Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Regripping Yonex

• 23-05-2020 9:28am

Can it be done? The clubs are ancient but just pulled them out again. I was always informed years ago that there was something odd about the size and they couldn’t be re-gripped properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Can it be done? The clubs are ancient but just pulled them out again. I was always informed years ago that there was something odd about the size and they couldn’t be re-gripped properly.
    This guy seems to have them. Have got grips from him in the past and he's very reliable.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This guy seems to have them. Have got grips from him in the past and he's very reliable.

Nice one thanks. I might try one wood and one iron and see how they go (I’d only be looking at a driving range for now whenever they’re up and running again). It’s a long time since I looked so maybe before it was just that things weren’t as easily got in those days.

Nice one thanks. I might try one wood and one iron and see how they go (I’d only be looking at a driving range for now whenever they’re up and running again). It’s a long time since I looked so maybe before it was just that things weren’t as easily got in those days.
    They seem to be very big. He lists them as 0.865 which is usually the diameter of the shaft in inches. I'm familiar with the 'Bubble' shaft which I've seen on Adams woods, and they'd be fairly meaty as well. You could always take the grip off one and measure the diameter of the shaft. Regular shafts these days are around 0.6".

They seem to be very big. He lists them as 0.865 which is usually the diameter of the shaft in inches. I'm familiar with the 'Bubble' shaft which I've seen on Adams woods, and they'd be fairly meaty as well. You could always take the grip off one and measure the diameter of the shaft. Regular shafts these days are around 0.6".

Is that at the very top?

Is that at the very top?
    Yeah. It's the only place that you can be sure of measuring accurately. Doesn't matter if it's not exact to the 10th of an inch, there's a degree of stretch in grips anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I’ve a verniers knocking around somewhere for it anyway. They really are as smooth as glass at this stage (they weren’t great when I originally bought them 2nd hand).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sipper

Yes it can be done but these 0.865 diameter size grips are now as rare as hen's teeth. Lamkin was still producing one up until a couple of years ago, but it doesn't feature in their current catalogue. Taylor Made, Adams and Yonex had then because the shafts had a noticeable bulge.

This is looking like your best option nowadays
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-RIP-BIG-BUTT-865-GOLF-GRIPS-MENS-BLACK-FOR-YONEX-TAYLOR-MADE-BUBBLE-SHAFT/362901460929?epid=1643088667&hash=item547e9cd7c1:g:zBIAAOSwAlJbgaOw

If you attempt to put any normal .580 or .600 size grip on it will end up being far far thicker than normal and un usable. Ideally you would also need a 'Big Butt regripping tool' which makes sliding them on much easier.
    Use plenty of grip solvent / white spirits.

Sipper wrote: »
    Yes it can be done but these 0.865 diameter size grips are now as rare as hen's teeth. Lamkin was still producing one up until a couple of years ago, but it doesn't feature in their current catalogue. Taylor Made, Adams and Yonex had then because the shafts had a noticeable bulge.

This is looking like your best option nowadays
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G-RIP-BIG-BUTT-865-GOLF-GRIPS-MENS-BLACK-FOR-YONEX-TAYLOR-MADE-BUBBLE-SHAFT/362901460929?epid=1643088667&hash=item547e9cd7c1:g:zBIAAOSwAlJbgaOw

If you attempt to put any normal .580 or .600 size grip on it will end up being far far thicker than normal and un usable. Ideally you would also need a 'Big Butt regripping tool' which makes sliding them on much easier.
    Use plenty of grip solvent / white spirits.
    They're actually available from Gamola Golf in the correct size. As per my post above.

They're actually available from Gamola Golf in the correct size. As per my post above.

They mention the tool and all in the listing, which I’ll go for as well.

Haven’t cut it off yet as the verniers is in work but I’ll bring it home this evening.

I won’t do the shaft any damage slicing it off will I? I know it’s highly unlikely but just in case. Was just going to go down the length of it with a Stanley but would it be better to hear-gun/hairdryer it first?

• Advertisement

I won’t do the shaft any damage slicing it off will I? I know it’s highly unlikely but just in case. Was just going to go down the length of it with a Stanley but would it be better to hear-gun/hairdryer it first?

Use a Stanley knife but with a carpet / hook blade. A normal straight blade is more tricky.
    Work from the mouth end up towards the butt

It's usually possible to tear it once you make an initial (approx) 1" cut at the bottom. I used to use one of those hooked blades, but found (especially with graphite shafts) that the back of the blade would scratch the shaft. So now I just use an ordinary blade and cut up about an inch or so and then just grip the two sides and tear it. Don't cut down into the grip towards the shaft, cut up from the end. Carefully. ;)

It's usually possible to tear it once you make an initial (approx) 1" cut at the bottom. I used to use one of those hooked blades, but found (especially with graphite shafts) that the back of the blade would scratch the shaft. So now I just use an ordinary blade and cut up about an inch or so and then just grip the two sides and tear it. Don't cut down into the grip towards the shaft, cut up from the end. Carefully. ;)

Over 30 years experience in all forms of club repairs here.
    Use only a straight blade if you don't value your fingers.

Sipper wrote: »
    Over 30 years experience in all forms of club repairs here.
    Use only a straight blade if you don't value your fingers.
    You can use a straight blade if you cut away from yourself and you're only cutting a short way up the shaft. Can't figure out how you can cut your fingers if you're gripping below the blade and cutting away from where you're holding the shaft. The open end of the grip is the thinnest part and the easiest to cut.

Years of cutting the hands off myself doing cables means the gloves will be on anyway :D

Years of cutting the hands off myself doing cables means the gloves will be on anyway :D
    :)

The method I describe is quite easy. Once you've started the cut, it will tear apart enough to grip and pull off like unrolling a sock. Gets a bit tough towards the butt end, but you have so much material to grip, it's relatively easy. I was never entirely comfortable using the hooked blade because the tendency was to pull it towards yourself.

Advertisement