Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT on car in country before 30th birthday

• 22-05-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

but not VRT's till after 30

I have a car with my mate in UK. It will be 30 on July 1st which I was waiting for but he is now taking a secondment to far east in middle June and I might need the car shipped before that.

so, if the car is in Ireland before its 30, but within the 30day - whats the position on the 39 year rule for VRT ?

I presume they will just charge the VRT applicable on the day ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

You said it yourself, within 30 days. You can make an appointment to get the car inspected at any time within that 30 day period. It could be that with all thats going on you might be in a queue well past the cars birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks - but will they try make me pay normal vrt because it was in the country before it is 30 ?

Its done on the day you present as long as its within the 30 days. However, if they cant see you within the 30 days you have a chance to argue the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

But doesn't the car needs to be 30 or gone on the day it's presented? Like, if it's 29 years and 27 days old when you bring it to be inspected, it's not 30, so it's subject to under 30 year old rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

surely the point of having to provide a ferry ticket or similar is to prove the date of importation. It may be you 'd get away with it, but I think you could be caught for VRT from the date of importation. You are in any case obliged to book an appointment within 7 days of arrival, so that's more evidence that the date of importation is important.

• Advertisement

thats just because you have to vrt it within 30 days of it landing on Irish soil - so you need a docket to prove you have not been driving it around on UK plates for an age I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Stick it in a rented parking spot for a few weeks in the uk as a last resort? I think you need a dated invoice from purchase as well though?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thats just because you have to vrt it within 30 days of it landing on Irish soil - so you need a docket to prove you have not been driving it around on UK plates for an age I guess[/QUOTE

that's the same thing surely? If they got a date that showed you had been driving it around for a period, they wouldn't let you VRT it as if it was 30 yrs old? Same would apply to parking it up for a number weeks.

conor-w wrote: »
    Stick it in a rented parking spot for a few weeks in the uk as a last resort? I think you need a dated invoice from purchase as well though?

If its only a matter of weeks then park it in a long term airport car park

w124man wrote: »
    If its only a matter of weeks then park it in a long term airport car park

Makes sense to me. A UK airport of course, and fly in when you're ready

• Advertisement

But my intention is to have it shipped over on transpoter!

I wont be looking to fly over to drive it 150 metres.

Its also not supposed tobe on the road at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

thats just because you have to vrt it within 30 days of it landing on Irish soil - so you need a docket to prove you have not been driving it around on UK plates for an age I guess

The exemption applies at the point of arrival into the State as that is when the liability to register it arises. Realistically, NCTS’s procedures might allow this to slip through but is it worthwhile taking the risk? If you’re going to drive to the Lakes, why not continue up through Scotland and across to NI and pay someone for a month’s storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭KevRossi

But my intention is to have it shipped over on transpoter!

I wont be looking to fly over to drive it 150 metres.

Its also not supposed tobe on the road at all.

Get in touch with the transport company and see if they can store the car for a couple of weeks prior to shipping.

Advertisement