Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

• 31-05-2020 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the crazy amount of rubbish being left in parks and beaches? Bottles and cans and empty food boxes are strewn around everywhere in my local park, way more than I've ever seen before. The bins outside the park are just stacked with rubbish around them, which of course blows all over the place and birds mess it up etc. Apparently the 40 foot is a mess also and Dollymount.
    I don't understand why people can't just take their rubbish home with them?
    I realise teenagers don't gaf about these kind of things but surely it can't all be teenagers leaving this junk all over the parks?
    I've gone to beach cleanups in the past and I've seen people out cleaning this morning, but why should they have to? It's a noble effort and all but it really is a bit of a pointless endeavour against the never ending growing tide of garbage.
    And I also fear the more people clean up after others the less they'll care about littering.
    And we can't blame the council either for not enough bins - if a bin is full find another one, or take it home, don't be a scumbag.
    The recycling for 10c a can or bottle or whatever thing might help, but most of the sh*t you see strewn around is not even recyclable, flimsy packaging and plastic bags...
    I despair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Matt Damon brought a Supervalu bag for his rubbish

0_Screen-Shot-2020-05-14-at-104211.png

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I wholly agree with the content of your post but can’t get over my irritation at your use of “thrash” instead of “trash” in the title. Why can’t Irish people differentiate between the two? Also the use of an Americanism like trash in the first place bothers me separately.

Yes, I’m irritable in general.

You should take a walk in our glorious countryside. The amount of discarded coffee cups and drinks cans and bottles is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Has anyone else noticed the crazy amount of rubbish being left in parks and beaches? Bottles and cans and empty food boxes are strewn around everywhere in my local park, way more than I've ever seen before. The bins outside the park are just stacked with rubbish around them, which of course blows all over the place and birds mess it up etc. Apparently the 40 foot is a mess also and Dollymount.
    I realise teenagers don't gaf about these kind of things but surely it can't all be teenagers leaving this junk all over the parks?
    I've gone to beach cleanups in the past and I've seen people out cleaning this morning, but why should they have to? It's a noble effort and all but it really is a bit of a pointless endeavour against the never ending growing tide of garbage.
    And I also fear the more people clean up after others the less they'll care about littering.
    And we can't blame the council either for not enough bins - if a bin is full find another one, or take it home, don't be a scumbag.
    The recycling for 10c a can or bottle or whatever thing might help, but most of the sh*t you strewn around is not even recyclable, flimsy packaging and plastic bags...
    I despair.

This happens every time the weather improves in Ireland .
    You wouldn't see this in the likes of Sweden / Denmark / Norway / Germany ...
    To many people living here have no respect for our stunning country .
    These people will never change ....
    The only thing they understand is fines .
    That would mean providing proper security at these parks / beaches ...that costs money .
    The councils are also to blame ... Not providing enough bins at these places .
    In a lot of cases these bins are to small and remain full over a weekend before been emptied on a Monday .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Jizique

The recycling for 10c a can or bottle or whatever thing might help, but most of the sh*t you see strewn around is not even recyclable, flimsy packaging and plastic bags...
    I despair.

Just proves we are a dirty, filthy race - if you bring it with you, take it away.
    Sickening aspect of our society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Most of it round my area it is gangs of teenagers. The same ones who a couple of months ago who were doing the eco strikes from every week school to 'save de planet'!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wholly agree with the content of your post but can’t get over my irritation at your use of “thrash” instead of “trash” in the title. Why can’t Irish people differentiate between the two? Also the use of an Americanism like trash in the first place bothers me separately.

I stand corrected. So what's thrash, like Slayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Also the use of an Americanism like trash in the first place bothers me separately.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You are correct in general.

Thrashing is what naughty headmasters do to school children with a cane, while trashing is a vulgar shorthand for making a mess/despoiling.

What's the topic we're discussing again? :p

I expect we're seeing a double whammy of no routine cleaning work by the councils and the fact it's been quiet so fly tippers know they can get away with it closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

That would mean providing proper security at these parks / beaches ...that costs money .
    In a lot of cases these bins are to small and remain full over a weekend before been emptied on a Monday .

There should be no bins provided at all at scenic/recreation locations. If you go somewhere take your rubbish home with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

"The council are to blame...."

This is a bull**** excuse and the reason why so many places are destroyed by litter. If you can bring the food/bottles/cans etc to the beach, then you can bring it home with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Our glorious local beach is the same. It was beautiful and clean during the lockdown and was being enjoyed by a small group of locals. But in last two weeks the crowds have been arriving again bringing their BBQs, bottles, cans, kids toys and rubbish with them and leaving it behind. Scumbag behaviour. Blasting music too and parking wherever and whenever they want. I'll go back to avoiding it until September like I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Bins will never be big enough, or in enough locations, as long as the basic principle of not giving a thought applies.

Whatever I bring with me, I bring home again... it really is that simple.

I will await the onslaught now and I know I am a curtain twitching, saintly do-gooder, but at least I am a clean one an I don't expect anyone else to tidy up after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

You will find that the same millennials who preach online about global warming and how the cars are polluting the world are the same ones doing this... they forget about their strong viewpoints once partytime comes... drinking cider and gin and throwing all rubbish onto the ground or in the rivers if near them. Galway is absolutely destroyed in rubbish at moment... our youth have been living it up since March, out drinking in the parks every day and night, area on both sides of quinncetennial bridge destroyed .... broken bottles on the paths and in the river beds .... whole place covered ... and it’s not winos... it’s our youth!!someone put up black bags for them to put their rubbish in but they ain’t bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The entitlement culture.

Sure someone else can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

One of the most annoying things indeed is people leaving their rubbish behind them. Utter scumbags and no care for their surroundings. I'd love to know what actually makes these people think this is acceptable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Crap parenting.

Again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I stand corrected. So what's thrash, like Slayer?

Thrashing is what should happen the scum who fling their filth around for others to deal with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Some amount of disposable gloves fooked on the footpaths and even in parks since people started wearing them.

Nothing but dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Also thrashing, that's just embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Some amount of disposable gloves fooked on the footpaths and even in parks since people started wearing them.

Nothing but dogs.

Supermarket carparks are littered with disposable gloves. You have the awareness to wear them while shopping but then just fook them on the ground when done with them. Moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought gloves were so last month. Are people still wearing them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You should take a walk in our glorious countryside. The amount of discarded coffee cups and drinks cans and bottles is staggering.

Exactly. It’s rubbiage not thrash.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Jizique wrote: »
    Just proves we are a dirty, filthy race - if you bring it with you, take it away.
    Sickening aspect of our society.

Little unfair to say the human race is dirty and filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

People can’t seem to go to the beach or park without a picnic or a drink, rubbish thrown everywhere, if a bin is full they don’t seem to be able to bring their rubbish home with them.

There should be no bins provided at all at scenic/recreation locations. If you go somewhere take your rubbish home with you.

Just about to say the same thing.

If you were able to do the heaviest lifting in order to bring all your **** to the beach or park then surely you’re able to carry the much lighter load back with you.

It’s not just kids either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Remember the absolute legends that sang “clean up for the Boys in Green” after Ireland matches over in France at EURO 2016? Well this is what happens when the cameras aren’t rolling and they’re not trying to get onto Joe.ie for being “the best fans in the world.”

Elmo wrote: »
    People can’t seem to go to the beach or park without a picnic or a drink, rubbish thrown everywhere, if a bin is full they don’t seem to be able to bring their rubbish home with them.

No problems bringing a picnic, drinks or anything. Just take the stuff home when done with it. If they managed to bring it, they can take it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Last summer I went for an early morning walk with my dogs on my local beach. A beautiful place to walk and swim . When I arrived back to the top of the slipway to the beach someone had dropped 2 black sacks full of rubbish. At 7:30 in the morning. Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also in relation to the word thrashing I think it is used correctly in the title.

The little ****ers thrashed the place and you’d think they could find a ****ing trash can!

Advertisement