Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Seiko Mods

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That's a nice looking dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

hitemfrank wrote: »
    That's a nice looking dial.

Thanks it's the save the ocean great white dial. I've wanted one for ages ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Great day for the parish - sapphire and bezel arrived from DLW. OEM bracelet fitted, thanks again Ciaran. Staying OEM+ as much as I can with this. Sapphire is a must for me, can't cope with the low angle Hardlex distortion. I'm much happier with the increased clarity and depth of the dial following a swap to (low) double dome with clear AR.

First time doing a contact adhesive insert removal and swap, all went well. Minor blip with OEM bezel gasket pinching/seizing on installation, had a spare for SKX which surprisingly seated better than the OEM original.

515111.jpeg
    515112.jpeg
    515113.jpeg
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=515114&stc=1&d=1591187300

I'm much happier with the DLW Tuscan X Black ceramic. The protruding lume pip had me apprehensive but the lume colour match is good and the gold text is a much better pairing with the dial colours. A lot more subdued. The OEM SRP775 bezel is a bit too yellow/tacky gold when the light catches it for my taste.

Next on the list is a regulation of the movement with Audacity. The SRP is losing 50-60 seconds per day (to be verified) whereas my SKX007 is pretty much on the button at -4 seconds ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

That's really nice, excellent work!

So it turns out the balance wheel is fubared in my nh36 so I'm going to chase the seller for a partial refund.

Does anyone have a good source for a new nh36 that wont cost a fortune or take forever to get here. Or even if someone has a 7S26 and holder/spacer that they want rid of it would tide me over for the moment.

• Advertisement

Cousins UK have Hattori NH36 for £31.

Although who knows how long getting it from the UK will take. I've stuff either sitting in Heathrow since Saturday or with An Post since Saturday.

Sorry to hear that, pain in the ass. I wouldn't bother with a 7S26, more hassle than it's worth installing then having to swap again.

+1 CousinsUK is the job for all things OEM, same price as the Chinese equivalent on eBay. I'd be worried about shipping too, I've an item with Royal mail, left uk this day last week and still hasn't shown on the An Post radar.

I'd have a lot more confidence in the Asian suppliers using subsidised Fedex/DHL, Damian in DLW has them listed at €40 odd. Anything I've ordered during lockdown has taken max 4 days from Singapore/Hong Kong etc. It looks to be out of stock on his website but email him I'd say, he has a lot of stock that's not updated on his web inventory.

Although who knows how long getting it from the UK will take. I've stuff either sitting in Heathrow since Saturday or with An Post since Saturday.

Thanks, Its about 2 weeks from cousins at the minute I got a delivery from them yesterday

david wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, pain in the ass. I wouldn't bother with a 7S26, more hassle than it's worth installing then having to swap again.

+1 CousinsUK is the job for all things OEM, same price as the Chinese equivalent on eBay. I'd be worried about shipping too, I've an item with Royal mail, left uk this day last week and still hasn't shown on the An Post radar.

I'd have a lot more confidence in the Asian suppliers using subsidised Fedex/DHL, Damian in DLW has them listed at €40 odd. Anything I've ordered during lockdown has taken max 4 days from Singapore/Hong Kong etc. It looks to be out of stock on his website but email him I'd say, he has a lot of stock that's not updated on his web inventory.

Thanks I''ll try cousins and DLW

The seller has been in touch and he will refund me part of the cost of a new movement. I'm happy with that I got everything for around €135 including some tools and an extra bezel so even paying full price for a movement I still got a great deal.

I had some stuff show up this morning.

Case, caseback and gasket, crystal and gasket, bezel and chapter ring and gasket grease. I should have an NH36 delivered next week too :cool::cool:

Dial and hands coming from Honk Kong so it could be a while before they arrive.

I have managed to order an skx007 case by mistake and the rest for skx013 so it's going well so far :o:o:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not Seiko, but gonna try a new build with a Miyota movement - have most the parts. It may even be quicker than modding an existing watch, but that could be ridiculously optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Bought a watch chain for my great Grandfathers pocket watch this month and it was shipped from CousinsUK to Ireland in a couple of days via UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Did the 55 fathoms mod with a snzh60. Might get a crystal for it at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Very tidy!

oxocube wrote: »
    Bought a watch chain for my great Grandfathers pocket watch this month and it was shipped from CousinsUK to Ireland in a couple of days via UPS.

Mine took about a week in the end via post and it was An Post that were the issue. It was in the country for 3 days before it even showed on their tracking system and then they held on to it for another day before delivering it.

That 55 Fathoms mod is a beaut! Fair play

Crystal Times launched their european store last week (UK based) - https://www.seikomods.com/

@Wibbs would you be able to change thread title to something more inclusive, good to see a variety of projects outside of Seiko! "Today I did something to my watch thread"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Did the 55 fathoms mod with a snzh60. Might get a crystal for it at some point.

Love the 55 mod, gets the most compliments of any of my watches.

P1020143-zps1yudv6qt.jpg

The display case back is nice too as you can actually show people what is going on.

I was hoping my skx013 case would arrive this morning so I could at least get some bits put together while I wait for the dial to show up.

It left the UK at 3am on Saturday morning so An Post have had it since Saturday. They did deliver it this morning but I don't know where to. Its been signed for by someone I don't know and none of my neighbours share the same name as whoever signed for it.

Now I have to hope that An Post can figure out who they gave it to or that whoever signed for it drops it into my house.

This modding lark is a pain in the hole and I've not even started modding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I was hoping my skx013 case would arrive this morning so I could at least get some bits put together while I wait for the dial to show up.

It left the UK at 3am on Saturday morning so An Post have had it since Saturday. They did deliver it this morning but I don't know where to. Its been signed for by someone I don't know and none of my neighbours share the same name as whoever signed for it.

Now I have to hope that An Post can figure out who they gave it to or that whoever signed for it drops it into my house.

This modding lark is a pain in the hole and I've not even started modding anything.

So I got in touch with the seller on ebay to let him know that An Post fecked up and are trying to find it. He posted out another order this afternoon even though I told him not to and that I'd wait until mid next week before asking him to get in touch with Royal Mail about a refund.

• Advertisement

I never really liked the all black bezel and insert mod that I did a while ago, so I put on a different bezel today (need to give it a good clean to)

50061033998_cc366af82d_z.jpg

I'm getting antsy waiting for my dial to show up.

Due to an order error and an An Post error I now have two SKX013 cases, one 007 case and all of the bits to assemble one 013 (minus the dial I'm waiting on)

Not sure what to do with the extras at the minute.

So my dial finally showed up :eek:

The chapter ring I have is too thick and covers a bit of detail on the dial :rolleyes:

No one has a thin chapter ring in stock :mad:

So any tips on how to not pinch the seal when putting in the crystal?

The only time I've managed to get the glass seated, it pushed some of the gasket out of the way.

So any tips on how to not pinch the seal when putting in the crystal?

The only time I've managed to get the glass seated, it pushed some of the gasket out of the way.

Remove the old gasket with a wooden peg first. If reusing make sure its facing the same way when you put it back in. Clean the case, gasket and crystal spotless but don't grease, reseat it gently and get it started by hand. Lots of small presses and keep rotating it, if it looks like it's going in uneven, stop and don't press it home.

Some crystals are easier than others, my SKX double dome from Crystal times is a dream to seat with the bevelled underside, SRP double dome from DLW is a nightmare to seat evenly.

I eventually got it sorted. Pictures tomorrow

IMG-20200808-095625.jpg
    IMG-20200807-232147.jpg
    IMG-20200807-232524.jpg

It's not exactly how I would have liked but I'm happy with it. I would have preferred a black dialled version but I couldn't find one. And I probably should have got a flat crystal instead of the slight dome this has.

Excuse the out of focus last picture. My phone wouldn't focus and pick up the lume.

That is really cool and very different!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just bought this from the US

DSCF4359.jpg

Could be a while before arrives

Parts list:
    36mm oyster-style case, screw down back & crown, with 20mm lugs
    Seiko NH35 movement
    Namoki explorer dial
    Namoki mercedes hands
    GS Thin-Tite acrylic crystal
    20-16mm jubilee bracelet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

i just picked up an skx007 and thinking of some mods. Maybe batman bezel insert, saphire and a blue second hand. Confused re crystal.. clear or blue tinted? flat or double domed?

quite like the look of this

An-SKX-with-a-Batman-style-insert.jpg

Advertisement