Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - shotgunmcos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

jlang wrote: »
    Yoga or Joe Wicks? Do you do much non-running stuff?
    Any thoughts on exercising during lockdown and 2km limits?

Hi jlang :)

Hmm. I tried Joe Wicks for a bit. Mainly for the kids. I don't know how career_move does it everyday on top of running. Its akin to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and I find it thrashes the quads. I wouldn't do on workout days. But maybe once a week for sure or more regularly when I'm only running easy miles over the winter. Yoga, I'd do every day of my life if I could even if it was 1 sun salutation sequence or 5 mins of meditation. My Mum was a Yoga instructor/guru so I guess its part of the family fabric :)

Non running stuff.. hmmm. I have trail shoes, hiking boots, 2 road bikes, 2 mountain bikes, a kayak, chin up bar, kettle bells, dumbells, yoga mats, wetsuits, balance balls, a concept 2 rowing machine and recently my brother was trying to talk me into getting a ski-erg! I've done a lot of non running stuff and that was my problem for running. Always distracted by something else. Right now I'm just running focused. That may include running up and down a hill, around a muddy field or anything that supplements running like yoga, plyometrics, drills etc.. The other stuff will have to wait for some running downtime.

Exercise and lockdown? Do what you can. Do what you enjoy!
    2km? now 5km? I stay within the limit.

Thanks for the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Very interesting so far. You're obviously a very talented sportsman and cook too by the sounds of it!

Favourite boat?
    Favourite seat in above boat?
    Nicest place you ever rowed - raced/training camp etc?
    Erg tests/sessions - love or loathe?
    Have you any thoughts on what sport(s) you'd like to see your kids doing?
    What would be on the menu if you were cooking to impress?
    Favourite snack food for the 3o'c slump (which in my case tends to be a 10am slump :o)?
    Maybe asked already but if you could represent Ireland in the Olympics at any sport/event what would you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Very intersting replies so far - thanks for taking the time to indulge us. I followed your tri career with interest including Roth, etc. Do you ever intend to give the ironman a go again? Maybe when kids are older?

ariana` wrote: »
    Very interesting so far. You're obviously a very talented sportsman and cook too by the sounds of it!

Hi ariana` :)

Favourite boat?
    Ok to explain to non rowing folk, the options are (in rowing)
    1x - a single sculler - 1 person 2 oars, super skinny giddy boat
    2- - a pair - 2 people with an 1 oar each either side of the boat
    2x - a double scull - 2 people 2 oars each
    4-/4+ - like a pair but with 4 people, with or without a coxwain
    4x - a quad - 4 people 2 oars each
    8= - an eight! - eight oarsmen, 1 oar each, big boat and a coxwain

My favourite to train - a single scull.
    DSC02238.jpg?format=1500w

I enjoyed the process of taking it off the rack, carrying on my shoulders and placed on trestles I had set up already. Check the rigging to ensure everything is tight and seat rails are smooth. Carefully walk down the ramp and place it on the water. Step in one leg and a time, sit down gently, push off gently and go. On a flat calm crisp spring morning when the water is like glass and the swans are still asleep among the reeds taking a clean stroke (not dragging the oar off the water) and releasing them together send the scull gliding through the water like a knife. It takes skill and balance to accomplish clean strokes but when you do the perfect wake behind your stern indicates a perfect connection. Its serene and satisfying to leverage the boat powerfully past the point of connection and feel that glide afterwards. If you have the focus you can achieve a rhythm and a metronomic flow. You do need to look around every few strokes to ensure you are rowing straight and there are no big ships approaching :) I was not good enough to race one though, although If I had owned one I might have practiced more.

My favourite to race - An eight!
    1567399663431.jpg
    Rowers tend to be big and powerful. To have all eight of them connect with the water and drive every muscle from there legs to their core, back and shoulders, simultaneously, produces this booming sound and lifts the boat out of the water. An eight moves fast though so you don't get to enjoy the break as you creep up together to take the next stroke. An eight is fast an furious. Your body and lungs burn and burn but you cannot stop. Every man is burning for that boat. Every man is burning for that team. Every man takes the same stroke, tries to achieve it perfectly, in sync with his team. You are at the whim of the coxwain too. He/she is watching the whole race, reacting to it, influencing it. Even when you are in pain, when the cox calls for "20" you need to find another gear. Everyone has to. You get counted into it over 3 strokes and all eight pour everything at 20 strokes as if their life depended on it. Its 6 minutes of controlled agony, but whne a crew is on song, a boat sings :)

Favourite seat in above boat?
    I rowed "stroke" so I had the other 7 guys behind me and I set the rate and the rhythm. I was the link between the cox and the crew. She communicates on the mic and the crew know what is coming but I'd generally know by her eyes what was about to happen and I'd be ready to go. Its a position of no escape. If you are out of time the crew is out. If you don't set the rhythm , the boat falls to either side off balance and slows down. Every other person in the boat can see your puddles at the end of your oar and know how hard you are working.

Nicest place you ever rowed - raced/training camp etc?
    For racing: Probably Boston and the Head of the Charles Regatta. I went for a few runs down the riverbank too with its beautiful autumn colours.

For training - I've been to quite a few stunning lakes and rivers but an unusual springs to mind. My first visit to Japan was a summer in College. I was 21 and went out on my own to stay with a family in a town called Gifu up in the mountains on the central Island of Honshu. It was a brilliant experience but one day they surprised me. After learning that I was a rower for my Uni back home, they arranged for me to visit the local private corporate owned rowing club. I got to pick a beautiful hand crafted shiny wooden scull off a rack and row on the still lake, surrounded by mountains on a sunny day, alone. It was amazing! Unfortunately I got so distracted by my surroundings that I fell out of the boat and was utterly mortified to call for help!

Erg tests/sessions - love or loathe?
    Loathe: The standard erg test was 2,000m. It was pure hell. If I can channel a bit of it for the TT this weekend I'll push through that pain.

I have a Concept 2 rower and enjoy doing my own training though

Have you any thoughts on what sport(s) you'd like to see your kids doing?
    I'd love for them to have the lifelong value to look after their body and mind. To value health above all else in themselves and others. If they find a sport within that that they love, that is a bonus. My eldest plays rugby and I love to watch. My youngest is mad to join the rugby club and my little girl does swimming and gymnastics. They have their own Yoga mat too :) I intend to bring the 2 smallies down to the athletic club when they are old enough.

What would be on the menu if you were cooking to impress?

Hmmm, for a table of runners. Perhaps a creamy fresh mint prawn and pea risotto with some fresh warm home baked bruschetta or perhaps a beef wellington with roast root veg and a killer gravy (that, alone takes me 4 hours to make) :)

Favourite snack food for the 3o'c slump (which in my case tends to be a 10am slump :o)?
    A bowl of greek yoghurt with chopped grapes, blueberries and banana, mixed seeds (pumpkin, sesame, chia etc), crushed roasted almonds and cashews (I always have these things ready in a jar - easy to roast a tray of nuts when you have a chicken or bread in the oven) a squeeze of honey and a sprinkle of granola.

Or peanut butter and jam on a bagel and a couple of squares of dark mint or hazlenut lindt chocolate.

Maybe asked already but if you could represent Ireland in the Olympics at any sport/event what would you choose?

It wasn't! I'd love the decathlon just because you get to experience so much of the track and field and every discipline is like a new event in itself.

Thanks again, lovely questions.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Very intersting replies so far - thanks for taking the time to indulge us. I followed your tri career with interest including Roth, etc. Do you ever intend to give the ironman a go again? Maybe when kids are older?

Hey EC1000 how are you? Still doing tri?

No, I have no interest in Kona or flogging myself for a qualifying time for Kona, only to die a death in the heat on a motorway. Ironman is a huge invest of time. Particularly the bike. Having said that I wouldn't mind doing Kilkee again just for the craic. Maybe for a change I'd get passed on the bike and pass a few on the run :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks again, lovely questions.

And really lovely answers, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Interesting replies so far, fair play for taking it on.

It's had to think of a question that hasn't already been asked. But one harking back to your tri days. Would you swap your sub 3 marathon for a sub 10 ironman? Basically, which would you consider the bigger achievement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hey Ceepo! How are you sir?

A) Did you continue to run xc with that club
    No, Joe basically yanked me into it on one of teh track sessions. I showed up that weekend and that was that. Maybe I was too slow to be invited back :cool:

B) Have you any plans to run xc again (post covid)
    No solid plans but now that I'm running again I definitely would love to get the lugs on and run around some fields in a fighting frenzy. I'll chat with one of the girls at the club or Joe about it this winter if XC is on.

Do you/ have you trained with Joe's group in UL.
    His Tuesday track session? I did years ago pre kids. Started back there just before Covid this year. Were you talking about a different group?

What's your favourite run training session..
    I think I answered that on MYBAD's questions. I am finding that I'm enjoying the short intervals lately though

TIA - Most welcome :)

Thanks for the answers M.

Yup that's the Joe sessions I was talking about.
    Ran a few of his track sessions many years ago when I was working up that way. Unfortunately it was a bit late in the evening for me. I'd usually have my run done when his sessions were starting. Absolute gentleman and a great coach.
    Great to see his sessions are still going.

Re XC, you might lead in the team this time around ;) Dermot is surely passed his best by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ceepo wrote:
    Re XC, you might lead in the team this time around Dermot is surely passed his best by now

He ran a 2.44 controlled virtual marathon last month. He hasn't hit his prime yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

He ran a 2.44 controlled virtual marathon last month. He hasn't hit his prime yet!

Wow did he. My comment was tongue in cheek, but still that's fair clipping for a controlled run.
    He mustn't be to far of 50 now..

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    Wow did he. My comment was tongue in cheek, but still that's fair clipping for a controlled run.
    He mustn't be to far of 50 now..

Met him on my road yesterday and he looks fit! 16m yesterday, 16m this morning at a nice clip. Regardless of each, he is motoring! Be good to do some XC again and I'm sure he gets training groups out in the run up to marathons so be good to jump on one of those too. Going to make it a mission to run run more often with company when all of this is over

zico10 wrote: »
    Interesting replies so far, fair play for taking it on.

It's had to think of a question that hasn't already been asked. But one harking back to your tri days. Would you swap your sub 3 marathon for a sub 10 ironman? Basically, which would you consider the bigger achievement?

Thats an interesting question Zico! I've also made peace with those 7 minutes.

The only thing I could have done better in Roth on the day was execute the run better. Of course 10mins slower bike might have saved 30mins on the run but I dissected it and it boils down to just being a better runner. I had 2 hours half way through the marathon to finish under 10hrs, I remember even saying it to Caz at the time :rolleyes:

IMO a sub 10 Ironman is a bigger achievement than a sub3. I'd make a guess that most sub10 Ironmen and Women could run a sub3 marathon with a focused marathon only plan.

Would I swap? No. Even though I missed the result I wanted in Roth I still had a great time and really enjoyed it. The sub3 was special because it was a specific limiter I had put on myself. The 2 times I actually went for it I came up short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

(1) Leinster in their pomp vrs Munster in their Pomp - Neutral Venue : Who wins & why??

(2) Any interest in GAA?

(3) Do Kids play sports?

(4) Why do you think "you aren't built for a 2.48" - I reckon we're similar in stature and I still plan to run better than 2.48 and I'm old.

(5) Dogs: Loveable family pet that every home should have OR a nuisance to runners.

(6) Rubberbandits: Blindboy is George Michael to Mr Chromes Andrew Rigely????

PS
    Any more jibes about me in a BB House fixing my hair and I'll defo beat you in that 100m :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

(1) Leinster in their pomp vrs Munster in their Pomp - Neutral Venue : Who wins & why??

(2) Any interest in GAA?

(3) Do Kids play sports?

(4) Why do you think "you aren't built for a 2.48" - I reckon we're similar in stature and I still plan to run better than 2.48 and I'm old.

(5) Dogs: Loveable family pet that every home should have OR a nuisance to runners.

(6) Rubberbandits: Blindboy is George Michael to Mr Chromes Andrew Rigely????

PS
    Any more jibes about me in a BB House fixing my hair and I'll defo beat you in that 100m :)

Good marathon question. M’s sub-3 (based on the report anyway) seemed relatively painlessly achieved. At the time I thought his deviations from ‘by the book’ Hanson training paces (minor enough, but still) might bite him in the ass but the result suggested the target was maybe a little further withIn the ‘circle of potential’ than originally surmised. A super performance of course but possibly a bit more to chip off yet.

... washing and blowdrying hair...

'Sup AMK ;)

Ok no matter what I'm a Munster Man true and true. Munster in their pomp beat the All Blacks... need I say more?

More recently, Chicago had a bunch of Lawnstor players but lets look at the scoring stats

Ireland: (25) 40
    Try: Murphy (10'), Stander (17'), Murray (33'), Zebo (48'), Henshaw (76')
    Conversion: Sexton (11', 35'), Carbery (77')
    Penalty: Sexton (4', 24'), Murray (59')

Of the 40 points Ireland Scored
    Munster 25
    Lawnstor 15

Right lets stick to the usual red v blue
    Contemponi rubbed it in O'Gara's face Christmas 2005. What was the score 6 months later in the Semi Final of the Heineken Cup.. in Lansdowne Road? ;)

Alas, the 2009 Semi was a kick in the teeth if you wore red. I been to a lot of these derbys.

Ok, the Lawnstor got going, at last. A few Cups, fair play. Munster are no Begrudgers. Yes ye played amazing Rugby, had Rocky Elsom, bolstered the Green jersey too and Joe Smith got to practice.

Neutral Venue
    2006 Munster, O'Connell, Axel, ROG & Co vs 2009 Leinster Drico, Darcy, Elsom (The Drico Darcy, Horgan vintage was better than Ringrose Henshaw, Larmour IMO)

key Battles
    Malcolm O vs Paulie in the line out - Paulie
    Heaslip vs Axel - Too close to call
    Leamy vs Elsom - Elsom
    Back 5 vs Back 5 - Leinster (neither blue or red wings would see much ball)

I think it would come down to the axis though
    Strings/O'Gara vs Whitaker/Sexton

It a tight tense affair Leinster would be undone by their own processes. O'Gara would keep them pinned and Sexton would bring Drico into the game.

Ultimately it would come down to the tee, and my money would be on O'Gara and Munster for that reason.

(2) Any interest in GAA?
    Been to a few Limerick hurling matches but don't really follow :o

(3) Do Kids play sports?
    :confused: My kids?
    My eldest (15) plays Rugby :D
    My youngest (3) plays Rugby :D
    My little girl (5) wants to play Rugby :D

The 2 younger ones want to run marathons like Daddy. The are very funny copying my activation routine before they head out on their scooters :)

I was trying to work that out. Are you much taller than me? I'm 161cm. With your running background (even after the football) I figured you'd be quite lean? So 13 stone doesn't compute :confused:

I'm a typical Mesomorph

I've been bitten by a sheep dog on a run and had war with his ignorant owner. I've crept past some gates, hyper alert for when one tears out. I was running along a bank in the UK before Christmas and had the bejeezus scared out of my by a loose greyhound.

Dogs are not the problem usually. Sure they will defend territory and/or give friendly chase to any moving object in luminous shoes ;). I love dogs I just don't like ignorant aggressive owners. Only this morning I passed a man and his dog twice. Most owners see you coming and tug the lead or pick up their pooch.

(6) Rubberbandits: Blindboy is George Michael to Mr Chromes Andrew Rigely???? Good analogy! I agree and am impressed :)

PS

You did 100m in school too... how quick were you? ;)

Thanks for the questions - very entertaining

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good marathon question. M’s sub-3 (based on the report anyway) seemed relatively painlessly achieved. At the time I thought his deviations from ‘by the book’ Hanson training paces (minor enough, but still) might bite him in the ass but the result suggested the target was maybe a little further with In the ‘circle of potential’ than originally surmised. A super performance of course but possibly a bit more to chip off yet.

I guess having gone 3:00 in Connemara in 2011, it would suggest the potential is there alright, particularly since Connemara is a good 6 mins slower than say Dublin. I'm sure anyone who has run both can confirm?

I trained to 2:55 paces for workouts. I didn't want to train at 2:59 paces. Is that the deviation you refer to?

In terms of "circle of potential": first I'm curious what you think that is? Secondly unfortunately I've done nothing since the sub3 to suggest I had more in the tank. :o

I fully expect there is more to chip off I've gone 3:00 and 2:58 off plans but no real base. The next cycle will build on top of a better base so that will be interesting.

Edit: Just checked back. Originally workouts were at 2:55 training paces. However after missing the bones of 2 weeks with flu I rejigged after a week of heart rate training. Using HR to establish realistic pace targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi Mike
    This is a great read as always. Don't have any questions as such. I'd like to ask you if you're up for itera 2021. Heading back to Caledonia Covid permitting. Sadly I think I know the answer :(

P. S You're memory is playing tricks on you. I'm pretty sure the infamous storming off episode happened in itera 2016 :D

Hi Mike
    This is a great read as always. Don't have any questions as such. I'd like to ask you if you're up for itera 2021. Heading back to Caledonia Covid permitting. Sadly I think I know the answer :(

P. S You're memory is playing tricks on you. I'm pretty sure the infamous storming off episode happened in itera 2016 :D
    My memory is just fine. It was after the Ben's Itera 2016 2nd stage after that lovely run down the coast. Especially lovely since my ribs were not good after the initial paddle in those swells.

Maybe I should factor some orienteering into my run training just in case. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

My memory is just fine. It was after the Ben's Itera 2016 2nd stage after that lovely run down the coast. Especially lovely since my ribs were not good after the initial paddle in those swells.

Maybe I should factor some orienteering into my run training just in case. Lol

Ah apologies. I read the Bens as the Beast. I think maybe the sun has fried my brain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

'Sup AMK ;)

Ok no matter what I'm a Munster Man true and true. Munster in their pomp beat the All Blacks... need I say more?

More recently, Chicago had a bunch of Lawnstor players but lets look at the scoring stats

Munster 25
    Lawnstor 15

Contemponi rubbed it in O'Gara's face Christmas 2005. What was the score 6 months later in the Semi Final of the Heineken Cup.. in Lansdowne Road? ;)

Alas, the 2009 Semi was a kick in the teeth if you wore red. I been to a lot of these derbys.

Ok, the Lawnstor got going, at last. A few Cups, fair play. Munster are no Begrudgers. Yes ye played amazing Rugby, had Rocky Elsom, bolstered the Green jersey too and Joe Smith got to practice.

Neutral Venue
    2006 Munster, O'Connell, Axel, ROG & Co vs 2009 Leinster Drico, Darcy, Elsom (The Drico Darcy, Horgan vintage was better than Ringrose Henshaw, Larmour IMO)

key Battles
    Leamy vs Elsom - Elsom

It a tight tense affair Leinster would be undone by their own processes. O'Gara would keep them pinned and Sexton would bring Drico into the game.

Ultimately it would come down to the tee, and my money would be on O'Gara and Munster for that reason.

I was trying to work that out. Are you much taller than me? I'm 161cm. With your running background (even after the football) I figured you'd be quite lean? So 13 stone doesn't compute :confused:

I'm a typical Mesomorph

PS

You did 100m in school too... how quick were you? ;)

Thanks for the questions - very entertaining

That's some response on the Rugby - top notch analysis.
    I reckon you're right - it would come down to the Tee - I reckon O'Gara is a better clutch kicker than Johnny and a master at dictating the space within the game.

Never timed myself in the 100m - I was the anchor leg in the 4x100 all the way through school and went undefeated in school (100m) upto 16-17 - never made a mark in Community Games on my own - but we made it to the Finals in the relay.
    I'm 6ft 2 - not quite sure on the body type, but quite lean, despite lockdown doing its best to ruin that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm 6ft 2

If McGrattans taught me anything it's that you're 5ft 11 and three quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

'Sup AMK ;)

Munster 25
    Lawnstor 15

Neutral Venue

key Battles
    Leamy vs Elsom - Elsom

Enjoyed this analysis, but I must profer Leinster 2012 as "Leinster in their pomp." Reddan instead of Whitaker, a much better more mature Heaslip, Sexton and SOB, Thorn instead of Mal O'K, Mike Ross instead of Stan Wright. Yes losing Rocky from the 09 team isn't great but overall a stronger and more balanced team in 2012.

but I digress! :D

Right I think its time to call this one and work on the next spotlight (Unless the TT Thread would like to maintain its spotlight for the week? :D)

Thank you all for your questions, so many interesting ones that made me think or remember and some bold too. We have a great community here and runners are a great bunch. The forum is in a healthy place and its just what we need during this challenging time.

I've cast my line for the next boardsie runner to take the baton. Hope to roll out the welcome mat tomorrow, early.

Advertisement