Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leading to a personal friend and how to deal with currency fluctuation

Options
  • 24-05-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but finding myself in a pickle and wondered if someone can help me.

I lent a Friend in Northern Ireland X amount of money, now that she is paying me back and the Pound has fallen, I am finding myself in a situation where I will be loosing some money if she returns what I sent her. Is it reasonable to expect her to give me back what I lent in Euro ? talking about nearly a 500euro hit in my pocket otherwise ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Not sure if this is the right forum, but finding myself in a pickle and wondered if someone can help me.

I lent a Friend in Northern Ireland X amount of money, now that she is paying me back and the Pound has fallen, I am finding myself in a situation where I will be loosing some money if she returns what I sent her. Is it reasonable to expect her to give me back what I lent in Euro ? talking about nearly a 500euro hit in my pocket otherwise ?

There's a Personal Issues forum this might be better suited to.

On the question itself; while I do sympathise with your position this should really have been discussed when making the loan. It would seem a bit unfair to change the terms now. You could ask however, point out your situation and your friend may be willing to meet you halfway (or better).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your are taking the current exchange rate. Unless you need the Euro straight away, or you are convinced the exchange rate can only move against you, then you could hold on to the Sterling or part of it and wait for a better rate. The Euro was able to buy as little as 60 Pence and as much as 95 Pence at various times since it came in. Even looking back three years shows large fluctuations.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2553/euro-british-pound-exchange-rate-historical-chart

Another thing would be to keep an eye on Sterling and Euro exchange rates against other currencies like Japan and Australia. Maybe you could sell Sterling and buy Euro with one of those and get some value. I have no idea if that would be a runner, but there is no great reason to assume that Sterling and Euro will always fall or rise against every other currency at the same time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Did you lent her Euro or Pounds and how did you agree to handle exchange losses when you made the loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Did you lent her Euro or Pounds and how did you agree to handle exchange losses when you made the loan?

Is this really necessary? We get that you’re a financial genius that never made a mistake but can you not just be content with revelling in your own infallible greatness without trying to have a dig at others for not getting everything 100% correct, 100% of the time?

You can take a fair guess at the answers to your questions from the OP, so if you have nothing helpful to say, why bother saying anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Your are taking the current exchange rate. Unless you need the Euro straight away, or you are convinced the exchange rate can only move against you, then you could hold on to the Sterling or part of it and wait for a better rate. The Euro was able to buy as little as 60 Pence and as much as 95 Pence at various times since it came in.

Fair point but now he is speculating on foreign exchange on which he could lose even more. The OP may be risk averse.

OP in the first instance have a look at what rate you are getting. A revolut account, for example, will give a better rate than your bank (2 or 3 per cent in some cases). Given the sums you are talking about this might help by a couple of hundred euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Fair point but now he is speculating on foreign exchange on which he could lose even more. The OP may be risk averse.

OP in the first instance have a look at what rate you are getting. A revolut account, for example, will give a better rate than your bank (2 or 3 per cent in some cases). Given the sums you are talking about this might help by a couple of hundred euros.

If they don't need to convert to Euros for their immediate living costs, then as I said the only reason to move quickly is if they are convinced the rate will only keep going against them. That speculation could just as easily lose them the chance to gain a few hundred some time in the next twelve months. Nobody knows, but rarely a week goes by without some movement up and down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Is this really necessary? We get that you’re a financial genius that never made a mistake but can you not just be content with revelling in your own infallible greatness without trying to have a dig at others for not getting everything 100% correct, 100% of the time?

You can take a fair guess at the answers to your questions from the OP, so if you have nothing helpful to say, why bother saying anything.

Giving advice or making suggesting base on your guesses, is not very smart to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

So I sent her euro from my account directly to her bank account. When I lent it I told her I am giving/sending you X amount of euro as that is all that I have. She didn't even bother letting me know how much she got and the issue only arose when she sent me back the money and it was 500 euro short.

I even asked her do you remember how much you got, to which she said - I am not sure :eek:

Either way I did ask her in a nice way to pay me what I lent her, it was all of the little savings i had and can't be taking a hit of nearly 500 quid in just few months.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So I sent her euro from my account directly to her bank account. When I lent it I told her I am giving/sending you X amount of euro as that is all that I have. She didn't even bother letting me know how much she got and the issue only arose when she sent me back the money and it was 500 euro short.

I even asked her do you remember how much you got, to which she said - I am not sure :eek:

Either way I did ask her in a nice way to pay me what I lent her, it was all of the little savings i had and can't be taking a hit of nearly 500 quid in just few months.

If you sent her euro, I think it would be reasonable to receive the same amount of euro back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If the agreement was to send X amount of Euro then you are right in expecting the same amount of euro back.

If you had an agreement to send X amount of sterling then it would be a little more complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Send her the screenshot of transfer or photo of the statement.

That is the amount you gave so that's exactly what is to come back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

As you made a sacrifice in lending the money she should give it all back even if the 'markets' have turned against her. Show her the Euro amount and say 'that's what I need'. If she were much poorer than you I'd forgive it but as she isn't she has to return the euro value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Just one other thing Tom - no one is doing you a favour when they pay you back; unless what she is giving you right now is all she has right now she has to give you what you gave her.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Do you know how much she received. If you sent euro directly to another currency account without using transfer wise or such, the bank will have taken a big chunk of it, both ways.

Meeoow wrote: »
    Do you know how much she received. If you sent euro directly to another currency account without using transfer wise or such, the bank will have taken a big chunk of it, both ways.

The thing is, when I sent her the money I did send her a screenshot of how much I sent from my end, but she just let me know when she got it and not how much.

I did ask her recently if she knew how much she got, to which she said I am not sure.

Either way I did ask her to pay me back what I lent (in a nice way), it doesn't have to be now but when she can.

Thanks to all those who responded, I just wanted to get a consensus if it was a reasonable ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Completely reasonable. You shouldn't be out money helping someone out. She sounds cagey saying that she doesn't know how much she received.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's a reasonable ask bit it is a grey area. If you didn't clarify up front it is hard to insist.

In saying that, I wouldn't be lending again to a friend who doesn't seem to care that you lost a lot in trying to help them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I just came across this thread. Could we get an update?? It's an interesting lesson for everyone.

I don't understand why you need to know how much money she got.

It sounds like she knows exactly whats going on but doesn't want to take the hit herself or just selective ignorance.

As others were saying it would have been worth playing dumb as well and sending her a screenshot of the money in your account and saying "Mary, only x came into my account, did you make a mistake with the transfer?" + appropriate smiley face -> send

Advertisement