Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True lies blu ray

• 23-01-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Anyone have any information on this release, has been rumoured for years.

Information is very limited online though did read somehwere Eliza Dushku stated she's recorded something for the upcoming blu ray.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's the film's 20th anniversary this year, so I guess there's a good chance. It all depends on Cameron, though, who I suspect has been blocking it.

I'm more excited about The Abyss, though, which never even got an anamorphic DVD transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Is this 25th anniversary for abyss so maybe. Think true lies will be out this year just surprised there's no information yet. One of my favourite movies ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I met Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio years ago, but I thought the better of getting her to sign a copy of the special edition (video) of The Abyss. Just in case. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's the film's 20th anniversary this year, so I guess there's a good chance. It all depends on Cameron, though, who I suspect has been blocking it.

I'm more excited about The Abyss, though, which never even got an anamorphic DVD transfer.

Uuuuuuuuu. Yeah. The Abyss would be amazing on Blu-Ray.

As for True Lies? Yeah, Cameron has kind of distanced himself from it given this whole post 9/11 world blah blah. I'm sure it'll come out eventually for Blu-Ray but I can't imagine Cameron would be involved to any great degree with it. Would imagine it would just be a quick and nasty DVD transfer.

Uuuuuuuuu. Yeah. The Abyss would be amazing on Blu-Ray.

As for True Lies? Yeah, Cameron has kind of distanced himself from it given this whole post 9/11 world blah blah. I'm sure it'll come out eventually for Blu-Ray but I can't imagine Cameron would be involved to any great degree with it. Would imagine it would just be a quick and nasty DVD transfer.

Would it not be the exact opposite and he'd be heavily involved to ensure the best possible PQ and sound? If it does come out I'm expecting an awesome transfer, same with Abyss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

which would be a shame as I think True Lies is a very enjoyable popcorn flick. the first two acts of the film are awesome, Jamie Lee Curtis gives her best performance she gives the film it's heart and the scene stealing Bill Paxton is always a joy to watch. Arnold Schwarzenegger gives a fun performance as the Super Spy worried his wife is cheating on him as well as kicking ass. Plus the super sexy Tia Carrere as the villainous can't all be bad. I do think it goes a little downhill in the third act but nothing majorly bad. Not Cameron's best movie but still deserves a top grade blu ray release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

A great popcorn film and one of the first to do the extra 4th act properly if I remember right

The True Lies Blu-Ray has been in the work for awhile and Eliza Dushku has spoke about how she had been working on material for an upcoming release of True Lies. Cameron did take done time off recently to work on the Abyss and True Lies HD masters before diving into Avatar 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looper007 wrote: »
    which would be a shame as I think True Lies is a very enjoyable popcorn flick. the first two acts of the film are awesome, Jamie Lee Curtis gives her best performance she gives the film it's heart and the scene stealing Bill Paxton is always a joy to watch. Arnold Schwarzenegger gives a fun performance as the Super Spy worried his wife is cheating on him as well as kicking ass. Plus the super sexy Tia Carrere as the villainous can't all be bad. I do think it goes a little downhill in the third act but nothing majorly bad. Not Cameron's best movie but still deserves a top grade blu ray release.

True Lies is great fun, it was on the other night. The harrier jets on the bridge scene is still outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

If your prepared to hunt it down, the R6 China is the only known Anamorphic edition of the film, with a full bitrate DTS-ES soundtrack but only has the Special Edition version of the film and the text commentary as an extra.

Also, you might be interested to know that The Abyss soundtrack got a new two disc edition, though its limited to 3000 copies.

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous that there's never been an anamorphic transfer of The Abyss out here, it's awful watching it in full widescreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Would love to see True Lies on bluray, cracking film with some bloody good performances. Hopefully it comes to pass & we get a chance to see Jamie in all her HD glory :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that there's never been an anamorphic transfer of The Abyss out here, it's awful watching it in full widescreen.

It's one of those films that's almost tailor-made for the format; still a beautiful looking production to this day and a real testament to Cameron's sense of industrial design and scale. Hard to take him too seriously these days, but damnit if the man didn't know how to make an epic thriller.

Mind you, any blu-Ray of the Abyss would absolutely have to have extensive behind-the-scenes special features; not just for the production design either, as what I recall of the explosions and breakdowns that happened between the crew make for fascinating reading.

I'm really hoping both will be released this year. Would it be usual for studio not to announce them by now, even if they were planned for say September?

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's one of those films that's almost tailor-made for the format; still a beautiful looking production to this day and a real testament to Cameron's sense of industrial design and scale. Hard to take him too seriously these days, but damnit if the man didn't know how to make an epic thriller.

Mind you, any blu-Ray of the Abyss would absolutely have to have extensive behind-the-scenes special features; not just for the production design either, as what I recall of the explosions and breakdowns that happened between the crew make for fascinating reading.

Definitely, as a technical achievement it's a stunning film. Personally I thought it would have worked just as well as a straight thriller without all the alien stuff. The nuclear threat and the relationships between the characters are all solid enough without all the other aspects and the climax is kinda disappointing (not the descent into the abyss itself though that's probably the best part of the film)
    And it's got one of the best making of docs ever, some absolute horror stories from that film. Probably Ed Harris' best performance too, the drowning scene is incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Looper007 wrote: »
    Oh, hey, you're preaching to the choir. It's a great bit of popcorn fluff. (I did find the whole Jamie-Lee-Curtiss "seduction mission" a bit creepy. But I suppose you were supposed to) And even at the time I wasn't gone on the last few minutes. Just the whole Harrier thing when yer man jumps on it. But, other than that, it was great fun. (I especially loved the bit with the battery going on the camera. I still laugh at that when it's on tele. Or "Why do they call themselves that?" "Because it sounds really scary?")

Good to see that he has made time for it. When I said he was distancing himself from it it was just that he said he wouldn't make it these days and that there will never be a sequel as he couldn't take terrorism lightly. The usual.

As you said, Paxton, Carrare-never-looking-hotter, nukes, horse/motorbike chase. You don't even want to kill Tom Arnold......... much

After some googling i see there's still no news on this which is baffling.

I assume if it hasn't be announced by now it's unlikely to be released in 2014 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Would be good to see JLC's sexy strip tease in blu ray quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Would be good to see JLC's sexy strip tease in blu ray quality!

There is a d theatre copy of this out there that's worth watching. Think it was an attempt at HD on tape...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A week ago:
    Finally today, last night’s Terminator: 30th Anniversary screening at Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood (sponsored by the American Cinematheque and Fox Home Entertainment) would have been a great opportunity to ask director James Cameron when The Abyss and True Lies are finally going to be released on Blu-ray. As you all know full well by now, both films celebrate major anniversaries this year. Though Arnold Schwarzenegger was unable to attend the event due to illness, Cameron was on hand along with producer Gale Anne Hurd. A Q&A was held afterward moderated by Geoff Boucher from L.A. Times/Hero Complex. Short of actually being on hand myself (I couldn’t make it due to a schedule conflict), I did everything possible to ensure that Cameron was at least asked the question. Fortunately, he was. Unfortunately, no answer was forthcoming. Bits reader Jeremy W. (who was there at the screening) reports that during the Q&A, Cameron apparently said the first question Gale Anne Hurd asked him when they met earlier in the evening was “When is Abyss coming on BD?” In response, Cameron pointed the head of Fox Home Entertainment out in the crowd. And that was it. So it sounds as if the delay in releasing both titles sits on Fox alone. (Cameron seems to want us to think that at any rate: Fox isn’t commenting thus far.) Honestly, does anyone else think this is starting to get ridiculous? We’ll have more to say on this topic soon, rest assured.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101614_1115

I don’t believe for a second that Fox is responsible. It’s Cameron. And with him tied for the next decade making Avatar 2-5, I’d say the chances of either film (especially The Abyss) getting a BD release is slim to none.

• Advertisement

A week ago:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101614_1115

I don’t believe for a second that Fox is responsible. It’s Cameron. And with him tied for the next decade making Avatar 2-5, I’d say the chances of either film (especially The Abyss) getting a BD release is slim to none.

Thanks for the update, fvcks sake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Bah! I want The Abyss now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Balls anyway. The True Lies DVD never had any extras and I'd like a Charles de Lauzirika produced set.

The Abyss was one of the first DVDs I ever got, be great to see a blu-ray package. The DVD came out in 2001 like.

Good summary of where we are here:

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/features/true-lies-the-abyss-and-the-blu-ray-4k-problem/

Very frustrating - looks like we won't be seeing them anytime soon :mad:

Pretty selfish and incomprehensible move by Cameron - he managed to create time to promote Terminator dark fate and Alita battle angel...

Has anyone watched the 1080p version of both that are floating around? Are they legit HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Has anyone watched the 1080p version of both that are floating around? Are they legit HD?

Yeah I watched a version that I think was hd vhs or something? Certainly looked hd. Only watched recently again and the movie stands up really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Saw this thread pop up and decided to watch True Lies again and I had forgotten how good it is and it still hold up nearly 30 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Saw this thread pop up and decided to watch True Lies again and I had forgotten how good it is and it still hold up nearly 30 years later.
    It's really funny,
    d2d37c744f34c9a754afae048350528c4c866ff5.gifv
    has some great action,
    true-lies-laser-time-bridge-sequence.gif
    and no other director has ever coaxed such a fine performance out of Arnie. There are so many great uses of close up, e.g.
    TautChubbyAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif
    It is a little overlong, and doesn't pass muster on modern gender politics, but it's one of my favourite Schwarzenegger movies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I often thought of True Lies as Arnie's last really good film but looking through his IMDB I do have a soft spot for Eraser and End of Days* which followed in the couple of years after it while I haven't seen an awful lot of his work in recent years. I haven't watched it in allot of years so I must watch it with the young fella in the next couple of weeks.

* Actually, Escape Plan was perfectly watchable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

He's great in Escape Plan, though it's a smaller role. The movie itself is pretty good for what it is.

I think Sabotage is underrated.

Advertisement