Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TDs XV

• 27-05-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭

Don't know if we've had this one before. A *senior* team made up of past or current TDs.

So far, I can come up with

Henry Kenny (father of Enda), Alan Dillon, Mayo. (Unsure if John O'Mahoney played senior?)

Mick and John Donnellan, Galway

Jimmy Deenihan, Dick Spring (?) Kerry

Jack Lynch, Cork

John Wilson, Cavan

Not sure if Tony Dempsey played senior for Wexford?

Some glaring omissions I'm sure :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sean Flannagan, Mayo
    Martin Ferris, Kerry
    Peter Fitzpatrick, Louth ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sean Flannagan, Mayo
    Martin Ferris, Kerry
    Peter Fitzpatrick, Louth ???

Ferris play senior? Forgot Flanagan ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

MfMan wrote: »
    Ferris play senior? Forgot Flanagan ...

Pretty sure Ferris never played for the seniors.
    MfMan wrote: »
    Jimmy Deenihan, Dick Spring (?) Kerry

Jimmy had a long and distinguished career with Kerry.

Dick Spring only played a few league games.
    His father Dan who was a very long-serving TD captained Kerry to an All-Ireland.

In the 2002 election Spring, Deenihan and Ferris were all candidates for the Kerry North constituency. Ferris and Deenihan got elected, with Deenihan getting a lower first preference than Spring but over-taking him on transfers for the last seat. In 2011 Ferris and Deenihan were elected alongside Arthur Spring who is Dick's nephew. This was a 3-seater constituency.

Austin Stack was a TD way back as well being an All-Ireland winning captain.

Mick Gleeson from Spa came close enough to winning a Dail seat a few years back.

In terms of more recent Kerry players, I've heard talk that Gooch, Dara (as well as Paidi back in the day) and Tadgh Kennelly were approached/being talked about as possible candidates for the Dail over the years.

TDs who played with Kerry
    Jimmy Deenihan
    Dan Spring
    Dick Spring
    Austin Stack
    Martin Ferris - U21 only

I'm sure if someone went combing the history books and town/county councillors were allowed and U21 and minor were allowed, you could probably put together a pretty decent Kerry political GAA 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You could put the likes of John O'Leary and Graham Geraghty on the subs bench; both stood for election but didn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Former TD and GAA President Dan O'Rourke played for Roscommon.
    Jack McQuillan and Hugh Gibbons won All Irelands in 1943 and 1944 for Roscommon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Michael Finneran - ex FF TD retired 2011 played for Roscommon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

KevRossi wrote: »
    You could put the likes of John O'Leary and Graham Geraghty on the subs bench; both stood for election but didn't get in.

Didn't 'make the team' though :)
    Ex-Galway senior Eddie Hoare is a city councillor for FG. I'm sure he will have a crack at the Dail sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Pretty sure Ferris never played for the seniors.

Jimmy had a long and distinguished career with Kerry.

Dick Spring only played a few league games.
    His father Dan who was a very long-serving TD captained Kerry to an All-Ireland.

In the 2002 election Spring, Deenihan and Ferris were all candidates for the Kerry North constituency. Ferris and Deenihan got elected, with Deenihan getting a lower first preference than Spring but over-taking him on transfers for the last seat. In 2011 Ferris and Deenihan were elected alongside Arthur Spring who is Dick's nephew. This was a 3-seater constituency.

Austin Stack was a TD way back as well being an All-Ireland winning captain.

Mick Gleeson from Spa came close enough to winning a Dail seat a few years back.

In terms of more recent Kerry players, I've heard talk that Gooch, Dara (as well as Paidi back in the day) and Tadgh Kennelly were approached/being talked about as possible candidates for the Dail over the years.

TDs who played with Kerry
    Jimmy Deenihan
    Dan Spring
    Dick Spring
    Austin Stack
    Martin Ferris - U21 only

I'm sure if someone went combing the history books and town/county councillors were allowed and U21 and minor were allowed, you could probably put together a pretty decent Kerry political GAA 15.

Dick Spring also played hurling with Kerry in the 70's.

I think Martin Ferris was around the seinor panel in the late 70's but was doing other things shall we say...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

The only man to captain Laois to a senior All-Ireland title was 1915 hurling captain Jack Finlay who later in life became a TD for FG.
    Similarly, one of the last Laois hurling team to win the Leinster senior hurling title was Abbeyleix based TD and FF minister Paddy Lalor.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

KevRossi wrote: »
    Is there room for two keepers ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Curran
    Curran stood at the 2016 general election as a Fianna Fáil candidate in the Roscommon–Galway constituency

• Advertisement
Advertisement