average distances from end 2019.

DRIVER: 297 YARDS
    3-WOOD: 265 YARDS
    5-WOOD: 245 YARDS
    3-IRON: 227 YARDS
    4-IRON: 215 YARDS
    5-IRON: 200 YARDS
    6-IRON: 186 YARDS
    7-IRON: 170 YARDS
    8-IRON: 157 YARDS
    9-IRON: 148 YARDS
    PITCHING WEDGE: 136 YARDS
    SAND WEDGE: 118 YARDS

If you are hitting your 9i 160+ yards then you are likely delofting it and only fooling yourself imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

At a guess

DRIVER: 200 -240 YARDS
    3-WOOD: 200YARDS
    4-IRON: 185 YARDS
    5-IRON: 170 YARDS
    6-IRON: 165 YARDS
    7-IRON: 155 YARDS
    8-IRON: 145YARDS
    9-IRON: 130 YARDS
    PITCHING WEDGE: 115 YARDS
    50 WEDGE: 100 YARDS
    54 WEDGE 75 YARDS
    58 WEDGE. about 50 to 60 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm off 16.
    I think mine are about :
    DRIVER: 220 -240 YARDS
    3-WOOD: 220YARDS
    17-hybrid: 200 YARDS
    21-hybrid: 185 YARDS
    4-IRON: 180 YARDS
    5-IRON: 170 YARDS
    6-IRON: 160 YARDS
    7-IRON: 150 YARDS
    8-IRON: 140YARDS
    9-IRON: 120 YARDS
    PITCHING WEDGE: 105 YARDS
    52 WEDGE: 80 YARDS
    56 WEDGE 65 YARDS
    60 WEDGE about 50 yards but rarely hit a full shot with it.

The biggest gap is between my PW and the 52 but depending on what's in front of me and where the flag is, I'll go with a half PW rather than a 52 or 56.

I find that my irons are a club shorter off the tee than the fairway.
    I'm generally shorter than my regular playing partners even though I'd be physically stronger.
    I'm conservative with my swing and I'm trying to be a bit looser to get more distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Driver 240 yards
    3 wood 215 yards
    3 hybrid 200 yards
    4 iron 185 yards
    5 iron 175 yards
    6 iron 165 yards
    7 iron 155 yards
    8 iron 145 yards
    9 iron 130 yards
    Pw 115 yards
    50 Gw 100 yards
    56 SW 85 yards
    60 LW 70 yards

I’m pretty much the same as this Rikand with a few tweaks. Have gone up 5 yards on everything from this time last year due to some fitness improvements

• Advertisement

I find that my irons are a club shorter off the tee than the fairway.
    I'm .

You are probably teeing the ball up too high, you want it no more than half an inch for your irons, arguably even less.

Advertisement