Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

• 28-05-2020 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi cycling in footpaths is very dangerous for pedestrians especially now with this virus pandemic. Every day I witness these events cyclists on the footpaths spewing out germs as they cycle past pedestrians less than two feet from them. If any of these cyclists have the virus the pedestrians have no chance they will pick up the disease. Why do the police allow this carry on. They should be protecting the elderly instead of turning a blind eye to this outrageous carryon. What do yo think out there in Ireland the country whose population do not know how to wear a facemask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bless your eyesight that you can see them spewing germs.
    But yes, it's illegal, germs or not, but no-one is bothered doing anything to put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rogerrabit wrote: »
    ... If any of these cyclists have the virus the pedestrians have no chance they will pick up the disease....
    That's a gross over-reaction. I work in the health service frontline and on the frontline a person is only considered to be at risk if they spend more than 15 minutes in close contact (i.e. less than one meter) with an infected person without wearing any PPE.

It's a difficult law to enforce. How do you prosecute a 5 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

That's a gross over-reaction. I work in the health service frontline and on the frontline a person is only considered to be at risk if they spend more than 15 minutes in close contact (i.e. less than one meter) with an infected person without wearing any PPE.

It's a difficult law to enforce. How do you prosecute a 5 year old?

Obviously aimed at teenagers and adults flying past at 20mph but ok..let's focus on 5 year olds with their training wheels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd be surprised if anyone was every prosecuted for this.

Unless caught red handed by a fairly stern Garda, I cannot see it being enforced.
    It would come across as being anti cyclist.

And as for the cute hurr cyclist, then can always just say "oh Guard, sure I was only cycling on the footpath because I was just about to enter that property right there".

I'd say just live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

If only cyclists would use those bloody cycle lanes!

https://streamable.com/u0shp6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That is pretty bad but at the end of the day the chocolate soldiers are off because of covid so people are obviously going to take advantage of that while they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That is pretty bad but at the end of the day the chocolate soldiers are off because of covid so people are obviously going to take advantage of that while they can.

This happens daily, well before the days of covid I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rogerrabit wrote: »
    Hi cycling in footpaths is very dangerous for pedestrians especially now with this virus pandemic. Every day I witness these events cyclists on the footpaths spewing out germs as they cycle past pedestrians less than two feet from them. If any of these cyclists have the virus the pedestrians have no chance they will pick up the disease. Why do the police allow this carry on. They should be protecting the elderly instead of turning a blind eye to this outrageous carryon. What do yo think out there in Ireland the country whose population do not know how to wear a facemask.

What if the pedestrians have the virus and they pass it to the cyclists? What are you going to do about that outrageous carry on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thoroughly enjoying the responses to this tweet.

https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/1266016429008134144

Looks like Jamie Heaslip got a few answers that he wasn't expecting when he went looking for problems on footpaths;

https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/1266016429008134144

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That ratio is only getting worse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Yes, it would be nice if cyclists obeyed the rules of the road and stayed off footpaths. Errant cyclists, cycling on the footpath, coming within 2 feet of pedestrians (i.e. me) is a regular phenomenon where I live and walk. These rogue cyclists seem to be unaware of the whole “social distancing” thing that has being going on here the last few months. Aside from the legal aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Nearly run over by two teen girls cycling round a vend on a path at speed and with the constant lack of regular cycling meant much swerving and braking but we all survived. No virus passed between us, that I know of.

Yeah I wish they'd cycle on the road but traffic and. Lot of drivers are a bit*h.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'd be surprised if anyone was every prosecuted for this.

Unless caught red handed by a fairly stern Garda, I cannot see it being enforced.
    It would come across as being anti cyclist.

Not enforcing it is anti pedestrian, but because pedestrians are not organised into pressure groups or have forums on Boards.ie the anti social activity is ignored.

Not enforcing it is anti pedestrian, but because pedestrians are not organised into pressure groups or have forums on Boards.ie the anti social activity is ignored.

Cycling has turned into a quasi religion/cult activity, any transgressions by them are quickly turned into an exercise of whataboutery.

Or maybe it's because traffic law in general isn't enforced here, which is why we end up with 98% of motorists breaking urban speed limits.

Cycling has turned into a quasi religion/cult activity, any transgressions by them are quickly turned into an exercise of whataboutery.

Case in point the next post after yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

But yes, it's illegal......but no-one is bothered doing anything to put a stop to it.

I would rather see a 5 year old cycling on the footpath than on the road.

No cyclist will ever be fined for cycling on a footpath. However cycling dangerously can result with a fine.

Parking on footpaths equally illegal.

At the moment there are 11 cars on road parked on the footpath.....1 on a double yellow and another on the footpath with a continuous white line.

No space given to walk on the footpath forcing pedestrians to walk on the road.

Came across a video clip* from cork recorded today by a cyclist,....18 cars/vans parked in a dedicated cycle lane (continuous white line) * just seen link was posted in first page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, we do look on rolling up one of your trouserlegs as a sensible thing to do. still working on the handshake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Yes, it would be nice if cyclists obeyed the rules of the road........rogue cyclists

Would be nice if motorists obeyed the rules of the road.

"rogue cyclists".......ffs
    Nearly run over by two teen girls cycling round a vend on a path at speed

Coming home earlier from the park with dogs in the car.

Guy in a VW 4x4 came around the corner way too fast....I had to break and move further to the left for fear he was going to hit me side on.

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    Would be nice if motorists obeyed the rules of the road.

"rogue cyclists".......ffs

Coming home earlier from the park with dogs in the car.

Guy in a VW 4x4 came around the corner way too fast....I had to break and move further to the left for fear he was going to hit me side on.

Whataboutery...ffs.

Oh look, a brand new account with a single troll post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, it would be nice if cyclists obeyed the rules of the road and stayed off footpaths. Errant cyclists, cycling on the footpath, coming within 2 feet of pedestrians (i.e. me) is a regular phenomenon where I live and walk. These rogue cyclists seem to be unaware of the whole “social distancing” thing that has being going on here the last few months. Aside from the legal aspect.
    In the past 20 years one cyclist has been responsible for the death of a pedestrian. Meanwhile, motorists have been responsible for thousands of deaths.

.......but as usual, I suppose people will prefer to focus on a few errant cyclists.

micar wrote: »
    I would rather see a 5 year old cycling on the footpath than on the road.

No cyclist will ever be fined for cycling on a footpath. However cycling dangerously can result with a fine.

Parking on footpaths equally illegal.

At the moment there are 11 cars on road parked on the footpath.....1 on a double yellow and another on the footpath with a continuous white line.

No space given to walk on the footpath forcing pedestrians to walk on the road.

Came across a video clip* from cork recorded today by a cyclist,....18 cars/vans parked in a dedicated cycle lane (continuous white line) * just seen link was posted in first page.

Is every footpath cyclist 5 years old all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There’s a constant menace, pestering the residents of Ireland. It’s called “arseholes whinging about cyclists on boards.ie” and it won’t stop until we outlaw it completely.

i've been killed six times by cyclists cyling on footpaths. thankfully i recovered each time, but someday my luck will run out.

Is every footpath cyclist 5 years old all of a sudden?

Has every suburban jeep driver got the judgement of a five year old, all of a sudden?

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1266274719906459652

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Has every suburban jeep driver got the judgement of a five year old, all of a sudden?

https://twitter.com/karldeeter/status/1266274719906459652

Too many times that has happened to me, saw s cyclist and a driver get into a serious dust up as a result, thankfully I "wasn't able to identify" the cyclist for the popo as the driver was 100% in the wrong driving like a 5 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rogerrabit

Bless your eyesight that you can see them spewing germs.
    But yes, it's illegal, germs or not, but no-one is bothered doing anything to put a stop to it.

You silly person I did not say you can see cyclists spewing germs as they cycle by you on the footpath you breathe deeper and exhale more often when you cycle. It's not illegal to cycle on footpaths that's what makes the State's plan to stop the spread of the virus farcical.

• Advertisement

fun fact: cycling laws do not apply if you're wheelieing. the gardai are powerless to enforce road traffic laws which apply to bicycles unless both wheels are on the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement