Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless earphones for runinng

Options
  • 03-06-2020 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for a good pair of wireless earphones for running ,
    Just looking for a good pair that stay in during runs ,

What are you guys using ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Oneplus wireless bullets 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Anyone any experiences with the Aftershokz bone conduction type?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Samsung Buds work well for me and don't fall out.

You can tap either bud to pause, double tab to skip to next song and triple tab to go back. I always hated having to take my phone out to change a song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

ewc78 wrote: »
    Anyone any experiences with the Aftershokz bone conduction type?

yep, I have a pair and think they are great, but find them better for music than for podcasts. I've found it a bit annoying to be listening to a podcast and have a few seconds drowned out by traffic noise for instance, but with music it matters much less. If your runs are mostly away from heavy traffic and that level of noise i'd recommend them. One thing to be aware of though is they seem to have much more sound leakage than normal earbuds, so i'd only really wear them running or cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

simonw wrote: »
    yep, I have a pair and think they are great, but find them better for music than for podcasts. I've found it a bit annoying to be listening to a podcast and have a few seconds drowned out by traffic noise for instance, but with music it matters much less. If your runs are mostly away from heavy traffic and that level of noise i'd recommend them. One thing to be aware of though is they seem to have much more sound leakage than normal earbuds, so i'd only really wear them running or cycling

If your wearing them is it easy for someone your passing to hear them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I have them as well and think they are great. There doesn't seem to be much passive noise to others from what I can tell. I have the waterproof ones which you can swim as well. Music is fine, don't know about podcasts but I find it's great to be able to hear your surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'll only wear the plantronics backbeat fit, on my 3rd pair. Everything else falls out/off my ears. I can wear these sprinting or on long runs, all good. Definitely recommended for anyone who struggles with the in ear bud style earphones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm a huge fan of Bose but I'd recommend you steer clear of their 'active' offerings. OH has a set and she doesn't like them at all. They don't stay in her ears without a headband to cover them, and the cord between them often gets pulled by her hair. I tried them myself and they wouldn't stay in my ears either. Pairing by Bluetooth often fails and you can't pair them with a Windows laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I have them and love them - agree the sound can be drowned out in heavy traffic sometimes, but I've listened to loads of audiobooks and podcasts on them. They stay on really well and are generally comfortable, and the charge lasts a pretty long time. Not perfect, but the best headphones for running I've had. Mine broke after about 15 months, and the company replaced them free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If safety is a priority Aftershokz are your man, not so much if you’re an audiophile

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

correction wrote: »

Had a pair of these and they lasted about 15 months and were great throughout. Was in two minds whether to go for the Aftershokz but ended up spending slightly more than I did on the SoundBuds and got the SoundBuds Curve. They've been working well for about 5 months now without issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I had a great pair that I got free with a Huawei phone last year. Never had a problem with them falling out. They kind of hooked into the front of your ear. And when you took them out they magnetically joined together, so I never lost them. Small and light.

Unfortunately the dog ate them and the cost of replacing them was €65 or so and I couldn't afford that, so bought a cheaper pair that aren't as good.

Anyhow they were Huawei Am61 if you want to have a look at them and don't mind the chinese hearing your Spotify list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

If your wearing them is it easy for someone your passing to hear them ?

Depends how fast you are going! Wouldn't be worried about it when out walking or running, but more so for every day usage, sitting on a bus or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I’ve a pair of Jabra elite active 45e and once I got the fit right with them they have been excellent.

I’m using Powerbeats Pro and can’t really fault them.

The in-ear bud could be smaller but I always have that problem so I must have very small ear hole/space.

I really like the over ear hook. They are in your ear and they stay in your ear.

I started out with the ‘EarFun free’ and they are great but one felt loose in my left ear (a common enough problem for me). My partner has them and loves them so if they fit your ears you’ve found a bargain.

I’ve just seen they released an upgrade earbud called ‘EarFun air’ and they look a better design for in-ear wear. They are quite cheap so maybe worth a punt, at that price, and you can maybe pass them on to a friend/family member if they don’t work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'll only wear the plantronics backbeat fit, on my 3rd pair. Everything else falls out/off my ears. I can wear these sprinting or on long runs, all good. Definitely recommended for anyone who struggles with the in ear bud style earphones

This is me, I've spent a fortune on different types of earphones over the years and I've yet to get a pair that fit me comfortably or don't start to fall out soon into a run or cycle.
    Must have a look at those you mentioned.

Do you wear the wireless bud ones or the ones with the small wire that goes behind your neck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Cheap & cheerful headphones from Aliexpress work for me, these cost < $13 but no idea how long delivery times are now, in more normal times it was roughly a month.

515206.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Do you wear the wireless bud ones or the ones with the small wire that goes behind your neck

With the wire. I cant wear anything that is a bud unfortunately. I do a lot of sprinting and that really puts them to the test

• Advertisement

With the wire. I cant wear anything that is a bud unfortunately. I do a lot of sprinting and that really puts them to the test

I'm in the same boat the bubs just don't stay in,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I've tried various "in-ear" type ones over the last few months that were fine but tended to eliminate ambient noise (traffic, etc.) completely which doesn't work when your run includes sections on road.

I picked up a set of Aftershokz two weeks ago and must say they are great. They don't budge once you put them on and you have the comfort of hearing any ongoing traffic, etc.

I used to find that in order to have an in-ear headphone that didn't fall out, it needed to be so tight that it ended up being quite uncomfortable. Not an issue with the bone conduction ones. I've certainly been won over by them.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I've tried various "in-ear" type ones over the last few months that were fine but tended to eliminate ambient noise (traffic, etc.) completely which doesn't work when your run includes sections on road.

I picked up a set of Aftershokz two weeks ago and must say they are great. They don't budge once you put them on and you have the comfort of hearing any ongoing traffic, etc.

I used to find that in order to have an in-ear headphone that didn't fall out, it needed to be so tight that it ended up being quite uncomfortable. Not an issue with the bone conduction ones. I've certainly been won over by them.

iv heard people say the sound isn't great on them but is that "sound snobs" are they fine for running,

Also as there not in your ear how loud are they for people around you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Just to put an alternate out there. For a while now I've been using tiny single Bluetooth earbuds I pick up from eBay, typically for €3 or so. I usually have three or four in rotation at a time and don't get upset as they get lost or sat on, etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-S650-Wireless-Invisible-Bluetooth-4-1-Earphone-Earbud-Headset-Headphone-hi/142892783078

(Search for "mini Bluetooth S650" and sort to get the cheapest. S530 is similar, just slightly different shape).

They are really light with no wires or sticky out bits so once they're in the ear I find they don't tend to jump around or fall out. Only having one with the other ear open actually suits my situational awareness needs very well. The description describes them as stereo but as there's only one bud, I figure that's bogus.

Bluetooth signals don't pass through the body well and there's only a tiny antenna that's basically inside the ear so they can be quite sensitive to phone placement and orientation. Phone in a waist belt at the front works reliably for me. (Hate armbands). Battery life is usually about an hour, sufficient for a regular run. For longer runs I stick a couple in my pocket and don't have a problem switching over without interrupting the run as they go out of juice. Not at high pace obviously but I'd only bring my phone for easy and long runs.

Another potential drawback for some might be the sound quality which at this size and price can't be the best. I think it's fine for running music but mostly do speech/podcasts anyway. The microphone is dreadful but OK for answering calls with "Hi, sorry about the sound quality I'm out in the wind. I'll ring you back in a minute". So by no means perfect but I'm more happy than I expected to be at this price.

iv heard people say the sound isn't great on them but is that "sound snobs" are they fine for running,

Also as there not in your ear how loud are they for people around you ?

Yes, definitely a sound snobbery thing! I listen to both playlists and radio when out running and both are fine.

I haven't used them in an indoor setting but the sound doesn't leek unless you have them at the max.

Yes, definitely a sound snobbery thing! I listen to both playlists and radio when out running and both are fine.

I haven't used them in an indoor setting but the sound doesn't leek unless you have them at the max.
    Does the plastic bit that sits on the back of the neck bounce around or does it protrude much?
    Could you wear a cap or would it get in the way?
    As a follicly challenged runner I have to wear a cap this time of the year or I get an awful roasting up there!

FinnC wrote: »
    Does the plastic bit that sits on the back of the neck bounce around or does it protrude much?
    Could you wear a cap or would it get in the way?
    As a follicly challenged runner I have to wear a cap this time of the year or I get an awful roasting up there!

I wear a cap every time I run (due to coverage becoming increasingly lighter on top and to shade the back of the neck from the sun). No issues with it. The device literally doesn't budge at all, was very pleasantly surprised by this as I was sceptical before purchase.

I wear a cap every time I run (due to coverage becoming increasingly lighter on top and to shade the back of the neck from the sun). No issues with it. The device literally doesn't budge at all, was very pleasantly surprised by this as I was sceptical before purchase.

Cheers. I've been considering the Trekz Air version. I'm not a music snob so I'm sure my 80's Power ballads mix will sound just fine with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Bose but I'd recommend you steer clear of their 'active' offerings. OH has a set and she doesn't like them at all. They don't stay in her ears without a headband to cover them, and the cord between them often gets pulled by her hair. I tried them myself and they wouldn't stay in my ears either. Pairing by Bluetooth often fails and you can't pair them with a Windows laptop.

I have the Bose soundsport and couldn’t recommend them highly enough, actually have two pairs cause I lost one pair and found them again.
    They are the only ones that will stay in my ears, maybe a funny shape but the rings are foolproof,
    The sound is top class and in over two years they’ve never failed to pair with Bluetooth, it is instantaneous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

AirPods & Apple Watch combination is lethal

Advertisement