Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Total War Sagas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

disappointed that the Mide faction (Meath) has northern Irish accents on the battlefield and the king himself sounds like an english fella putting on a Quiet Man, Darby O'Gill, etc.. accent.. Jaysis, the cringe is strong in that intro, and that's massively off putting.

Played it for an hour before i knocked it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

disappointed that the Mide faction (Meath) has northern Irish accents on the battlefield and the king himself sounds like an english fella putting on a Quiet Man, Darby O'Gill, etc.. accent.. Jaysis, the cringe is strong in that intro, and that's massively off putting.

Played it for an hour before i knocked it off.

I remember that they gutted the Scottish voicepack for Ireland in the Kingdoms expansion to Medieval II. Shame that they've not done a better job now that they are a much bigger studio.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I remember that they gutted the Scottish voicepack for Ireland in the Kingdoms expansion to Medieval II. Shame that they've not done a better job now that they are a much bigger studio.

yeah, i expected more from them on this tbh. I'd actually have more fun playing TW:Warhammer than this atm.
    Seems like they cheaped out on authenticity when it came to voiceactors and chose some generic "irish" sounding to english ears accents - and they'll probably get away with that, and once again, the oul Irish accents suffer the indignity of being stereotypically garbage.

For me, that ruins the experience - not that i wanted to hear full-on guttural gaelic, but a meath/kildare/westmeath/dublin/wicklow accent, non-theatrical english would have been a start for authenticity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

How does that even happen in this day and age? There have been a few games now where I've seen Irish characters basically just be Scottish (if we're lucky!) rather than having an authentic accent. It's hardly like we're short for struggling actors who would jump at the opportunity for a low enough cost, and it's not exactly hard to find people from smaller markets like Ireland with this amazing fandoogle they've come up with called the internet.

It always baffles me, on TV and in films too - the worst I can recall was Sons of Anarchy where it actually caused me to just stop watching. There's only so much you can hear supposed Belfast locals with dialogue like "yer old lady ain't got the grit, son!" in an accent about as accurate as my attempt at Louisiana Cajun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

yeah, i expected more from them on this tbh. I'd actually have more fun playing TW:Warhammer than this atm.
    Seems like they cheaped out on authenticity when it came to voiceactors and chose some generic "irish" sounding to english ears accents - and they'll probably get away with that, and once again, the oul Irish accents suffer the indignity of being stereotypically garbage.

For me, that ruins the experience - not that i wanted to hear full-on guttural gaelic, but a meath/kildare/westmeath/dublin/wicklow accent, non-theatrical english would have been a start for authenticity

Voice packs are little more than soundbyte bundles. I'd say a fair few TW fans would happily have done it for free. My excitement at playing as Ireland in M2TW compensated somewhat.

Fun Fact: The guy who did the Scottish/Irish voices is Graham MacTavish who plays the Saint of Killers in Preacher.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    How does that even happen in this day and age? There have been a few games now where I've seen Irish characters basically just be Scottish (if we're lucky!) rather than having an authentic accent. It's hardly like we're short for struggling actors who would jump at the opportunity for a low enough cost, and it's not exactly hard to find people from smaller markets like Ireland with this amazing fandoogle they've come up with called the internet.

It always baffles me, on TV and in films too - the worst I can recall was Sons of Anarchy where it actually caused me to just stop watching. There's only so much you can hear supposed Belfast locals with dialogue like "yer old lady ain't got the grit, son!" in an accent about as accurate as my attempt at Louisiana Cajun.

Madness, I know. CA are pretty big now. Surely this is the sort of thing that a contracted actor and a few hours would sort easily. They've ditched the generals' speeches so it's not like there's anything beyond "Orders, sir" and "General's bodyguard". Hardly the sort of thing you need to get the Royal Shakespeare Society for.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

not rushing to buy this at the moment but I'm looking forward picking it up in a sale at some point and hopefully i have the time to play it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Overwatch has a decent Irish voice actor. That's the only game I can remember with one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Overwatch has a decent Irish voice actor. That's the only game I can remember with one

What, you mean Cait in Fallout 4 didn't do it for you?

payday2 (god i hate that game so much) has a very well voiced though completely over-the-top with violence and vulgarity and well, vagina as one of the first female heisters from "the wrong side of dublin" i'm guessing that's Donnybrook then. Anyway, aside from all the screamy shouty threats, she did it really well for a country girl.

Clover aka Aoife Duffin - NSFW

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxmxp9kcxRI

video doesnt want to be embedded - but that's all of her lines in payday2

Voice packs are little more than soundbyte bundles. I'd say a fair few TW fans would happily have done it for free. My excitement at playing as Ireland in M2TW compensated somewhat.

Fun Fact: The guy who did the Scottish/Irish voices is Graham MacTavish who plays the Saint of Killers in Preacher.

He does the accent very well in preacher - mad show that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I know there have been mods for previous titles which tried to redress poor voice work, but given our relative size, that's unlikely to happen in this case. :(

PS Could a mod merge the two threads (other one here)?

Started a Mide campaign last night on hard. Some changes have been made which seem interesting at the least.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He does the accent very well in preacher - mad show that :D

You thinking of Cassidy (Irish Vampire) rather than Saint of Killers? He's definitely one of the better put on Irish accents I've heard. McTavish just has an american accent in Preacher I think. Great show :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You thinking of Cassidy (Irish Vampire) rather than Saint of Killers? He's definitely one of the better put on Irish accents I've heard. McTavish just has an american accent in Preacher I think. Great show :D

your right, my bad. Yer man cassidy does it very well, and so does Ruth at hiding hers, though Americans might think differently

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

So what're folks thinking? Is this worth a buy?

KonFusion wrote: »
    So what're folks thinking? Is this worth a buy?

steamsale it, cant recommend it with the badly done and inaccurate Irish accents.

I've played it once since I got it. I don't know, something seems off about it.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Merged both the threads.

Shame about the voice pack. I'd say it would get pretty annoying to have to listen to it constantly. Might wait for a lower price in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, Britannia's no use then? Bugger, I was kind of hoping it would be good.

Tried to get into the Warhammer thingy and just can't. I'm just confused by it all, to be honest. That was the last TW game I played. But, I think the last truly enjoyable one was Shogun II (until the realm divide killed the game stone dead).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah Shogun II was the bees knees. Rome II is good now too. At launch and for some time after is was pretty dire.

• Advertisement

Yeh, reviews for 'Rome II' put me right off. I suppose it's been patched to hell and back by now though. Might give it a whirl.

Fire up 'Medieval II' during the week and had a blast with that. Still holds up well. Can't believe that game is 12 years old! Ended up trying out the Kingdoms add on, which I never really bothered with. Played as Scotland too, for a change.

I forgot how much of a time eater Total War games were. :D

Total War Britannia on Steam sale for 13 Euro. Might have a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Tony EH wrote: »
    Total War Britannia on Steam sale for 13 Euro. Might have a punt.

It gets a lot of ****, but it's not that bad a game. It's not great, but it's certainly worth a shot ... plus how often do you get to play as an Irish faction in a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In other Saga news.

Fall of the samurai is getting rebranded and made standalone as a Saga game, and it looks like bronze age Troy/Greece is next. Can see then doing the same with Troy for heroes as 3 kingdoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I liked Alexander. That stayed fun because of the time pressure and requirement for ongoing aggressive expansion. Most of the games get really dull after a certain point.

Front cover of PC Gamer

491034.jpg

Wonder if they're going full fantasy or will there be a historic version too

Bit bigger of a difference than three kingdoms as that has the same characters to an extent but still human just heroic supermen if they do have the 2 modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's a terrible trailer in all honesty. However, the big news is that this will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store for a year after launch, but it will be completely free if you claim it in the first 24 hours! (TW blog)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When can you claim it for free?

Can't see any mention of date that the 24hr window opens.

Advertisement