Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year...... New TV series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    First casualty of Christmas 2020 :(

Actually the vibe of the article is that they want it to happen, so I wouldn't rule it out yet.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Actually the vibe of the article is that they want it to happen, so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Will fully admin to not reading the article. Read your summary and assumed the worst, my bad, lets hope I'm wrong!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Will fully admin to not reading the article. Read your summary and assumed the worst, my bad, lets hope I'm wrong!

I hope you're wrong too!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Id say it could go ahead just with no live audience and possibly no kids or a limited number of kids. Or kids could prerecord or zoom a call in with Ryan to give their opinion on a toy. Maybe families could send in videos of themselves doing Acts , playing instruments, singing etc. I’m sure Niall Horan and a few other acts could come in and socially distance like the musical acts have done on the show the past few weeks.

It’s still possible. Just look how well they did Eurovision this year and I’m not even a fan of it. They put on a highly entertaining show that still gave us the essence of a normal Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Eurovision was what it was.
    They'll do something for Toy Show as well and it will be fine but it just won't be the same as it was in the last few years.
    Hopefully they'll might have a Christmas theme on it this year tough.
    Things will be different and you've just to make the most of them.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Id say it could go ahead just with no live audience and possibly no kids or a limited number of kids. Or kids could prerecord or zoom a call in with Ryan to give their opinion on a toy. Maybe families could send in videos of themselves doing Acts , playing instruments, singing etc. I’m sure Niall Horan and a few other acts could come in and socially distance like the musical acts have done on the show the past few weeks.

It’s still possible. Just look how well they did Eurovision this year and I’m not even a fan of it. They put on a highly entertaining show that still gave us the essence of a normal Eurovision.

As the article said, they're looking to proceed if at all possible, i've heard that the traditional type of show would need to be prepped soon and thats a worry hence the alternatives being explored, but I'd be hopeful we get something anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/showbiz/gavin-and-staceys-mathew-horne-responds-to-rumours-of-christmas-2020-special/

Not that I think anyone expected it so soon but definitely no Gavin & Stacey follow up Christmas special this coming Christmas anyway. Really hope they dont leave it too long though, 2021 would be great.

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/showbiz/gavin-and-staceys-mathew-horne-responds-to-rumours-of-christmas-2020-special/

Not that I think anyone expected it so soon but definitely no Gavin & Stacey follow up Christmas special this coming Christmas anyway. Really hope they dont leave it too long though, 2021 would be great.

Lets hope this doesn't become a trend :( Love a good Christmas special.

Binge watched After life on netflix over the last few nights, not a new series I know but had to say something as I thought it was one of the best things I've watched in years. Normally its the Mrs who's sheds a few tears watching anything like this bur for whatever reason this really struck a chord with me & I'm not ashamed to admit I got quite emotional watching a few of the episodes. Easily Ricky Gervais best work IMO & the entire ensemble cast are superb too. I'd recommend highly if you haven't already watched this (I appreciate I'm late to the party on this one)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Binge watched After life on netflix over the last few nights, not a new series I know but had to say something as I thought it was one of the best things I've watched in years. Normally its the Mrs who's sheds a few tears watching anything like this bur for whatever reason this really struck a chord with me & I'm not ashamed to admit I got quite emotional watching a few of the episodes. Easily Ricky Gervais best work IMO & the entire ensemble cast are superb too. I'd recommend highly if you haven't already watched this (I appreciate I'm late to the party on this one)

It's a great show I really enjoyed it, have you got up to season 2 yet?

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    It's a great show I really enjoyed it, have you got up to season 2 yet?

Yeah, watched all 12 of them. Loved it.

Probably an unpopular opinion however didn't like Normal People at all. Gave it four episodes and called it quits. Wife is still watching it but wasn't for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Probably an unpopular opinion however didn't like Normal People at all. Gave it four episodes and called it quits. Wife is still watching it but wasn't for me.

I've watched a few episodes myself but nothing is really drawing me back - I haven't read the book but I didn't manage to avoid all of the spoilers either so I more or less know what happens. I might flick it back on some evening if I am in the mood but I won't be too bothered if I don't either!

Ah wouldnt worry about that, there's been plenty of 'popular' shows I just didn't get & others that I loved & other didn't get or like. If we all liked the same stuff it would be very boring indeed.

I thought it was likeable enough a show, though it did come up at an ideal time for myself & herself as we had little to watch at the time & it was between shows for us, so it filled a gap essentially.

I thought it was likeable enough a show, though it did come up at an ideal time for myself & herself as we had little to watch at the time & it was between shows for us, so it filled a gap essentially.

That's pretty much why we started on it. Our stack of recorded programmes had run out and hadn't really researched anything new so just said we would give it a go as everyone was talking about it.

FYI, thought the [EMAIL="s@x"]s@x[/EMAIL] scenes were pretty tame and don't know what the all the fuss was about :confused:

FYI, thought the [EMAIL="s@x"]s@x[/EMAIL] scenes were pretty tame and don't know what the all the fuss was about :confused:

Agree, as I had said previously the people in uproar over them should steer well clear of Game of Thrones & Banshee & the likes!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,386 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On Normal People - I thought the later episode set in the Italian villa was excellent, it was almost a mini movie.

I found a hard time believing 21st century Trinity Arts students could be so incapable of expressing emotions... but the acting still drew me in to caring about the characters.
    I think I read a comment by someone in the Sunday Times that they reminded them not of modern teenagers - but of a novel about undergraduates in 1950s and 1960s England.
    So I tried to ignore the mobile phones and think of it that way, as a novel on screen and it worked for me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I watched the whole thing, but thought it was a bit of a yawn fest, to be honest.
    I was very confused as to when the explicit and graphic shenanigans was going to begin, because everything was extremely tame. :pac:

Posy wrote: »

I was very confused as to when the explicit and graphic shenanigans was going to begin, because everything was extremely tame. :pac:

LOL, glad it wasn't just us so!

3 recommendations here;

Unsolved Mysteries is back. New series on Netflix. I loved that show when it used to be in Sky One back in the day.

The Floor is Lava. Gameshow similar to wipeout where the floor is lava.

And the third one is an old one I’m only watching now. Parks and Recreation on Amazon prime. Great show short episodes really funny doesn’t get going until season 2 so if you do watch it keep with it until then. Season 1 is only 6 episodes anyway but it’s very funny.

• Advertisement

Started watching that Epstein docu-series on Netflix last night, hadn't really been following the story & only watched it due to the current media storm around Ghislaine Maxwell's arrest & was blown away by the scale of his crimes... we watched 2 of the 4 episodes & will be definitely watching the last 2 tonight, mad to think he got away with this for so long. Fascinating to watch if you can stomach wading through his abhorrent behaviour.

Started watching that Epstein docu-series on Netflix last night, hadn't really been following the story & only watched it due to the current media storm around Ghislaine Maxwell's arrest & was blown away by the scale of his crimes... we watched 2 of the 4 episodes & will be definitely watching the last 2 tonight, mad to think he got away with this for so long. Fascinating to watch if you can stomach wading through his abhorrent behaviour.

Does it cover his 'suicide' do you know?

Haven't gotten that far TBH.

it does!

it does!

Good to know. I don't have netflixs however would be interested to find it elsewhere. The end of his life is such a huge part of the story that would be a shame if they hadn't addressed it.

Good to know. I don't have netflixs however would be interested to find it elsewhere. The end of his life is such a huge part of the story that would be a shame if they hadn't addressed it.

Can see why the conspiracy theorists went into overdrive on that one.

Can see why the conspiracy theorists went into overdrive on that one.

Absolutely, from what I have heard and read, the whole thing doesn't add up at all!

I finally got around to watching Hamilton on Disney+ worth the wait.

Loughc wrote: »
    I finally got around to watching Hamilton on Disney+ worth the wait.

Good to hear. Have only heard good things about it and it top of our list when we next get a couple of free hours.

• Advertisement

Good to hear. Have only heard good things about it and it top of our list when we next get a couple of free hours.

It's 2 hours 40 minutes so leave it for when you have a good block of time to use up. Deffo worth it though, perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.

Advertisement