Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody got any experience of share tenders.

Options
  • 02-06-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I've got some shares with Degiro for Spark Energy. SPKEP.
    I got an email today saying that they have a Corporate Action where Spark Energy has an upcoming exchange offer.

I have two options.

You can opt to tender your shares at 18 USD for every 1 share tendered.
    You can take no further action (default option).

Their current price is $21.68.

Does tender just mean that I'm selling them to the company for $18 a share? When they originally brought out the tender announcement (May 11th) the price was €19 a share.

So I'm confused. If it means I'm just selling to the company for $18 why would I do that if I can just sell them on Degiro for $21.68.
    I'm planning on taking option b (take no further action) but is there an negative consequence to doing that.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I
    So I'm confused. If it means I'm just selling to the company for $18 why would I do that if I can just sell them on Degiro for $21.68.
    I'm planning on taking option b (take no further action) but is there an negative consequence to doing that.

What was the price at the time the tender was made? And is the offer only for cash or are there extras?

Has something significant in the company to push the price up? Normally tender prices are pitched at an attractive level... on the face of it now, that seems not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I've had a look at this company. There is a strange dual listing happening for them and both are on Nasdaq.

You have SPKE Nasdaq which currently trades for 8 dollars a share and then SPKEP Nasdaq which is what you have mentioned and is trading at 21 dollars a share.

Are you sure that the tender is not based on SPKE as opposed to SPKEP?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭chrisd2019

I've got some shares with Degiro for Spark Energy. SPKEP.
    I got an email today saying that they have a Corporate Action where Spark Energy has an upcoming exchange offer.

I have two options.

You can opt to tender your shares at 18 USD for every 1 share tendered.
    You can take no further action (default option).

Their current price is $21.68.

Does tender just mean that I'm selling them to the company for $18 a share? When they originally brought out the tender announcement (May 11th) the price was €19 a share.

Tender price is equivalent to a fixed price sale.
    You may need to read the tender document though to check for any terms and conditions, such as the maximum number of shares they want to buy and how and when they would pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

For the questions above.
    Yeah it's SPKEP and the price of the tender is $18 a share.

I was confused at the date of the tender announcement the price was about $19 a share and it's about $21 now. So I thought I was missing something. Maybe they expected the price to go down over the last month.

Kilboor wrote: »
    I've had a look at this company. There is a strange dual listing happening for them and both are on Nasdaq.

One is common stock the other is preferred, nothing unusual about that.
    For the questions above.
    Yeah it's SPKEP and the price of the tender is $18 a share.

I was confused at the date of the tender announcement the price was about $19 a share and it's about $21 now. So I thought I was missing something. Maybe they expected the price to go down over the last month.

I don't follow this stock nor do follow the industry, so hopefully someone with the knowledge will comment on it.

It is certainly a strange situation on the face of it, I can see why it would be very beneficial for the company to do it at $18, but not from the holder's point of view. It is basically a good corporate bond - the company is well financed and the yield is about 9%, so why would anyone want to dispose of it and why would any company expect that there be an uptake on such an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Jim2007 wrote: »
    One is common stock the other is preferred, nothing unusual about that.

Thanks Jim not too familiar with this. More reading for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm not sure of the situation, I'm going through one myself too at the moment where the tender price is $10 compare to $31 market price! Having ready up on it, it sounds like my situation is really a bit of a reverse-merger, and they're intending that nobody will take up the offer. My company is being bought by another company, but really they just want all Vectoiq shareholders to become shareholders of the new company.

I was reding up on it when it happened tho, and sounds like some situations are a bit more shady. They're trying to
    1. Catch some lazy investors offguard. Believe it or not, some people will sell at the tender price without checking.
    2. Create a sense that the company is "only" worth $18 a share. This can reduce the market price organically, possibly below $18, so it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    They're trying to
    1. Catch some lazy investors offguard. Believe it or not, some people will sell at the tender price without checking.
    2. Create a sense that the company is "only" worth $18 a share. This can reduce the market price organically, possibly below $18, so it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We're talking about preferential shares with a return of around 9% - 10%, redeemable in two years time... and the common stock is trading at around $8 to $9, so no.

Advertisement