Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registering a classic

Options
  • 25-05-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I brought back a car from the UK about 15 years ago to restore. I didn't declare it then as I was told by revenue that i could carry on and register it when it's finished. I'm nervous now as I don't know what they will charge me when I do register it. Anybody been through this,would appreciate any
    advice.

Cheers Paul.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi there,

I've moved your thread across to the Motors forum where people may be better able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

is it in your name and more to the point ,do you have the UK registration doct (V5C) ?

My instinct says that your car was in the country when the current set of regs came about .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 79capri

Isambard wrote: »
    is it in your name and more to the point ,do you have the UK registration doct (V5C) ?

My instinct says that your car was in the country when the current set of regs came about .

Hi, Thanks for replying, I do have the UK V5C and my name is on it.

Paul.

that's good.

I suppose you'd have to throw yourself on the mercy of the Revenue. In theory there would be a charge for late payment of VRT even though you actually can't re-register it until it is a going concern. It's a percentage of the VRT x the delay, the VRT would be €200 so it wouldn't be a vast sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 79capri

Isambard wrote: »
    that's good.

I suppose you'd have to throw yourself on the mercy of the Revenue. In theory there would be a charge for late payment of VRT even though you actually can't re-register it until it is a going concern. It's a percentage of the VRT x the delay, the VRT would be €200 so it wouldn't be a vast sum.

That's a relief, I can live with a couple of hundred euro, I thought it might run into thousands given the time I have it.
    Thanks for the reply,appreciate it.

Paul.

• Advertisement

don't take it as gospel, it's an opinion,only Revenue can give you the actual position.

Advertisement