Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST in the Spotlight - healy1835

• 01-06-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Thanks again to ReeReeG for lobbing me into the spotlight last week. It was enjoyable but those questions sure did come on fast.

Speaking of fast, I approached one of our speedy boardies for this week's spotlight. It was his Berlin plastic cup incident that I first read when coming back to the Running Forum. He recently ditched the mile TT thread as it was too short and too easy for him :D:p

A bilingual runner: speaks both kms and miles with ease :)
    A man not afraid of testing himself to the limit, even if it is a stretch too far. Its all learning he takes in his stride. Ran the most clandestine sub3 ever on this Forum...

So... this is what I'd imagine if I were lining up to race him..

il_570xN.1508358623_gbw0.jpg

Thank you for stepping in J. A couple of gentle ones to get you going...

1. Would you go back to Berlin?
    2. If you could change one thing about the forum or any of its inhabitants, what would it be?
    3. Best Christmas present as a kid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Thanks to Shotgunmcos for the nomination. I think it's gonna be a case of after the Lord mayor's show here trying to follow M, but I'll give it a shot :)

1. Would you go back to Berlin?

No doubt about it! For those not in the loop I ran Berlin in 2017 and was hoping to run somewhere in or around 3:05, which in hindsight was not a great target to choose. Was on pace for about 20 Miles and then came a cropper on a plastic cup and struggled home in 3:15. Loved the city, the race, the organisation and build up. I also speak German, which just added to the whole experience.

I've made a pact with myself that I'm not going to run Berlin until I've ran the Fast Runner qualifying time which, for the next 6 years anyway, stands at sub 2:45. That's the goal.

2. If you could change one thing about the forum or any of its inhabitants, what would it be?

Maybe after things have returned to something like normality, it'd be good to have a Boards meet up/training session/time trial/race or something. I've only met a handful of people on here in the real world. Might be a bit of craic. 'Internet Friends' :)

3. Best Christmas present as a kid?

I was both spoiled and easily pleased as a kid. Usually a United Jersey and a good book would see me contented. I do have some very fond memories of my Commodore 64, which as well as being a great computer, also worked wonders in giving me and my older sister something to do together that wasn't fighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

What mile time would you have ran if you hadn't bottled it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

1. Kildare GAA, what’s gone wrong?
    2. Favourite session?
    3. How come you ignored me at the South Dublin 10k last year?
    4. Best running shoe you’ve owned?
    5. Strongest character trait?
    6. One race to right a wrong, which one & why?
    7. Sport of choice as a youngster?
    8. Favourite public house & why?
    9. Best player you’ve seen don the white of Kildare?
    10. Pet hate, what annoys you the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Commodore 64! You must be nearly as ancient as me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Good choice.

1. I'm assuming marathon is your favourite distance. Have you a Holy Grail time that you could happily retire at?

2. What sports person inspired you growing up and why?

3. You seem to nail so many sessions of the longer variety. What's your favourite session?

4. What's your favourite place you have visited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

1. Man United 2008 v Man United 1999?
    2. Would you have qualified for Berlin if your spring marathon wasn't cancelled?
    3. Present company excluded obviously. Favourite man United player.
    4. Biggest influence on your running
    5. What piece of advice would you give somebody about running.
    6. How long have you been running.
    7. What would you tell your 18 year old self
    8. What positives will you take from the current situation.
    9. Interests outside sport. (if such a thing exists)
    10. Any one person you would like to have a pint with?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    What mile time would you have ran if you hadn't bottled it?

I genuinely have no idea. I'd like to think I might have dipped under the 5 mins but I wouldn't be very confident of that coming to pass. I don't think the Mile would be where my strengths lie :)

1. Kildare GAA, what’s gone wrong?

Jaysus, I don't want to totally derail this thread this early on by going too in depth here. We were there or thereabouts under McGeeney but have regressed since. I think the players are there to be an annual Super 8 team, but they haven't shown any consistency. Cian Ó Néill, RTÉ Six One appearances aside, was quite a poor manager in my opinion, and not much of an improvement on Jason Ryan. Early days with Jack O'Connor, but I remain hopeful. That's the abridged version anyway B :)

2. Favourite session?

I like a good 400's session on the track when you get a nice rhythm going. But it's the longer tempos that would be the favourite. 5,6,8,10 mile tempos. I just enjoy them, dialling in a pace and taking them on.

3. How come you ignored me at the South Dublin 10k last year?
    I would dispute that version of events. If I didn't see you in the first place I couldn't have ignored you. You were actually the first person from Boards who I met in the real world that day in Mullingar when I arranged to meet up with a chap by the name of Tang :)

4. Best running shoe you’ve owned?

I love the Nike Zoom Streak 6's. My favourite shoes that I use for a lot of my sessions. It's strange that the Streak 7's are so hard to get hold of over this side of the world, another sign of the carbon plated times we live in I suppose, but I'm hoping to pick a pair up in the next little while.

Honorable mention to the Brooks St 5 racers that I wore the day I popped my sub 3 cherry :)

5. Strongest character trait?

I'd like to think I'm pretty level headed. I tend not to get too fazed by things, whether situations are good or bad. This has helped me in my career and my running so far.

6. One race to right a wrong, which one & why?

Berlin has been mentioned above, but there is a kernel of doubt in the back of my mind that I've never ran a good race overseas. I've done Berlin '17 and Rotterdam' 18 and it's fair to say they were big disappointments. I was hoping that Manchester would put that to bed and then drive it home in Amsterdam in October. Will just have to put that on hold.

7. Sport of choice as a youngster?

Soccer & Pitch and Putt. Played Harding and Collingwood Cup for NUI Maynooth and was a scratch Pitch and Putt player.

8. Favourite public house & why?

Flanagans in Newbridge. Been the local since I was, ahem, sixteen. Great spot to watch a match, listen to music, go for a quiet pint, go for a noisy pint, pre match pint, post match pint and, on occasion, a half time pint, such is it's proximity to Conleths Park :)

9. Best player you’ve seen don the white of Kildare?

Niall Buckley. Not even close. A magnificent player who was lost to the inter county game before he was 30, when he emigrated to the US. A rare breed of vision, fielding and scoring that you rarely see in a midfielder.

10. Pet hate, what annoys you the most?

People who aren't genuine. Who you always suspect are talking to you until someone more interesting comes along. Can't stand that trait in people.

1. I'm assuming marathon is your favourite distance. Have you a Holy Grail time that you could happily retire at?

I love the whole process of training for marathon. The build up, the gradual improvements, the buzz, the planning, the anticipation and, I suppose, the race itself :)

I do like Half Marathons and 10 Milers though. I was possibly gonna target a Spring half marathon in 21 before the racing calendar was voided. CPC Loop Den Haag or The Big Half in London. I just fancied having a craic at a fast Half marathon for a change because for all it's positives, the race series half in the PP isn't exactly an easy track, and that's where I've ran my PB. Actually come to think of it, ive ran 4 HM PB's in that race :)

No time in mind to retire at. I'm just gonna try and keep improving and enjoying the process. I've hit many times that I never dreamed I'd get near, so I'm just gonna see where I end up :)

2. What sports person inspired you growing up and why?

Aside from the great Nuckser Buckley as mentioned above, I was, and still am, a big United fan. Was a big Andy Cole fan. Always admired how he stuck at it and saw off a lot of strikers at United and came through a couple of ropey patches.

4. What's your favourite place you have visited.

My destination list wouldn't be very comprehensive, but I've traveled a bit. Favourite spot would probably be a toss up between Hvar, a beautiful island off the Croatian coast or Lake Bled in Slovenia. Two idyllic spots. Its funny, I look back now at some of the places I went on holidays, and I really wish I was running at the time! London, New York, Eastern Europe, West Coast in the US. Loads of great spots that I'd kill to run in now.

One more before I hit the hay. Yesterday's beers are catching up with me big time...

1. Man United 2008 v Man United 1999?

Who's my favourite child!? I think the 2008 team were better. Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Vidic, and so on. But the 1999 would have to be the more loved team. That 4 in midfield, Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs. Doesn't get any better than that.

Both teams should have won more than the one European Cup though. A few infuriating exits for both teams; Leverkusen, Dortmund, Pórtó, Munich, Madrid...

2. Would you have qualified for Berlin if your spring marathon wasn't cancelled?

I'd like to think I might have gotten there by Amsterdam. May have been a bit of a stretch for Manchester. Was planning on going out at 2:48 pace there, so even if I had a great day and a negative split, 2:44:xx probably wasn't gonna happen.

3. Present company excluded obviously. Favourite man United player.

Roy Keane. It's a little unfortunate that he's become a bit of a caricature these days as a pundit, but he was a force of nature on the pitch. Very underrated footballer who was a brilliant passer of the ball. Just a brilliant, brilliant player.

Also a big Ruud van Nistelrooy fan. Thought he got a raw deal by the end, but Utd had put all their chips on Ronaldo and he didn't fit into that plan. Hands down the best striker I've seen play for United.

4. Biggest influence on your running.

My mate who looks after my training plans. I basically owe my entire running career to him. He'd be an invaluable source of information, advice and knowledge and I'm very lucky to have that.

TBC... :)

• Advertisement

6. How long have you been running.

DCM 15 was my first marathon so I started training in June of that year. Had done little bits here and there beforehand but nothing that would have precluded me from my novice status at the time :)

7. What would you tell your 18 year old self.

Don't be too worried about what other people think about you. There's usually a few important people in your life who's opinions you need to take on board, but that number is not big. Be yourself and hopefully you'll be happy with that. Older Johnny has certainly taken these mantras on board.

8. What positives will you take from the current situation.

I'm hoping that i/we will not take things for granted as much in the future. I'm certainly going to stop putting things on the long finger and try and be more proactive.

9. Interests outside sport. (if such a thing exists)

Bit of a film buff, so the closure of cinemas has hit me hard! Read a lot, decent mix between fiction and auto biographies, usually sports related. Big Stephen King fan, the Dark Tower series in particular but I reckon I've read everything he's ever released. Children have curtailed my gaming in recent years, but I've always had whatever consoles were on the go. The Last of Us II is coming out in a little bit on the PS4 so I'll probably pick that up and try to find a bit of time to complete it.

Right now, I'd sit down for a creamy pint of stout with anyone if there was one going :) I'd love to be having a pint in Thurles with my Dad on Munster final day. He's a Clareman so I've been going to games with him since the late 80's. Was lucky enough to be there for 95, 97 and 13, so even if Kildare never win an All Ireland, I've still experienced those amazing days.

As regards Thurles, there's something about that place on big match days, and even though the Banner haven't had a great track record there in my time, I always enjoy heading down with the Da.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hey there Healy, we don't actually "know" one another but I certainly enjoy reading and following your log so I thought I'd shoot a few general questions your way...:)

1) What do you miss most about the pre-internet/social media age?

2) Judging by the questions that have already been sent your way, you appear to be one of many GAA followers on the A/R forum.It's a sport that's never interested me in the slightest. What's the appeal? 

3) So, a Utd. supporter eh? Which ex-Utd player do you think delivers the best pre/post-match analysis?

4) Another Red Devils question. What's your earliest memory of supporting Man Utd?

5) Do any of your close friends/family share your love for running?

6) Is there any aspect of your running that you would like to change? 

7) Do you play any musical instruments? If not, is there one that you'd like to learn?

8) I see you are a Stephen King fan (I've not read any of his books since he released Needful Things). Are there any movie adaptations of his books that you would consider to be 'stinkers'?

9) Do you think you would be a different runner without the A/R forum?

10) Favourite way to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Hi,

How long after DCM '15 until you joined your club? How did it come about?

I don't ever remember you getting injured how much S&C do you add to your training?

Favourite place to run?

Cross country?

Magic cure for Covid 19 suddenly announced. What would you like to be your first comeback race and why?

Advice for someone going for their first marathon?

Will I ever beat you in a race?

1) What do you miss most about the pre-internet/social media age?

That's a good one. I'll preface my answer by saying that while I do miss some aspects, I do try to embrace new technologies as much as possible and the Internet, for all it's shortcomings is an amazing tool to have.

Whilst I embrace platforms like podcasts and online media sites, I do miss not being constantly 'tuned in' or 'connected'. Getting a newspaper in the morning and being properly taken aback by what you read, or seeing a trailer for a film when you are at the cinema and being excited as you never knew it was coming out at all...'THERE'S A BACK TO THE FUTURE III?'.

2) Judging by the questions that have already been sent your way, you appear to be one of many GAA followers on the A/R forum.It's a sport that's never interested me in the slightest. What's the appeal?

I'd be an equal opportunities type of sports fan! Outside of horse racing there's probably not another sport I wouldn't follow with interest. I suppose GAA is unique in that it's the only sport(s) that you know you are getting the best possible version of that sport. Soccer, Rugby etc they're all done better in different parts of the world, but with GAA it's ours. Add in the unique quirk of its amateur status, historical significance, importance to local communities and you have something to be proud of I reckon. And there's not a greater sporting spectacle than a top class game of hurling.

3) So, a Utd. supporter eh? Which ex-Utd player do you think delivers the best pre/post-match analysis?

I'd say Gary Nev, but himself and Carragher seem to be believing their own hype and are disappearing up their own backsides lately. Neville is very good on co-comms though. The rest are all the same shade of bland aren't they? Scholes, Rio, Hargreaves, Michael bloody Owen... You wouldn't be going out of your way to listen to them. Second Captains would be my preferred source for some football talk...

4) Another Red Devils question. What's your earliest memory of supporting Man Utd?

Probably the 90 Cup final when they drew 3-3 with Palace. I've jerseys from earlier than that, but that's a vivid memory. Was a big Paul Ince fan in those days :) broke my heart when he came back to that other shower...

5) Do any of your close friends/family share your love for running?
    Nope! They're all enthusiastic but none have gotten the bug. Saying that, I've made some really close friends in running since I started, but none of my pre 2015 mates has taken the plunge.

6) Is there any aspect of your running that you would like to change?

Eh, would like to get more sleep. If I read one more article espousing the benefits of sleep to your performance I'm going to scream. That's where my big gains are gonna come from I reckon, when I finally get the opportunity to get a consistent night's sleep.

7) Do you play any musical instruments? If not, is there one that you'd like to learn?

No and no! My dad was professional musician, a trumpet player and my sister is a piano teacher. Those genes skipped me and I'm not too bothered :) going to gigs is about as musical as I'll ever get I think.

8) I see you are a Stephen King fan (I've not read any of his books since he released Needful Things). Are there any movie adaptations of his books that you would consider to be 'stinkers'?

Oh god, I could derail this thread if I start into this. The Dark Tower movie with Idiris Elba and Matthew McConaughey from a couple of years back was maybe to biggest movie disappointment of my life. The whole project went from a planed 3 Movie PLUS a concurrent 4 season TV series which focuses on the main character, Roland's younger years and how he became a Gunslinger..... To a 90 mins long piece of crap, that changed directors and scriptwriters a few times and was so bad that it destroyed any chance of the series or other movies being made.

9) Do you think you would be a different runner without the A/R forum?

Absolutley. I've gained a huge amount of knowledge and information on the sight. Plus it just makes things more enjoyable when you can chat about shared interests with a diverse group of Internet Friends :)

10) Favourite way to travel?

I like to run into work as much as possible. New shower installed in the workplace recently so will try to get a few more commutes in.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Getting a newspaper in the morning and being properly taken aback by what you read

I miss this too. Buying the newspaper on a daily basis was something I always looked forward to. Big crossword buff too to used to love doing those in the IT every day. For posterity, I have kept copies of newspapers when there's been an important world event of some sort or if the date has some particular relevance to me.
    I just enjoy having that physical reminder to look back on. Stark contrast to a lot of today's throwaway news channels.

My dad was professional musician, a trumpet player

Not sure what vintage your dad is but he wasn't involved in the Showband era by any chance was he?

How long after DCM '15 until you joined your club? How did it come about?

January 2019! I suppose I never felt under too much pressure as I had my training sorted out and a couple of regular training partners. But by osmosis I just crossed paths with people from the club a good bit at races etc and I also wanted my own kids to join the AC when they were old enough so I said I may make the effort and get involved. I enjoy running for the club even if I've been poor enough at representing the club at County races etc. Whilst I did score for the team in the national marathon championships last year I definitely plan to run a few more races when they come back. Might even dip the toe into XC.

I don't ever remember you getting injured how much S&C do you add to your training?

Next question please. My lack of injuries has had nothing to do with S&C. I keep telling myself I'm going to do some....but it's still to happen.

Favourite place to run?

Would have to be the Curragh. Between the plains and the local roads its a fantastic spot to run. I love running in the Phoenix Park and on the Clontarf sea front as well though.

Cross country?

I'm aware of its existence ;) I suppose, like a few others, I'm usually deep in marathon training when the club events take place and whilst I know one or two guys (Duanington being a great example from these parts who ran a 36min 10k PB in a bloody XC race a couple of years back :o) who do successfully combine them both, I don't really think they're compatable if you want to nail the marathon. Hopefully will get a chance to do some this autumn fingers crossed.

Magic cure for Covid 19 suddenly announced. What would you like to be your first comeback race and why?

Well I think I'd just jump jn a 5k race because it would most likely be stacked with everyone looking to race again and I would hopefully break 17 mins, thus ending my 5k career.

Advice for someone going for their first marathon?

Enjoy the whole process and really immerse yourself in the build up. For me DCM was and is the perfect debut marathon. I love the momentum that the race series gives you and despite the naysayers I think it's an excellently organised race. I still have great memories of rocking up to the Frank Duffy in 2015, handheld bottle in tow, and really being taken in by the whole atmosphere and occasion.

Will I ever beat you in a race?

Well we have a fairly small sample size to go from ;) you weren't at full tilt for the Jingle Bells. If you were, we might have got each other under the 17 mins! I await your transition to the longer stuff with interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

(1) Last running injury?

(2) Some of your training paces always seem to be 'faster' than people of similar abilities - do you ever 2nd guess your coach?

(3) Supplemental work???

(4) Whats your best (not the same as favourite) distance now?

(5) Are your 'workmates' aware of your log?

(6) Would they be surprised by the 'J.Healy' they see in the log vrs real life - given your profession.

(7) Saipan - Mick or Roy?

(8) Had we of ran Manchester - who would have won ;) - would you have let me pee on the walls of OT?

(1) Last running injury?

Tweaked a piriformis during the Enniscorthy 10k in 2017...that's been it really. Just been pretty lucky thus far.

(2) Some of your training paces always seem to be 'faster' than people of similar abilities - do you ever 2nd guess your coach?

Well I suppose I've tried to work on that the last 18 months or so. I think I know where you're coming from but it was more of a case of a few stupid sessions here and there rather than a prolonged pattern. I'm more disciplined now.

As regards 2nd guessing the coach, not really. He tweaks things depending on the times and feedback coming back to him, it's not like the 16 weeks of a Marathon block are laid out from week 1. I know you wouldn't be comfortable working like that, but it suits me. All I ask for is an outline with races and LR sessions so I can plan around them. Other than that I don't need to know too far ahead into the plan :)

(3) Supplemental work???

Does walking the dog count?

(4) Whats your best (not the same as favourite) distance now?

That's a good one. I'm gonna say the marathon, even though I think I haven't shown close to my potential there yet. I loved planning and then executing the race in Dublin last year. That feeling of being in control and the ability to kick on right on queue was very satisfying. It was of course a little on the conservative side of things and that is something I need to figure out. A lot of my best races have involved conservative starts and negative splits, but at the same time I feel like these tactics might be holding me back a little. I don't know...

(5) Are your 'workmates' aware of your log?

Not at all. Or maybe they read every word of it!

(6) Would they be surprised by the 'J.Healy' they see in the log vrs real life - given your profession.

Yeah they probably would. Whilst I'm not some tyrant, I do have social boundaries in place in work. It just makes decision making a lot more straight forward and less complicated. (I'm a primary school principal for those wondering :))

(7) Saipan - Mick or Roy?

I'm surprised you asked... But I can see both sides of it. It was just a pity for all concerned that it happened. That was a soft World Cup, and we were a decent side.

(8) Had we of ran Manchester - who would have won ;) - would you have let me pee on the walls of OT?

I think we would have made good partners for each other, maybe crossing the finish line together in or around 2:48 ;) although I'm not sure when we'll get the chance again as you'll most likely be swanning off to Berlin, Fast Runner status in the back pocket.
    As regards peeing on the walls of OT, let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Hi J!

1. Film fan - excellent. Three favourites?
    2. Favourite Irish film?
    3. Favourite Irish film actors (M&F)?
    4. Favourite running film?
    5. Favourite Irish running film (just kidding).
    6. Worst film you’ve ever seen, apart from Dark Tower?
    7. Best film made in Meath?
    8. Favourite short film (if any)?
    9. Lenny Abrahamson - Irish Spielberg or privileged South Dublin twat?
    10. What are your PBs? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

So many questions asked already.

1. Why do you hate the 5k?
    2. Favorite tempo shoe?
    3. Favourite fast session shoe?
    4. Favourite easy show?
    5. Favourite movie genres and film?
    6. What car do you drive?
    7. Best thing about lockdown?
    8. What do you think you'll max out at in weekly mileage terms?do you think you're at your sweet spot?
    9. Do you enjoy regular pints or are you sensible?
    10. Guilty pleasure when it comes to food/drink?
    11. Favourite restaurant?
    12. Have you read krustys log from start to finish?
    13. First Boardsie you would look to for running advice.

• Advertisement

1. Film fan - excellent. Three favourites?

In no particular order, 3 of my favourite popcorn movies... Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade, Gladiator, The Two Towers.

2. Favourite Irish film?

Big fan of The Commitments. Saviours, the Ross Whitaker boxing documentary was amazing.

3. Favourite Irish film actors (M&F)?

Cillian Murphy & Ruth Negga.

4. Favourite running film?

Enjoyed The Barkley Marathons on Netflix and the recent Boston doc. Usually show the XC club in school the Jared Leto-starring Pre movie, which actually isn't all that bad :)

5. Favourite Irish running film (just kidding).

You might joke, but I always watch the DCM post race productions on YouTube before the big day. Red Box media I think? They're really enjoyable and always get the adrenaline flowing.

6. Worst film you’ve ever seen, apart from Dark Tower?

I've seen many turkeys in my time, Batman & Robin was famously bad. Rise of Skywalker was very disappointing. But pound for pound, it would have to be Love Actually. I've probably made some enemies there.

7. Best film made in Meath?

It has to be that martial arts movie doesn't it? Mikey Graham is the gangster in it. Only seen the trailer to be fair, but it's pure gold. I'll root out a link here... Fatal Deviation, that's it.

https://youtu.be/xX4td1XCkP0

8. Favourite short film (if any)?

Aside from the Pixar shorts, none are coming to mind. The spoof trailers at the start of Tropic Thunder are good value, albeit a little too offensive for some.

9. Lenny Abrahamson - Irish Spielberg or privileged South Dublin twat?

Yeah, that's a good question. I'm not entirely sure tbh. I've read a couple of print interviews with him where I didn't think he came over well at all, but he was a good listen in a recent interview on the Second Captains podcast. Not many other Irish directors are operating with such a profile right now so more luck to him.

10. What are your PBs? :D

5k: 17:06
    5 Miles: 28:12
    10k: 35:10
    10 Miles: 59:42
    HM: 1:19:40
    Mar: 2:53:55

Fatal Deviation! A new one on me, but the "Experiance it in IMAX" credit says it all. And what a cast. :)

Very interesting answers. I'd argue the toss about whether The Commitments is an Irish film or not, but it's certainly one of my own reference points! Agree that Saviours. I remember seeing that in an actual cinema just down the road from the actual club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Right now, I'd sit down for a creamy pint of stout with anyone if there was one going :) I'd love to be having a pint in Thurles with my Dad on Munster final day. He's a Clareman so I've been going to games with him since the late 80's. Was lucky enough to be there for 95, 97 and 13, so even if Kildare never win an All Ireland, I've still experienced those amazing days.

As regards Thurles, there's something about that place on big match days, and even though the Banner haven't had a great track record there in my time, I always enjoy heading down with the Da.

I'm not from Munster either, but I share similar happy memories of heading to the Munster finals with my dad - a proud Waterford man. The atmosphere in Thurles on Munster final day is just something else.

Questions:

1. Least favourite type of running session?
    2. Favourite sports biography?
    3. Money/time no object, where would be your dream holiday destination?

1. Why do you hate the 5k?

It's probably a mental block more than anything. Had a couple of poor ones starting out and just sort of avoided them after that. Might come around in years to come but for now they can keep :)

2. Favorite tempo shoe?
    3. Favourite fast session shoe?

Zoom streak for both! But to be fair, if I have a big, target session coming up I'll throw on the 4%'s. As much for recovery afterwards as anything else.

4. Favourite easy show?

The US Office or Parks and Rec. Could watch a good few episodes back to back without spending too much energy... Oh, easy shoe you mean? Epic Reacts ;)

5. Favourite movie genres and film?

Like most genres to be fair. Comic book movies and Sci fi would probably be top of the list. Thor Ragnarok and Serenity would be a good example of each :)

6. What car do you drive?

Skoda Octavia. On it's last legs, hopefully will pick up a Kodiaq before the next NCT is due.

7. Best thing about lockdown?

Not much I have to say. I have managed to paint fences, walls and decking in the back garden I suppose.

8. What do you think you'll max out at in weekly mileage terms?do you think you're at your sweet spot?

Yeah I think I could get 140k in if sleep was better and children were older. Looking at getting a treadmill when all of this crap is over to possibly supplement my current mileage.

9. Do you enjoy regular pints or are you sensible?

Not really. When I do get out I enjoy them though. I could easily go a couple of months without, but if I'm out, I'm out :)

10. Guilty pleasure when it comes to food/drink?

I love Guinness, but I'm limited to post marathon race day pints and Christmas pints. Let's just say those creamy pints are not with out some collateral damage...
    Indian food/kebabs.

11. Favourite restaurant?

Jaipore Indian restaurant in Newbridge. An institution around these parts :)

12. Have you read krustys log from start to finish?

No, but I've come across many informative posts by him in the Sub 3 and Sub 2:50 threads.

13. First Boardsie you would look to for running advice.

AMK has helped me out a few times on various things. OOnegative as well. And as I've said, TbL played his part in cajoling me to give Limerick a rattle after Rotterdam disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hello again :)

(1) The Next% are good shoes but the Alphafly are cheat shoes: Discuss:

(2) So many people I know are moving to be coached by Wilsons - would you be part of that group? Why Not? ( :) )

(3) I cannot believe you've not read Krustys Log!!
    Are there other logs that you have read from former posters???
    Jebuz is worth a read - he got a mention on RunnerBeans last week from Donal C.
    SMMoore & Kiely Unusual are also worth dipping into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lol another one who was reared in Semple Stadium, in different colours though as the daughter for 2 Tipp people. Coogy i can't believe you don't get it :eek:

1. Any professional tips for mums (or dads) trying to home school primary school kids right now and work?
    2. What's your marathon progression been?
    3. In mileage terms which do you think is more important quality or quantity?
    4. What was the motivation behind your first marathon (DCM 2015 i think?)?
    5. What kind of dog do you have?

(1) The Next% are good shoes but the Alphafly are cheat shoes: Discuss:

You're sort of like Sam Smith with the Jordan Rules book in the 80's here, except rather than Horace Grant feeding you info you've got Jordan himself giving you the inside track! Don't worry folks I'm not likening myself to His Airness, rather the fact that AMK knows a couple of these answers already :)

Yeah I'm not gonna go Full AlphaFly. They're just a step too far. Now I realise that there's not a lot of logic to that decision as I've already gotten on board this bandwagon with the 4% and the Next%'s...but I'm gonna sit these ones out. Just too much for me.

(2) So many people I know are moving to be coached by Wilsons - would you be part of that group? Why Not? ( :) )

I'll plead the 5th amendment to this one.

(3) I cannot believe you've not read Krustys Log!!
    Are there other logs that you have read from former posters???
    Jebuz is worth a read - he got a mention on RunnerBeans last week from Donal C.
    SMMoore & Kiely Unusual are also worth dipping into.

I'll definitely have a look at those if someone cares to put a link up. I've gone through a good few logs in the past but they were sub 3 type logs, rather than the sort of times some of those gentlemen have ran. One of my mates is Ronnie085 from these parts back in the day. He's threatening to make a Marathon comeback in 2021...

Not sure what vintage your dad is but he wasn't involved in the Showband era by any chance was he?

He certainly was. He was a member of the Army Band but he took a couple of years out and toured around the UK in the late 60's on the showband circuit. He was definitely in the Royal Showband, and one or two others. Toured with the Monkees too :)

1. Least favourite type of running session?

I find mid range stuff like 500s or 600s are always tricky to get right. Even if the pace is within reason, there's always a nagging feeling that you're not going fast enough. Probably chose 500s because I had a disastrous session about 10 days out from Limerick HM when I DNF'd. Turned out there was a bout of Slapped Cheek in our house but the memory of that session remains :(

2. Favourite sports biography?

I remember getting Frankly Speaking, the great Frank Stapleton's biography from the library when I was about 10 :) that was my entry into the sports biographies, and thankfully I've read a few that improved on that fantastically titled tome.

Have read pretty much everything that's out there regarding doping in cycling and the Lance era. Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race was a great one. Jim Stynes biography was a great read. Although I think there's a part of me that has never recovered emotionally from the documentary on Jim that covered his fight against cancer. Every Heart Beats True I think it was called. I remember my wife coming down the stairs to find me watching it in floods of tears and getting quite the fright... An inspirational man.

Have read most of the biographies on major Irish sports figures. Some better than others, Tony Cascarino, Paul McGrath bith essential reading. Really enjoyed Eddie O'Sullivan's funnily enough, a man whose place in the Irish sporting pantheon is very under appreciated.

Not quite a sports biography, but the Sports Gene by David Epstein is a brilliant read.

3. Money/time no object, where would be your dream holiday destination?

I'd love to go back to the west coast of the US. Went a few years back and really enjoyed it. Think I'd appreciate it more now though and would love to get a run in a few spots that we visited. San Fran, Santa Barbara, Monterrey, San Diego, Yosemite, Vegas.... What a holiday :)

• Advertisement

He certainly was. He was a member of the Army Band but he took a couple of years out and toured around the UK in the late 60's on the showband circuit. He was definitely in the Royal Showband, and one or two others. Toured with the Monkees too :)

Wow, that's gas!

My own dad was a singer in a band called The Altonaires during the 60's.

He would have been very familiar with a lot of others on the scene at the time, especially the household names like Sonny Knowles/Dickie Rock/Brendan Bowyer/Red Hurley etc.

Still singing away, never lost it.

Advertisement