Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any investment/money advice.

• 02-06-2020 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for some money advice. I'm 24, I work as a software engineer. I make 32K a year (I'm leaving after COVID, once the economy turns back on, and will be on 45-50K).

I luckily live at home and I have 20K saved. My goal is to buy an apartment over the next few years. I know I should probably start a pension, but I don't know who to open one with or how much to contribute. My employer doesn't contribute.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hi

I'm looking for some money advice. I'm 24, I work as a software engineer. I make 32K a year (I'm leaving after COVID, once the economy turns back on, and will be on 45-50K).

I luckily live at home and I have 20K saved. My goal is to buy an apartment over the next few years. I know I should probably start a pension, but I don't know who to open one with or how much to contribute. My employer doesn't contribute.

Any advice?
    Definitely get a pension sorted. Even if you can get €100-200 a month into that it will blossom fantastically over time. It's tax free too so your €100 will actually get you more for your retirement. Earlier you start the more it will accumulate to.

Not many Pension providers sell direct to customers, have a chat with a broker and they'll give you some advice (they won't cost you anything, they are paid by the Pension companies. Lots of them are dying for a bit of business these days and would be happy to chat to ya for 15/20 mns and outline your options.

If you're looking to buy in the next few years don't do anything risky with your 20k. State Savings is probably your best bet. They do 3, 4, 5 year options.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Hi

Any advice?

I also a software engineer but more of a boomer. Made a lot in 2017 on crypto then cashed out.

I slush tings around between gold and crypto. Anything other than dirty fiat.

I heat my apartment with video cards also.

(don't take what I say for truth, think for yourself)

In general I look for young markets that have no established boomer leeches skimming it 7 ways to Sunday. I made my money on exploiting a flaw when exchanges weren't synced well.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Hi

Any advice?

I'd be in a similar boat, fair chunk in savings, good salary, 27, however,no pension. Also considering buying an apartment but weighing up the pro's and con's of that and all the potential problems that can come with it. Also would love to throw my savings into something that produces some passive income or if not that, grow the funds a bit more then a savings account

Advertisement