Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Famous inter-county minors

• 26-05-2020 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

I would like to compile a list of people who played county minor ( or under 21), never progressed to senior, but found fame elsewhere. Contributions are welcome. Let's keep the bar fairly low where fame is concerned. We're not talking Nobel Prize winners.
    Offhand I can think of the following:

TYRONE FOOTBALL:
    Barnie Eastwood, boxing promoter and one-time mentor of Barry McGuigan.
    Austin Currie, Stormont M.P. and Fine Gael T.D.
    Tommy Corr, Olympic boxer.

DOWN FOOTBALL:
    Patrick Kielty

DERRY FOOTBALL:
    Martin O'Neill,
    Neil Lennon.

KERRY FOOTBALL:
    Brendan Kennelly.

LIMERICK FOOTBALL:
    David Hanley.

KILDARE FOOTBALL:
    Paul Mescal played under 21, but did he play minor?

OFFALY FOOTBALL:
    Brian Cowen.

WICKLOW HURLING:
    Dara O'Briain was on the field for 20 or 30 minutes.

MAYO FOOTBALL:
    John O'Mahony T.D,

DUBLIN HURLING:
    Niall Quinn.

CORK HURLING:
    Denis Irwin,
    Tomas O'Leary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Chris O'Dowd played minor football for Roscommon

Rob Kearney for Louth

Shane Horgan for Meath

Robbie Henshaw for Westmeath (pattern developing)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Shane Long played hurling for Tipp before he moved onto soccer

Could be wrong but i think Stephen Hunt played for the Waterford minors

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dennis Taylor Snooker player played minor for Tyrone.

Damien Delaney played Minor for Cork in 1999

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Pretty sure Packie Bonner played senior for donegal when he was still a minor. Obviously he played minor too.

Neil Lennon is from Armagh not Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭golfball37

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Shane Long played hurling for Tipp before he moved onto soccer

Could be wrong but i think Stephen Hunt played for the Waterford minors

Shane Long scored 2 goals in successive Munster Hurling finals in 2003 and 2004 for Tipp vs Cork. I was at the second one, the same day of the classic senior match where Mullane was sent off and Waterford beat Cork.

• Advertisement

Paul McGinley played for Dublin (F) before committing to Golf, was supposedly very good.

Martin Ferris won an u21 All Ireland with Kerry on a team where many of them would go on to win multiple senior All-Irelands such as Paidí and Pat Spillane. Martin took up sailing instead of staying with the football !

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Pat Jennings - Down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Danny O'Reilly from The Coronas played with Dublin minors in 03.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Kevin Doyle played minor football for Wexford. Not minor, but Tadhg Furlong was full back on the last Wexford team to win the Tony Forrestal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Niall Breslin -Bressie football with Westmeath

tommy bowe - Monaghan football I think

Ciaran fitzgerald - Galway minor football went on to have a decent rugby career with Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

bruschi wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle played minor football for Wexford. Not minor, but Tadhg Furlong was full back on the last Wexford team to win the Tony Forrestal.

Widely believed all right that Doyle played for Wexford minors, but it's not actually true. Bit like how Socrates never really played soccer for UCD. :)

He did play for Good Counsel (New Ross) under the same man who also manager of Wexford minors at the time, so maybe that's where the story came from.

You're spot on about Furlong, though. Bit about his GAA prowess here, including a couple of video clips -
    https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/tadhg-furlong-gaa-154386

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Also, it's not minor or Under-21, but Paul Nolan (racehorse trainer, with a couple of Cheltenham winners) has an All-Ireland Junior Hurling medal, won with Wexford in 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Did Seamus Mallon play underage for Armagh? Also, one of the Cardinals of Armagh or Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

golfball37 wrote: »
    Martin Ferris won an u21 All Ireland with Kerry on a team where many of them would go on to win multiple senior All-Irelands such as Paidí and Pat Spillane. Martin took up sailing instead of staying with the football !

:D. :D. :D. :D

Pretty sure Packie Bonner played senior for donegal when he was still a minor. Obviously he played minor too.

Neil Lennon is from Armagh not Derry.

Packie Bonner is disqualified if he played senior, as is Dick Spring who played both SF and SH for Kerry. That's one for all of you who are busy setting lockdown pub quizzes. He notoriously and ingloriously dropped the ball in a rugby game againist Wale, with disastrous consequences. Many years later someone accused him of making politi
    cal capital out of his rugby career, and he countered that if he wanted to capitalise on his rugby career he should stand for election in Wales.
    Can you confirmnthat Neil Lennonnplayed minor for Armagh?

Incidentally, can you all come up with more people outside of sport, such as poets, politicians or even people who did well out of the unprescribed pharmaceuticals trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I always imagined playing numerous sports could get a bit confusing

MfMan wrote: »
    Did Seamus Mallon play underage for Armagh? Also, one of the Cardinals of Armagh or Derry?

Not sure about Seamus Mallon but I think so. Can anybody confirm?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tomás Ó Fiaich played for Armagh. I don't know.

The Ulster schools cup is named after Cardinal Joseph MacRory, but he would have been a hairy minor as he was born in 1861.

If Cathal Daly played for Antrim I would say it was at tiddlywinks.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I always imagined playing numerous sports could get a bit confusing

It can have its advantages. A Meathman scored a try against Louth in a Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

feargale wrote: »
    Not sure about Seamus Mallon but I think so. Can anybody confirm?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tomás Ó Fiaich played for Armagh. I don't know.

The Ulster schools cup is named after Cardinal Joseph MacRory, but he would have been a hairy minor as he was born in 1861.

If Cathal Daly played for Antrim I would say it was in tiddlywinks.

I have a one of those GAA history fact books at home here, and one section addresses a few urban myths. This was one them- a Seamus Mallon did play for Armagh but it was someone else entirely who happened to share the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

David Clifford Kerry

David Clifford Kerry

Best to read OP before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Lee Steacy sub goalie for Dublin minors in 2011. Now playing in goal for Longford Town. James Madden Dublin minor in 2017 now playing Aussie Rules with Brisbane Lions. Zach Tuohy plays Aussie Rules with Geelong played minor with Laois in 07. Declan Boyle who played soccer with Celtic and Sligo Rovers was a Donegal minor. Damien Delaney(Cork) and Gavin Duffy(Mayo) both played in 99 minor AI final. Michael Schlingermann Mayo minor goalie in 09 playing soccer with Galway Utd now. Northern Ireland soccer international Niall McGinn won AI minor title for Tyrone in 04.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jack Carty Connacht Rugby, played minor for Roscommon.
    Also represented Ireland in soccer up to U15 or 16 level IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Archbishop Sean Brady played minor football with Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Padraig Amond, lower league soccer player in UK, hit the headlines in the last couple of years with big FA Cup goals is a former Carlow minor hurler (possibly footballer too).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Kevin Lynch captained Derry U16 Hurlers

Padraig Amond, lower league soccer player in UK, hit the headlines in the last couple of years with big FA Cup goals is a former Carlow minor hurler (possibly footballer too).

Was he on the Carlow minor hurling team that got to the Leinster final?

Down9194 wrote: »
    Kevin Lynch captained Derry U16 Hurlers

Did he play minor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Jim Stynes - Dublin.

Advertisement