Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Conspiracy Guys Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Loughc wrote: »
    LOL no he did not, TCG has turned into a right mess lately and has lost an awful lot of steam since his paid holiday feel through.

I listened to the Brittany Murphy and Chris Benoit episodes when they were released and he sounded bored throughout them.

Did he actually go to America at all?

I tried listening to the Ted Bundy episode a few weeks ago and it’s possibly possibly some of the worst broadcasting I’ve ever listened to, I couldn’t get passed 45 minutes.

As an aside I listened to some episodes of the Casefile pod I seen recommenced by someone on this thread and it’s excellent, has anyone else got any recommendations for true crime podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What was the story - he wanted the listeners to fund his American holiday?

He set up a patreon to try and earn €50,000 I think, I could be wrong on that figure to go to America with his girlfriend for a year and make 12 documentaries which he planned to sell to Netflix.

I think that he ran in to trouble initially because he didn’t realise the visa restrictions would be hard to get around and he didn’t manage to raise the money as far as I’m aware. He was planning on going for a shorter period of time but I don’t know what happened next or if he actually went.

He was getting annoyed on the shows because people weren’t meeting his financial donation goal.

The whole thing came across as a total vanity project.

redbuck wrote: »
    He set up a patreon to try and earn €50,000 I think, I could be wrong on that figure to go to America with his girlfriend for a year and make 12 documentaries which he planned to sell to Netflix.

I think that he ran in to trouble initially because he didn’t realise the visa restrictions would be hard to get around and he didn’t manage to raise the money as far as I’m aware. He was planning on going for a shorter period of time but I don’t know what happened next or if he actually went.

He was getting annoyed on the shows because people weren’t meeting his financial donation goal.

The whole thing came across as a total vanity project.

I vaguely remember that from one of the episodes

You could hear it in the tone of his voice that he was one step away from throwing a tantrum over the lack of generosity !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I vaguely remember that from one of the episodes

You could hear it in the tone of his voice that he was one step away from throwing a tantrum over the lack of generosity !

He did throw a fit on social media back when the gofundme thing started and no one was contributing.

He went on a big rant how his girlfriend was taking a career break fro teaching to go with him so he needed to cover her salary as well as other costs. Like it’s not anyone’s problem they didn’t plan or saved up for the trip properly.

He thought the downloads they got would equal serious cash but he’s wrong. Podcasts do so well on downloads as they’re free that’s all to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Grifter’s gotta grift

He did throw a fit on social media back when the gofundme thing started and no one was contributing.

He went on a big rant how his girlfriend was taking a career break fro teaching to go with him so he needed to cover her salary as well as other costs. Like it’s not anyone’s problem they didn’t plan or saved up for the trip properly.

He thought the downloads they got would equal serious cash but he’s wrong. Podcasts do so well on downloads as they’re free that’s all to it.

I never realised that he wanted to cover his girlfriends salary too.

I see on the $50 tier on Patreon that those members get early access to the documentaries so I’m assuming he’s still planning on making them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I never realised that he wanted to cover his girlfriends salary too.

I see on the $50 tier on Patreon that those members get early access to the documentaries so I’m assuming he’s still planning on making them.

He’ll probably will try again in 2021. Not a chance it will happen unless a studio offer to fund it for him. Which they won’t.

I dont really understand why he feels the need to make the documentaries even

• Advertisement

I dont really understand why he feels the need to make the documentaries even

Vanity project. I honestly believe he thinks he can sell them to Netflix for a million Euro :pac:

Google any self made conspiracy documentaries and all you find are YouTube videos that only crackpots watch. They never make it big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very little output these days. Last episode was September 1st and the episodes are very sporadic at this stage. I wonder is he losing interest.

Very little output these days. Last episode was September 1st and the episodes are very sporadic at this stage. I wonder is he losing interest.

I stopped listening after someone suggested listening to Casefile here. He was very desperate for the trip to America to happen and it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I didn’t enjoy any of the new shows I’d listened to either.

I wonder where Gordo stands on Covid 19 btw?

He made an announcement at the start of November saying that he is going to be putting out more output and on a more regular basis. He seemed to have a bee in his bonnet about people asking him to get a co host or to get a co presenter, and went on a bit of a rant about "There are people who were on the first shows who WILL NOT BE COMING BACK". I can only think that this was a reference to Paul, the former co-host. He was great, and very funny. The show certainly is much lesser without his input. I wonder what he is doing now, cos I would probably listen to him if he had another podcast.

Have a listen back and see what ye think.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/those-conspiracy-guys-gordon-rochford-thoAeCSv3UN/

It's the one called Season 8 Announcement.

He made an announcement at the start of November saying that he is going to be putting out more output and on a more regular basis. He seemed to have a bee in his bonnet about people asking him to get a co host or to get a co presenter, and went on a bit of a rant about "There are people who were on the first shows who WILL NOT BE COMING BACK". I can only think that this was a reference to Paul, the former co-host. He was great, and very funny. The show certainly is much lesser without his input. I wonder what he is doing now, cos I would probably listen to him if he had another podcast.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/those-conspiracy-guys-gordon-rochford-thoAeCSv3UN/

Yeah I listened to that Season 8 announcement I read the description that he was going to address the concerns and issues about the Pod and I initially thought you know what fair play, it takes a big man to admin there's issues and to address them.

Then I listened to it.. and essentially his address was to tell people to jog on and f off if they didn't like things. That's the way things are going to be.

He was also clearly hinting about Paul never coming back. Told people to stop asking. I thought Paul was the brains behind the operation, he did lots of research and was VERY witty. Gordo relies on dick jokes every 2 mins to get him through.

It's a shame as the podcast can be very good at times. Gordo just need to relax and not let negative feedback affect him so much. I still tune in every now and then and pick and choose episodes to listen to.

Gordo defo has a fragile ego, which he has no need to have, he's done very well for himself no the back of the pod.

I thought Paul was the brains behind the operation, he did lots of research and was VERY witty. Gordo relies on dick jokes every 2 mins to get him through.

I think you're being very unfair to Gordo there. He relies on dick jokes and impressions :P

I get the same vibe on the criticism. The patronising line that "if you don't like it, maybe it's not for you" (i.e. the problem is with you, and not with the podcast). It's a very useful disclaimer for him when he doesn't want to discuss issues that might lose him his revenue stream. Specifically the Anti Vax episode. He made an announcement before the episode to say "this is what it's about, if you don't like it then maybe it's not for you", and proceeded to have a supposed Anti Vax episode with two vaccine advocates. Similar with 9/11, seems he doesn't want to follow up on that, too hot to handle.

The idea of doing a "deeper dive" on particular topics is a good idea - very clever given that he had pretty much done an episode on (/exhausted) all the most popular conspiracy events. However, I listened to the one about the Oaklahoma Bombings though, and it was all over the place. There's a lot good about the podcast, and there's a lot good about Gordo, but I think Gordo could do with a good producer.

I think you're being very unfair to Gordo there. He relies on dick jokes and impressions

There's a lot good about the podcast, and there's a lot good about Gordo, but I think Gordo could do with a good producer.

So true. Completely agree with the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Haven't listened to this in ages. It's very hit and miss. When it's good I really enjoy it. But it can be unlistenable at times. I remember the area 51 one was like listening to a bunch of people having the craic in a pub, everyone laughing and talking over each other. Any of the ones with Edwin Sammon are very enjoyable. Shame it hasn't reached it's full potential.

Haven't listened to this in ages. It's very hit and miss. When it's good I really enjoy it. But it can be unlistenable at times. I remember the area 51 one was like listening to a bunch of people having the craic in a pub, everyone laughing and talking over each other. Any of the ones with Edwin Sammon are very enjoyable. Shame it hasn't reached it's full potential.

The Ted Bundy episode he done was the biggest load of tripe I’ve ever heard.

I agree with the poster above who suggested revisiting certain topics. Now we’re getting true crime podcasts with people on who are plugging something.

• Advertisement

6 hours 51 minutes on Malcolm X

Anyone? :confused:

No thanks. It’s not a topic that interests me in the slightest.

How many hours of that is Gordo doing voices and being vulgar?

My guess is probably 4 hours.

How many hours of that is Gordo doing voices and being vulgar?

My guess is probably 4 hours.

I would have guessed 5.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

About half an hour on Malcom x and a lot of ranting and bull****. I had to fast forward a good bit as the accents and impressions were cringeworthy.

I wouldn't mind if it was funny but it's not. It was just stupid. Last Podcast on the Left can inject humour and it works. This one I was just cringing for him.

Really overlong, the research involved was reading wikipedia and watching the Spike Lee film. Really basic stuff on racism in the US and how it was bad.

I would say I fast forward about half.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I just had a listen to this. The guy is an egoistical man-child. Who equates hours of research to watching videos on Youtube. He comes across as so petty and petulant.

A lot of complaining about one star reviews on Itunes. People giving him one star reviews because he cant pronounce a word or he made fun of kids in Syria. Not the case. Its complaints about, guests, poor research, "15 minutes of begging" at the start of the show and an erratic release schedule.

It looks like they have also dissolved the "Those Conspiracy Guys Limited". That happened in Oct 2019. Which might explain why they (well Gordon) hasn't released a whole lot since then.

Time for Gordon to find a new gig. Did they offer to refund anyone who donated towards Gordons holi.... eh research trip to the US?

Edit: I dont want to make fun of someone's weight or how they look. But I did notice Gordan say he will not be getting the vaccine for COVID. When you read this Gordon. I ask that you reconsider. You weigh 330 lbs, which puts you in the high risk category.

But I did notice Gordan say he will not be getting the vaccine for COVID.

I must have missed that bit. Their whole Anti Vaccination discussion was so Pro Vaccination, I would be surprised if he took that stance.

He has a podcast up with that Tom O'Mahony guy from December 23rd, which he felt obliged to apologise for in advance. "This is a swapcast and I know that a lot of you don't like swapcasts, so don't give out to me if it's not what you expected". He is starting a lot of podcasts with that disclaimer these days.

Regular podcast about Port Arthur due out today he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I must have missed that bit. Their whole Anti Vaccination discussion was so Pro Vaccination, I would be surprised if he took that stance.

He definitely said he won't be getting it.

TBH I was more shocked by if you don't like a particular episode "jog on".

There are much better shows out there. I have no idea why anyone would bother with Gordo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I like Those Conspiracy guys. I don't always agree with the theories put forward but a difference in opinion can make for better listening.

I wish the episodes were released in closer groups though. It drags out way too long and I'm bored of the interviews. I like the true crime usually but certain ones I can't stand but they're not regulars. I'll listen to the Malcolm X episode but that's mainly because I haven't a notion about him.

• Advertisement

I like the true crime usually but certain ones I can't stand but they're not regulars. I'll listen to the Malcolm X episode but that's mainly because I haven't a notion about him.

You should just watch the movie Ais, that's what they did for their research! :D

The length of the shows is one thing that always confused me. He is really going against the grain with this one, as most podcasts are about an hour long, and if longer they split it in to a number of parts. He says that most people like to listen along while in work. I can certainly understand that if you don't want mainstream voices poisoning your mind 8 hours a day, and would just rather listen to something a little more light hearted. But I generally find myself listening to the first two hours and then just tuning out.

Advertisement