Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I don't actually know what I'll monitor with, at the min all I'm monitoring are sonoffs using the ewelink. But yeh afew nodemcus are what I need next tho, or maybe something similar that can take 5v sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

Do keep us posted with whatever you put togther.

Converted sensor data which reads empty space into estimated fuel.

49912174041_28a7602335_z.jpgoil gauges by Emaherx, on Flickr

Sensor yaml for ESPHome in case anyone wants to do similar.
    # Ultrasonic sensor - tank measurement
    sensor:
      - platform: ultrasonic
        id: sensor_cm1
        trigger_pin: GPIO15
        echo_pin: GPIO16
        name: "Oil Ultrasonic Sensor"
        icon: "mdi: arrow"
        update_interval: 10s
        accuracy_decimals: 2
        unit_of_measurement: "cm"
        filters:
         - filter_out: nan
         - multiply: 100
         #- sliding_window_moving_average:
          #   window_size: 12
           #  send_every: 12

# Oil Level Sensor
      - platform: template
        id: sensor_cm2
        name: "Oil level"
        icon: "mdi: arrow"
        unit_of_measurement: "cm"
        lambda: 
          return 150 - id (sensor_cm1) .state;

# Oil Percentage Sensor
        name: "Oil Percentage"
        icon: "mdi: water"
        unit_of_measurement: "%"
        lambda: 
          return id (sensor_cm2) .state;
        filters:
          - calibrate_linear:
            - 0 -> 0
            - 140 -> 100

# Oil Litres Sensor
        name: "Oil liters"
        icon: "mdi: oil"
        accuracy_decimals: 0
        unit_of_measurement: "L"
        lambda: 
          return id (sensor_cm2) .state;
        filters:
          - calibrate_linear:
            - 0 -> 0
            - 140 -> 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 38 5 wheel drive

Anyone make their own gps guidance system by downloading one of the apps onto a tablet and mounting aerial on roof. Some guys can even do their own auto steer.

Anyone make their own gps guidance system by downloading one of the apps onto a tablet and mounting aerial on roof. Some guys can even do their own auto steer.

I've dabbled a few times with Android phone/tablet and a windows laptop. But only using a cheap USB GPS. Really even DIY system using proper AGRI GPS unit gets expensive quick when you add cost of software and hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 5 wheel drive

Your probably rite. What off the shel system would fellas recommend? I've looked at a few basic models but the Trimble ez250 looks outdated.

Your probably rite. What off the shel system would fellas recommend? I've looked at a few basic models but the Trimble ez250 looks outdated.

It probably depends on what you need. What level of accuracy do you need? Even off the shelf entry level systems are quite expensive.

Some of the tablet apps may be good enough for some people, but there may not be much difference between a cheap external GPS unit and that built into a good quality phone.

If you were looking seriously at a DIY solution there is a PC software / hardware solution that can include auto-stear and implement controls like switching of individual nozels on a spray if over lapping strips of a field.

http://www.farmergps.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭endainoz

As a free option, I used the field navigator app, you can map out your fields accurately and set your implement length for each job. Used a cheap mount for the phone to hold It on the wind screen. It worked great for when I was allowed to spread fert. I'll be using it again to broadcast clover this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

The setup I use is a cheap android tablet connected to a Garmin Glo via bluetooth which is mounted on the roof of the tractor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-GLONASS-Receiver-Position-Information/dp/B07M9CZYTD/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=garmin%2Bglo&qid=1590140869&sr=8-1&th=1

The software I use is called AgriBus-Navi, which costs 60 quid for the year, but it'll work just as well with some of the free ones available too. The field navigator app that endainoz mentioned is also a good one.

All in it costed about 270 for a sub-metre accurate guidance system. Perfect if all you need it for is spreading fertiliser and spraying. I've been meaning to put it into the tractor when I'm mowing to see how it fares when striping the field, but I always forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Hi lads, great thread!

In terms of contributing, mine is pretty low tech but effective. GSM plug, pop the electric fence into it and off you go. Way down the fields, find a issue, ring the fence and it's off. Talking about £20.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Wireless-Control-Household-Appliance/dp/B07SS8QM7Z/ref=pd_day0_c_107_3/260-6599422-3161917?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SS8QM7Z&pd_rd_r=ff7b0afc-650b-4944-afcb-03fb7e6b349d&pd_rd_w=B6tga&pd_rd_wg=SUKeo&pf_rd_p=cb7ac7c9-1220-4f8e-9626-3d6840134f7f&pf_rd_r=5NK88TCBZ22M2R34XSJA&psc=1&refRID=5NK88TCBZ22M2R34XSJA

Has anyone used the Vodafone V sims for their devices and any alternatives? Internet at home would be touch and go so would be looking at basing my automation on a GSM network rather than the home network.

How did yet get started learning about all this stuff? I have a lot of automation ideas but don't have the experiance in Raspberry Pi's and arduino. I do have IT and farming background though

And finally, a company I was in contact with recently in Canada, calculates the weight of an animal just from the front two legs at a water trough, doesn't make economical sense for Ireland's farming margins but very interesting tech all the same https://youtu.be/-Non246rVAU?t=105

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

rounders wrote: »
    Hi lads, great thread!

In terms of contributing, mine is pretty low tech but effective. GSM plug, pop the electric fence into it and off you go. Way down the fields, find a issue, ring the fence and it's off. Talking about £20.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Wireless-Control-Household-Appliance/dp/B07SS8QM7Z/ref=pd_day0_c_107_3/260-6599422-3161917?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SS8QM7Z&pd_rd_r=ff7b0afc-650b-4944-afcb-03fb7e6b349d&pd_rd_w=B6tga&pd_rd_wg=SUKeo&pf_rd_p=cb7ac7c9-1220-4f8e-9626-3d6840134f7f&pf_rd_r=5NK88TCBZ22M2R34XSJA&psc=1&refRID=5NK88TCBZ22M2R34XSJA

Has anyone used the Vodafone V sims for their devices and any alternatives? Internet at home would be touch and go so would be looking at basing my automation on a GSM network rather than the home network.

How did yet get started learning about all this stuff? I have a lot of automation ideas but don't have the experiance in Raspberry Pi's and arduino. I do have IT and farming background though

And finally, a company I was in contact with recently in Canada, calculates the weight of an animal just from the front two legs at a water trough, doesn't make economical sense for Ireland's farming margins but very interesting tech all the same https://youtu.be/-Non246rVAU?t=105

Hi. I had a vodafone sim in that exact plug socket and it stopped last week. Must have been there 5 years never stopped up. Would turn on and off with ringing up until a year ago but then only responded to text. Must get Nither vodafone sim as I miss it no end for fencer

satstheway wrote: »
    Hi. I had a vodafone sim in that exact plug socket and it stopped last week. Must have been there 5 years never stopped up. Would turn on and off with ringing up until a year ago but then only responded to text. Must get Nither vodafone sim as I miss it no end for fencer

Our last one blew up from lightening last year and only got around to buying a new one last week. Your sim card probably expired in your case. The networks basically switch off a sim card after a while if you haven't used any credit. That's where the V sim is supposed to come in. Pay 2 or 3 euro a month and it is supposed to not die on you. Haven't tried them yet though

Hi lads, great thread!

Nothing wrong with using a GSM Switch, I've never actually used one though, when you ring the device dose it report back its current status? and give option to turn on off?

No expereince with the Vsim but sounds ideal for GSM devices. don't know of an alterative sim from other providers but there are alternative technologies. I've been reading up on LoRa which sounds ideal for remote locations. With LoRa you could build your own network or subscribe to a provider like SigFox. LoRa is a long range wireless communications technology designed speciifcally for IOT.

My own background is: I work as an engineer for a large multinational IT company. I spend most of my time maintaing Industrial Print Lines, but also network equipment, servers ATM's and Tape Libaries. I have a degree in Electronics and a higher cert in IT and some Cisco certs. But things have changed so much since I studied Electronics and very much for the better when it comes to DIY, everything is available now as modules meaning you don't need much knowlage of circuit design to build nearly any automation you can imagine. There are so many cheap and easily configurable microcontrollers with tons of features built in. Online resources these days make the programming end much simpler, most of what I have running now is just the bits of other peoples projects that I liked cut and pasted together.

If you'd like some help with an automation idea, I'd be happy to look at it.

The YouTube video is interesting, obviously not for most of our farms but I think this is as good a place as any to share what is out there.

emaherx wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with using a GSM Switch, I've never actually used one though, when you ring the device dose it report back its current status? and give option to turn on off?

No expereince with the Vsim but sounds ideal for GSM devices. don't know of an alterative sim from other providers but there are alternative technologies. I've been reading up on LoRa which sounds ideal for remote locations. With LoRa you could build your own network or subscribe to a provider like SigFox. LoRa is a long range wireless communications technology designed speciifcally for IOT.

My own background is: I work as an engineer for a large multinational IT company. I spend most of my time maintaing Industrial Print Lines, but also network equipment, servers ATM's and Tape Libaries. I have a degree in Electronics and a higher cert in IT and some Cisco certs. But things have changed so much since I studied Electronics and very much for the better when it comes to DIY, everything is available now as modules meaning you don't need much knowlage of circuit design to build nearly any automation you can imagine. There are so many cheap and easily configurable microcontrollers with tons of features built in. Online resources these days make the programming end much simpler, most of what I have running now is just the bits of other peoples projects that I liked cut and pasted together.

If you'd like some help with an automation idea, I'd be happy to look at it.

The YouTube video is interesting, obviously not for most of our farms but I think this is as good a place as any to share what is out there.

You can ring it or text. If you text it tells you the status but I'd be trying to get the father using it so just go with the basics of ringing the box which changes the box to either on or off depending on it's current position when you ring it

Yeah was doing some reading on Sigfox networks last night. Is that primarily only good for sending small data points or could it support triggering a action like the GSM plug?

My background is Information Systems so I understand the high level systems but get lost completely once we start talking about circuits

You can ring it or text. If you text it tells you the status but I'd be trying to get the father using it so just go with the basics of ringing the box which changes the box to either on or off depending on it's current position when you ring it

Yeah was doing some reading on Sigfox networks last night. Is that primarily only good for sending small data points or could it support triggering a action like the GSM plug?

My background is Information Systems so I understand the high level systems but get lost completely once we start talking about circuits

Knowledge of circuits is less of an issue than ever, I made a RFID system for a college project using an Intel 8051. To use an 8051 you needed to build a circuit to connect separate Memory chips and a UART chip to communicate over serial and even quartz clock crystal for timing. The likes of Arduino and ESP based devices make this simple with built in flash memory WiFi/Bluetooth and even LoRa, the GPIO pins make connecting a multitude of pre built modules such as sensors or relays very easy.

Yes, only small packets but what could be smaller than on or off?

I'm not sure there is an off the shelf smart plug, but it's definitely doable. I was considering trying to make something for the out farms. But truthfully it's not because of any real need, just a curiosity. Not necessarily looking at Sigfox either, might try setting up my own LoRa gateway and seeing how far I can transmit/receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

V sims are very fussy in what the work afaik.
    But that should broaden out over time.
    For my job when the sim was in credit it could report back but it was not essential.
    You text SN0000ON or sn0000off or ring. Always have a Gallagher tester in my pocket or touch fence off a post to check before I would grab it (just in case) with the tester and gsm you can find faults very easy

We're still on the dock leaf technology here!

I work off farm as a consultant with a cloud software vender but I'm focused more on the front end configuring with the customer rather than the back end tech.

One idea I've been play with is an online platform that is all based around the map for the farm. On it would be able to see all your animals using gps/geofensing on animals with alerts if they leave the paddock. Monitor the water usage through flow sensors in the water pipes to monitor flow and potential leaks, also have IOT values to turn off water so if you input that the animals will leave the paddock today at 4pm, at 2pm the vale would switch off to ensure the trough empties. When the GPS on the animals detect the animals enter a new paddock it would turn on the water.

Most useful part of all I think though would be something simular to what someone posted earlier where it lifted wire using a a little motor. On the out farm we have cattle, we could setup a timers to lift the wire at a particular time to give them more grass and use the Geofencing to confirm they have all moved to the next paddock before lowering it again. Pair all this up then with a little drone. You mark on the map which field you want the drone to go to and it would set off on a preconfigured route taking the stress out of flying a drone allowing you to focus on the camara output

All of this sounds great but I suppose the amount of value/time it would safe would be minimal

I went off and got myself a degree in mechanical engineering, then 3/4s of the way through a PhD, before bailing out and writing that up as a research engineering masters, before coming back home to be a horribly overqualified farmer ha. Spent my whole life tinkering around with some sort of electronics and engines and stuff, but I'll agree that it's all become a hell of alot simpler in terms of what kits you can buy off the shelf and get going with arduino etc.

I'm surprised items like bulk tank temperature, water pressure, electric fence voltage monitors etc haven't become alot more common on farms here yet, basically monitoring equipment that can and will save you money if they spot a fault before you do. I've had it in the back of my mind to go develop something that I could market to farmers, take the bulk tank temperature sensor, all you need to do is put an external temperature probe in beside the existing temperature probe, and have a microcontroller with a web upload of the temperature, a simple enough algorithm that knows the rough expected cooling profile of the tank and it will send you a text if something is astray. For more extensive farm wide use gsm/sigfox or yourown lora network would be necessary. If anyone want to help me develop something like the above drop me a pm ha 😅

Few of us on here with different backgrounds that would compliment each other. All we need now is the golden idea :D

Ok, so what are we calling this new company? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ok, so what are we calling this new company? :D

Ye can use the thread title.. :p

New Age Tinkers.

(Runs away extremely fast).

First company meeting,
    1. Come up with a product
    2. Don't post product on public forum for others to rob :D

Timmaay wrote: »
    I went off and got myself a degree in mechanical engineering, then 3/4s of the way through a PhD, before bailing out and writing that up as a research engineering masters, before coming back home to be a horribly overqualified farmer ha. Spent my whole life tinkering around with some sort of electronics and engines and stuff, but I'll agree that it's all become a hell of alot simpler in terms of what kits you can buy off the shelf and get going with arduino etc.

I'm surprised items like bulk tank temperature, water pressure, electric fence voltage monitors etc haven't become alot more common on farms here yet, basically monitoring equipment that can and will save you money if they spot a fault before you do. I've had it in the back of my mind to go develop something that I could market to farmers, take the bulk tank temperature sensor, all you need to do is put an external temperature probe in beside the existing temperature probe, and have a microcontroller with a web upload of the temperature, a simple enough algorithm that knows the rough expected cooling profile of the tank and it will send you a text if something is astray. For more extensive farm wide use gsm/sigfox or yourown lora network would be necessary. If anyone want to help me develop something like the above drop me a pm ha 😅

Definitely, I'd like to monitor water and electric fences especially on the out farms where both water supplies and power sources are less reliable. On the home farm this would be easy enough as it's fairly well covered by Wi-Fi, has electricity and mains water but it's actually my smallest block of land and the furthest from my house.

We're still on the dock leaf technology here!

I work off farm as a consultant with a cloud software vender but I'm focused more on the front end configuring with the customer rather than the back end tech.

One idea I've been play with is an online platform that is all based around the map for the farm. On it would be able to see all your animals using gps/geofensing on animals with alerts if they leave the paddock. Monitor the water usage through flow sensors in the water pipes to monitor flow and potential leaks, also have IOT values to turn off water so if you input that the animals will leave the paddock today at 4pm, at 2pm the vale would switch off to ensure the trough empties. When the GPS on the animals detect the animals enter a new paddock it would turn on the water.

Most useful part of all I think though would be something simular to what someone posted earlier where it lifted wire using a a little motor. On the out farm we have cattle, we could setup a timers to lift the wire at a particular time to give them more grass and use the Geofencing to confirm they have all moved to the next paddock before lowering it again. Pair all this up then with a little drone. You mark on the map which field you want the drone to go to and it would set off on a preconfigured route taking the stress out of flying a drone allowing you to focus on the camara output

All of this sounds great but I suppose the amount of value/time it would safe would be minimal

Tracking every animal could be useful, it could be done on Sigfox network without GPS but would be expensive with a per device subscription depending on number of animals. Could be done using a private LoRa network using GPS modules but would be harder on batteries and a higher unit cost.

Edit: on looking again GPS would be needed either way as tracking on sigfox network without GPS is only accurate to 800 meters.

Tracking every animal could be useful, it could be done on Sigfox network without GPS but would be expensive with a per device subscription depending on number of animals. Could be done using a private LoRa network using GPS modules but would be harder on batteries and a higher unit cost.

Edit: on looking again GPS would be needed either way as tracking on sigfox network without GPS is only accurate to 800 meters.

Came across the same 800 metre limitation when reading up on it last night. From what I read, the tech to measure accurately enough isn't currently out there except for possibly in the US military

Came across the same 800 metre limitation when reading up on it last night. From what I read, the tech to measure accurately enough isn't currently out there except for possibly in the US military

Accurately enough for what though? They are cows not guided missiles. Reason it's not going to be accurate without GPS is cell size for LoRa is too big, you could in theory build a private network with decent accuracy using multiple gateways. But GPS can be accurate to cm even basic GPS is accurate to within a meter or 2 which would be sufficient for most tasks.

First company meeting,
    1. Come up with a product
    2. Don't post product on public forum for others to rob :D

Ha I know where your coming from, however that idea (amoung about 100 more ideas) has milled around my head for far too long without any real progress, to the point that by now I'm happy to just throw the idea out there with the chance that someone might actually take up my offer ha, and if someone was to rob it and actually implement it fair play to them by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

...l

Why use a motor to lift a fence line when you could attach one end to a magnet and then demagnetization it to drop the end of a fence joined up with a spring gate?

Any of yous experience with sigfox out of interest? I was onto the lads afew weeks ago who supply the network in Ireland (vt-iot.com), but didn't get a reply back from their technical team, I'd love to get my hands on an actual device and see how reliable the signal actually is (poor enough mobile signal on the farm here, but I think sigfox can operate on a very limited signal). Personally I think it will have more promise than Lora, especially in terms of if you want to get in the door with a product for farmers, something they can plug and play straight out of the box is better than trying to convince them they 1st need a box for a lora network across the farm as well as the actual sensors/transmitters.

• Advertisement

Not yet, but was looking recently.
    With Arduino and ESP based dev harware available for €35 its worth a look, might get one of each to play with.
    https://www.vt-iot-solutions.com/product/sipy-iot-sigfox-wifi-ble-board/

Pricing subscriptions from Sigfox seam resonable enough if using a few devices but could get expensive enough quickly. I could see Sigfox being more useful for a small number of devices but a private Lora network for large numbers.
    https://buy.sigfox.com/buy/offers/IE

Advertisement