Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a chance it could just die off completely?

• 29-05-2020 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Or to the point where it's a tiny risk?

It's a virus, so by definition don't they just feck off eventually?

Will Covid just eventually die out completely/to the point where it's barely a threat 318 votes

Yes, within the next 6 months
    72% 230 votes
    Yes, within the next 12 months
    16% 51 votes
    Yes, but not till 2022
    7% 24 votes
    Yes, but not till 2023
    3% 10 votes
    It'll be around past 2023
    0% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRlLJBCEnRfmQEmLXvf6PiqY1KIbXvfKNJoIuJz851XoV1kEc12&usqp=CAU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You didnt put any option for ' no' in the poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Wesser wrote: »
    You didnt put any option for ' no' in the poll

"It'll be around past 2023" is as negative as it should get

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The chance of getting it now if you have sense is near zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The Spanish flu did, and to this day they're still not quite sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do you mean globally or in Ireland? Ireland and some countries may get rid of it, but outbreaks will clearly not be kept under control in a lot of developing countries , so it'll be a good while before it's gone from the entire world, in fact some countries appear to be easing restrictions even as the outbreak gets worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Not sure it'll die off but there are small signs the virus is changing. I don't think it's known yet if it's a good sign or not but you'd imagine that a virus is better if it spreads lots, and is less lethal. A bad virus would be more lethal but wouldn't be able to spread as much.

Hopefully the virus is mutating to be more of a "good" virus, evolutionary wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Virus will remain active for years then go dormant.It hasn't devastated enough countries yet and controls are weak/non-existent in some northern and southern hemisphere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

SARS 1 evolved into a much less dangerous virus and then disappeared. There are a few indications that this may be happening with SARS 2. I'm hopeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The Spanish flu did, and to this day they're still not quite sure why.

Estimated up to 100 million died. . . . Probably no one left to infect as everyone got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Estimated up to 100 million died. . . . Probably no one left to infect as everyone got it.

About 1 in 3 globally got it. A lot of people but not enough reason in itself to explain why it disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

bb1234567 wrote: »
    About 1 in 3 globally got it. A lot of people but not enough reason in itself to explain why it disappeared.

There was a 2.5% death rate. . . If estimated 100m died then pretty much everyone got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Who knows, there hasn't been a resurgence in Europe yet even within countries who've had restrictions relaxed for a number of weeks. It wasn't a theory I bought into a few weeks ago but we just have to wait and see, if it stays at low case numbers after restrictions lift then maybe it'll have evolved into something milder.

It's a wait and see at the moment. The longer we go without a sudden continued increase in cases the more weight might be given to theories surrounding any possible change in behaviour of the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

I dont think it will die off. I think it will be like the flu and it will come and go at different times during the year. Hopefully there will be a vaccine because we will have to learn to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This will be like the Aliens franchise where the 2nd outing is the most eventful but more scary.

Time to stock up on baked beans.

Internal lockdowns aren’t of much benefit.
    The real test will be when air travel gets going a bit and big crowds such as concerts etc.

That’s when we’ll know if it’s going to come back or not.

I hope it doesn’t because lockdown is no longer an option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

This will be like the Aliens franchise where the 2nd outing is the most eventful but more scary.

Another dramatic post from Kevin the frog

What a surprise

Boring my poor man

Move on and grow up please for your own sake

I hope it doesn’t because lockdown is no longer an option.

It's inevitable in a resurgence unfortunately.

Which is why a resurgence has to be avoided and we need to maintain discipline in how we approach this from a policy point of view.

That means not taking foolish risks. Full stadia would be such a risk among many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Which is why a resurgence has to be avoided and we need to maintain discipline in how we approach this from a policy point of view.

That means not taking foolish risks. Full stadia would be such a risk among many others.

Will you stop presenting resurange as fact, it's your opinion, nothing more nothing less. We all have our own opinion on it which we're entitled to,but to declare it inevitable isn't accurate.

Is there cold hard evidence that there will be a second wave / resurgence?? No there is not. Will there be low levels of cases that can be managed, yes but that's not a resurgence. We're much more prepared now for cases which wouldn't see us go back into an inevitable lockdown, first time round we hadn't a clue what we were dealing with

• Advertisement

Will you stop presenting resurange as fact, it's your opinion, nothing more nothing less.

I didn't.

It is indeed my opinion which I believe I am entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

No, monkeys in India have just stolen live blood lab samples, after attacking a lab assistant there.
    https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Asia/India?search=Monkeys

2021 will go much the way of Planet of the Apes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Well if we keep going in and out of lockdown or severe restrictions. The economy will not be able to cope simple as that. It will get to the point where food will have to be rationed and tbh with you I fail to see how we can we could even pay for treating people if a second wave does come around.

I fear to the extent that if a second wave was to come around which it likely will not we will not have have the money to deal with it. Things like full stadiums will have to come back without social distancing as they are crucial to the wider economy in the broader picture.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: How exactly is this adding to the discussion? Any more nonsense like this and I'll start removing posts (and posters).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Be right back

It seems to be infecting people not as badly in Italy for example. No sign of a second wave in European countries that have eased restrictions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

You do realise that a form of the Spanish Flu still circulates today - H1N1 was the responsible strain for both 2009 and 1918 outbreaks. Its just not as virulent and seems to have adapted to its human hosts.

SARS-Cov2 has started to mutate, but these have been largely neutral or just mildly deleterious.

A great guy to follow for all this stuff is Prof Francois Balloux.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.21.108506v1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No its endemic and vaccinations for it could very well be an annual thing like the yearly flub jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Its reported man onboard flight to lanzarote got a positive result while onboard the plane - 140 people quarantined - The man now faces prosecution for skipping quarantine and the State of Emergency and has been reported for a possible crime against public health - this does not bode well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's not going anywhere as long as it still has hosts. SARS died off because it was easier to isolate sick people, they weren't contagious until they showed symptoms. Not the same with this virus though, people are contagious before showing symptoms so if you have people thinking they're fine and spreading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Do you mean globally or in Ireland? Ireland and some countries may get rid of it, but outbreaks will clearly not be kept under control in a lot of developing countries , so it'll be a good while before it's gone from the entire world, in fact some countries appear to be easing restrictions even as the outbreak gets worse

What countries are easing restrictions as the outbreak is worsening?

Advertisement