Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online burial registers

• 03-06-2020 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Is there a list of online burial registers (not findagrave) covering period 1910 to 1921 for the 26 counties please?
    Any help with this would be most welcome.
    Thanking you very much in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think the short answer is no.

Burial registers for some areas have been uploaded but there isn't a single resource covering all 26 counties.

What area/s are you most interested in?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭enfield

Thank you Hermy, mainly Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Roscommon, Galway, Clare, Westmeath, Kerry, Waterford to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ath262

a few for County Dublin, Glasnevin (€), Deansgrange & Shangannagh, Buried in Fingal

and on e for County Kerry - Kerry Local Authority Burials

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Excellent, thank you very much for these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There is a directory of all graveyards for Dublin here:

https://databases.dublincity.ie/graveyards/search.php

Findagrave, Billion Graves, Historic Graves and Interment.net all have coverage.

Don't forget the IGP Archives as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you PinkyPinky, all good information and most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

There is also https://www.irishgraveyards.ie/

Kiltullagh cemeteries in Co. Roscommon are also on FindMyPast (found my 3x great grandparents headstone there) https://search.findmypast.ie/search-world-Records/ireland-roscommon-kiltullagh-cemeteries

Excellent references and sites, thank you all most sincerely for these.
    Kindest regards.

• Advertisement

Great list everyone. I'm going to sticky it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

One more here: Skibbheritage centre have a database on a number of West Cork burials and funeral registers digested and indexed available to search online.

https://skibbheritage.com/graveyards/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

Cambrai Street, Shankill Cemetery, Belfast.
    http://www.cambraistreet.co.uk/burials.pdf

Derry City Cemetery Records Project.
    https://www.derrystrabane.com/cemeteryrecords

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

For people from inner city Dublin who died end of 1800s/early 1900s, how do I go about locating records for their graves? I looked at the databases for Dublin and obviously there's a good few in that area.

Some baptisms/marriages in the family took place in St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Church of St. Andrew and St. Michael and John's. I checked the first two on findagrave but no results.

mindhorn wrote: »
    For people from inner city Dublin who died end of 1800s/early 1900s, how do I go about locating records for their graves? I looked at the databases for Dublin and obviously there's a good few in that area.

Some baptisms/marriages in the family took place in St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Church of St. Andrew and St. Michael and John's. I checked the first two on findagrave but no results.

pretty sure that the Pro-Cathedral and Westland row dont have a graveyard attached, although heard there as some in under the Pro-Cathedral, think just prominent people, bishops etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mindhorn wrote: »

They'll most likely be in Glasnevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

ath262 wrote: »

South Dublin - Deansgrange and Shanganagh are really up to date. Burials usually appear on the site within a couple of weeks.

North Dublin - The most recent entry on the Buried in Fingal database is 2013 - no updates added since it was launched. Site says "more recent burials will be added once an appropriate amount of time has passed". With rip.ie being online I don't really understand that.

BowWow wrote: »

North Dublin - The most recent entry on the Buried in Fingal database is 2013 - no updates added since it was launched. Site says "more recent burials will be added once an appropriate amount of time has passed". With rip.ie being online I don't really understand that.

The answer is simple: money and staff to do it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The answer is simple: money and staff to do it.

I don't agree, just different ways of doing things.

South Dublin County Council have outsourced the online records of their 2 big cemeteries to Everafter, a commercial site, who maintain records for several cemeteries in Ireland and overseas. SDCC must provide regular updates to Everafter, and this has resulted in up to date records online with free access to researchers.

Fingal do their own thing, have set up their own good site and also provide free access to researchers. However there is now a 7 year long backlog of records.
    Where Fingal really score well is that they provide records for other cemeteries in their area.

I just find it strange that in Fingal, updates need an "appropriate" amount of time - 7 years so far... but a few kilometres south an appropriate amount of time seems to be the following month to internment...

Well, different administrative divisions. I happen to know they've changed archivist in Fingal this year so maybe things will change.

Outsourcing to Everafter is great for us but there may be downsides that are not obvious.

Genealogy Forum Mod

BowWow wrote: »
    I don't agree, just different ways of doing things.

South Dublin County Council have outsourced the online records of their 2 big cemeteries to Everafter, a commercial site, who maintain records for several cemeteries in Ireland and overseas. SDCC must provide regular updates to Everafter, and this has resulted in up to date records online with free access to researchers.

Fingal do their own thing, have set up their own good site and also provide free access to researchers. However there is now a 7 year long backlog of records.
    Where Fingal really score well is that they provide records for other cemeteries in their area.

I just find it strange that in Fingal, updates need an "appropriate" amount of time - 7 years so far... but a few kilometres south an appropriate amount of time seems to be the following month to internment...

Error above - It is Dun Laoghaire & Rathdown Council that outsourced the online records for Deansgrange and Shanganagh, apologies.

Waterford, St Otterans and others. Fair play to them.
    https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/departments/culture-heritage/family-history/burial-records.htm
    St. Otteran's Burial Ground (also known as Ballinaneeshagh).
    St. Declan's Burial Ground, Ardmore.
    St. Carthage's Burial Ground, Lismore.
    St. Patrick's Burial Ground, Tramore.
    St. Mary's Cemetery, Butlerstown.
    Funeral Book 1874-1892
    Funeral Book 1902-1929
    Funeral Book 1903-1929
    Funeral Book 1910-1918

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

What does membership of Discovereverafter give you? Any photos of the graves?

No photos (that I've seen at least) burial details name, date of death, date of burial, plus images of their burial registers, you can also see details of others in the same plot along with grid references to the plots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've come across some headstone photos for more recent burials - say, the last twenty years or so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement