Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Project car

Options
  • 02-06-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am contemplating buying a early to mid 90's car to work on or restore. Was thinking of an mr2 or celica or something along them lines. Something a bit of fun and with parts easy to come by.
    Anything ye would recommend, budget €3000 approx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

.. I found the MX5 fun. Easy to work with too. If you can handle the aesthetics which are a bit love / hate. Would like T-BAR MR2 myself though. Loads of them around a couple of years ago. Not many now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am contemplating buying a early to mid 90's car to work on or restore. Was thinking of an mr2 or celica or something along them lines. Something a bit of fun and with parts easy to come by.
    Anything ye would recommend, budget €3000 approx.

I know of an absolutely immaculate 93 celica that'll be coming on the market pretty soon, you'll need to be a little north of your maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

How much work are you actually looking to take on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

kdevitt wrote: »
    How much work are you actually looking to take on?

Could take on a good bit, have experience in all mechanical work, engines, suspension etc.
    I fully rebuilt a tractor and will be selling that shortly and am looking for a new toy to tinker on.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I know of an absolutely immaculate 93 celica that'll be coming on the market pretty soon, you'll need to be a little north of your maximum.

Oh do tell, pm if you need too....

• Advertisement

Could take on a good bit, have experience in all mechanical work, engines, suspension etc.
    I fully rebuilt a tractor and will be selling that shortly and am looking for a new toy to tinker on.

Theres a CRX shell being sold down in Cork on Facebook for €500 - needs engine and panel work etc. Good opportunity to stick in a B series or K series engine.

kdevitt wrote: »
    Theres a CRX shell being sold down in Cork on Facebook for €500 - needs engine and panel work etc. Good opportunity to stick in a B series or K series engine.

Have ya a link

Found it, needs alot of work though

Should add - I'm restoring one at the moment, so probably have one or two parts that it needs. Not certain on the year of that one - but its 6 months at most away from vintage tax.

• Advertisement

Oh do tell, pm if you need too....

It belongs to a guy I share garage space with. I think hes reached the end of the road with it and replaced it with a project alfa gtv, I'll get some photos and upload them tomorrow.

It belongs to a guy I share garage space with. I think hes reached the end of the road with it and replaced it with a project alfa gtv, I'll get some photos and upload them tomorrow.

Cheers

Photos as promised

Photos as promised

Files are too big to upload so if you pm me your number I'll what's app them to you.

Files are too big to upload so if you pm me your number I'll what's app them to you.

Pm sent

So after alot of thinking and what not I but the bullet and bought a 1994 MR2 mk2 rev 3 tbar. Its not in bad shape at all for the age and I'm fairly happy.
    It did however fail the nct a few months back and I got my hands in the report. Failed on rear suspension imbalance and emissions so a but of work to do over the next few months. I'm going to pull all the suspension, paint all of it and install all new bushing etc.
    Looking forward to it.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks kev, did your mate sell his celica

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Failed on rear suspension imbalance and emissions so a but of work to do over the next few months. I'm going to pull all the suspension, paint all of it and install all new bushing etc.
    Looking forward to it.

Best of luck with it! Would you not start with the emissions? That could potentially be expensive, so not much point spending time and money on the suspension if you can't economically repair the emissions issue

unkel wrote: »
    Best of luck with it! Would you not start with the emissions? That could potentially be expensive, so not much point spending time and money on the suspension if you can't economically repair the emissions issue
    Thanks unkel, will be looking at the emissions issue alright. Throttle body clean, full service, new lambda sensor maybe, check for leaking exhaust etc.

• Advertisement

Thought I would throw up a pic of the emissions, someone might have an idea.
    Appreciate it guys

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Advertisement