Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hard to get a Tee Time

Options
  • 29-05-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭

How are things going in your club.

We are back to 18 next week - and maybe too early - very very hard to get out in the full week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Elmgreen opened next week tee times on Monday @7.30pm

I was working so only got to check at 8.15 pm and it was rammed.

Have kept an eye for cancellations so picked up couple of tee times for next week

I think the mass booking /cancellations/ no shows should be kept a close eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

During the week isn't too bad, weekend very busy and you have to be quick to get a booking. Personally, I really miss being able to turn up at the course late in the evening and playing by myself. I find I'm able to really focus and work on things that aren't going right normally. Very relaxing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

During the week isn't too bad, weekend very busy and you have to be quick to get a booking. Personally, I really miss being able to turn up at the course late in the evening and playing by myself. I find I'm able to really focus and work on things that aren't going right normally. Very relaxing too.

Yes - we just have to take it as is at present. Lucky to have anything I guess.

But agree with above - 90 % of my golf is about the freedom and that impromptu dimension to it (6 holes here and there). That is totally gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

My course has no problems, but we only have 150-200 members so unlikely to have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Headfort no problem at all, though we are spoiled with 2 cracking 18 hole courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Bookings open for Monday through Thursday open at 9 on Sundays. Friday through Sunday open on Tuesday at 9pm.
    I work evening shift and can't book for weekends and depend on others to book for me and should they not play that has me left with no golf. I have very little opportunities to play mid week as I have 2 young kids that I mind.
    My golf has become exceptionally restricted since the club opened membership to summer golfers for 3 months who can only play Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Bookings open for Monday through Thursday open at 9 on Sundays. Friday through Sunday open on Tuesday at 9pm.
    I work evening shift and can't book for weekends and depend on others to book for me and should they not play that has me left with no golf. I have very little opportunities to play mid week as I have 2 young kids that I mind.
    My golf has become exceptionally restricted since the club opened membership to summer golfers for 3 months who can only play Monday to Friday.

We have 2 booking sessions now.

Session 1 is on Monday & Tuesday to make a booking for the following week. Limited to only one booking in this session.

Session 2 is from Wednesday.Max 2 bookings per person for the week.

You can get a 3rd slot by calling the pro shop on the day that a free slot is available.

It's a pretty fair system and makes sure everyone has a good chance of getting at least one round per week.

We have waiting lists of up to 20 for a game in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

We have waiting lists of up to 20 for a game in a week.

BTW BRS waiting system isnt working at the moment, so you might want to throw an eye on the sheet from time to time see if theres any vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

no issue in my Club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keeping it at 3 balls but going from 14 to 10 mins allows 40% more golfers out each day! 4 Balls at 12 mins allows approx. 50% more each day.

A huge increase for a minimal change, I think either could be done with ease, while still maintaining a very safe environment. Our course is pretty much booked solid, but it feels like it's empty when out on it.

What's the official line? Edit: just seen update.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

The days of getting around in 3.15 - 3.30 are gone once the fourballs are out. We’ll be looking at 4hrs plus even with the spacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Raisins wrote: »
    The days of getting around in 3.15 - 3.30 are gone once the fourballs are out. We’ll be looking at 4hrs plus even with the spacing.

If it stayed at 3 balls would you be happy to pay 33% more in subs next year? It was a luxury and not cost effective for clubs.

A lot of clubs are already at 12 mins for 4balls.

But I still think you should do it in 4 hours. at our club it was normally 4 hours even at 10 mins. But I do notice some new members being slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We've always had 3 balls, much better, couldnt stand 4 balls. Too slow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We've always had 3 balls, much better, couldnt stand 4 balls. Too slow.

I hate 4 balls myself - unless you are away for the day on a top course - on holiday.

4 balls just don't work - way too slow and long of a format for a round.

3.5 hours or less is what golf should be.

Played a 3 ball today and got around in 3 hours 5mins
    Slots are 14 mins apart and we caught the group ahead by the 4th.
    As we left the 18th tee the were still on 14th fairway.
    We weren't fast by any stretch of the imagination but the worst thing was we heard there was 2 lads that didn't show up and hadn't rang the club. The timesheet is fully booked all week. The first 4 days of this week filled up in 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Do you remember when the change to putting with the flag in was brought in? It was designed to speed up rounds but it actually slowed everything down with players constantly putting it in, taking it out, back in. It's actually working now because players aren't allowed touch the flag. And guess what, they can still manage to putt with the damn thing in :)

I hope we're never allowed touch the flag again so we don't go back to that nonsense and slowing everything down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I hate 4 balls myself - unless you are away for the day on a top course - on holiday.

Agreed completely - No more needs to be said on it. I cannot think of a justification for 4 balls bar getting more people on the time sheet.

Couple of disaster holes for one group and it potentially messes the whole day up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hoping we stay at 3 balls. Much better pace and I think it makes for a better round socially as well. All 3 tend to chat together rather than 2 conversations breaking out in a 4 ball for e.g... not that that comes anywhere close to importance as pace though.

With full time sheets everyday since restart and people missing out I can't see my club keeping 3 balls.
    Plus with guest being allowed from 8th June there is the potential for carnage if the club allowed it.
    Members were given 4 green fee vouchers with payment of sub and people will want to use these ASAP.

Course is privately owned and club is only in residence for clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I share the sentiments here about 4 balls, but in my club we’re capped at 3 rounds of 9 holes per week and our timesheets are almost 100% full, so I think a return to 4 balls is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

davegilly wrote: »
    Do you remember when the change to putting with the flag in was brought in? It was designed to speed up rounds but it actually slowed everything down with players constantly putting it in, taking it out, back in. It's actually working now because players aren't allowed touch the flag. And guess what, they can still manage to putt with the damn thing in :)

I hope we're never allowed touch the flag again so we don't go back to that nonsense and slowing everything down again.

Hate it,I'd prefer no flags in greens. If you dye the ball into the hole it might work for you but if you putt anyway firmly against these putt buddies the ball bounces off them out of hole

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Hate it,I'd prefer no flags in greens. If you dye the ball into the hole it might work for you but if you putt anyway firmly against these putt buddies the ball bounces off them out of hole

Hate having the flag in. It really gets in my head so if was a straight putt, I'd aim to side of flag. Cue many lipouts. I know it's my fault, but would love if could take it out. Hopefully get used to flag in before a comp

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

If moving to four ball means removing restrictions on the number of times we can play per week, i am all for it.

Do people see Clubs welcoming guests from next Monday? I know its an important revenue stream but I can see it being tricky in clubs where timesheets have been full since May 18th....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

If moving to four ball means removing restrictions on the number of times we can play per week, i am all for it.

Do people see Clubs welcoming guests from next Monday? I know its an important revenue stream but I can see it being tricky in clubs where timesheets have been full since May 18th....

I just checked the timesheet at my club and it's completely booked this week. Next week booking not available yet. If they do allow guests there'll be a lot of members who won't get a slot. It's a hard one to call. As members we've already missed out on a lot of golf. I've a few avid golf friends who aren't members but are dying to get out for a round. I'd love to get them out, but it's not fair on members who miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Yes, anything over 3.5 hours is too long. I played a 3 ball on Saturday and it took over 4 hour! This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think 18 holes is too long. I'd rather play 14 or 16 holes. I suppose having a young family is influencing my thinking here, but there are times in the winter when a round can be +4.5hrs. That's almost 6 hours out of the house.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'd have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting out at my club, I know these are exceptional times but it has me seriously considering changing clubs.

Even before the lockdown it was tough and now that a local course has closed and a few members have moved to mine its only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'd have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting out at my club, I know these are exceptional times but it has me seriously considering changing clubs.

Even before the lockdown it was tough and now that a local course has closed and a few members have moved to mine its only going to get worse.

I think a lot of people will have this issue next year and will move if clubs don’t show loyalty to members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Our sheets are full to capacity, all booked up within a couple of min's of going live.

What an awful time for BRS to decide to "upgrade" their website, with the added bonus of waiting lists not working.

Who thought this would be a good idea at this time, with demand through the roof and immense pressure on the site at specific times of sheets going live?

Mad, mad decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

PARlance wrote: »
    Hoping we stay at 3 balls. Much better pace and I think it makes for a better round socially as well. All 3 tend to chat together rather than 2 conversations breaking out in a 4 ball for e.g... not that that comes anywhere close to importance as pace though.

I hadn't thought of the social side of threeballs but you're right. The three tend to talk together instead of pairing off.

I'd rather keep the threeballs. But I also don't want to miss out on getting onto the timesheet.

Advertisement