Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Members

• 23-05-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, any idea of how many new members your golf club has got due to covid 19. I know ours stopped counting at 100. Think it may be over 200.

Many were regular visitors and younger guys that no longer have access to football, GAA etc and now keen to keep active

Great for golf but questionable for our timesheet especially with current restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Hey guys, any idea of how many new members your golf club has got due to covid 19. I know ours stopped counting at 100. Think it may be over 200.

Many were regular visitors and younger guys that no longer have access to football, GAA etc and now keen to keep active

Great for golf but questionable for our timesheet especially with current restrictions

Wow, what club is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Elmgreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

DELETED

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Elmgreen

Am a member there too.

Timesheet rammed alright.

The four I have played with this week all did for what it is worth. There is a lot of people living within 5km of there in fairness

• Advertisement

Am a member there too.

Timesheet rammed alright.

Would be anyway as most members live close by and David was telling me that the capacity is 55% of normal

Add to that 8 weeks of no golf.

Only 9 more slots when next restrictions are in place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The four I have played with this week all did for what it is worth. There is a lot of people living within 5km of there in fairness

Played wednesday with a new member from well outside the 5k

Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

50 for us this week, that’s us full now

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Was actually thinking of joining Elmgreen as I'm a distance member elsewhere. Would it be next to impossible to get out? I'd like to play once on a day I'm off Sunday probably and go out at 6.30 pm for a few holes before sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Our club won't take new members till August. Not sure why, maybe due to the restricted tee time availability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Any club open for membership will get a boost over the next few weeks. We calculated that we covered 25% of our total loses for the closure yesterday alone. Our membership is getting a big boost. We also have an additional advantage in that our membership is due on March 1st every year. Some clubs whose annual subscription is due on January 1st may struggle to retain members who had not paid before the closure.
    Golf and Tennis will really benefit from being back earlier than other sports. People are actively looking for something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Our club had 50 new members by the time it reopened on Monday. Probably more since. It meant the timesheet filled up fast but its great to see the club getting a nice windfall after what will have been a lean couple of months. If it means i have to log on exactly when the timesheet goes live to get a spot thats fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Our club won't take new members till August. Not sure why, maybe due to the restricted tee time availability

I take it your club is thriving or at least has a pretty full membership book? If so it’s the right decision.

For any club that is struggling to make ends meet, this is a rare opportunity to swim with the tide. If they’re ignoring it to keep existing members happy, they’re signing their own foreclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I think it will be very difficult for member clubs to take in new members. Capacity is reduced by 45% so if your taken in new members what are you telling your loyal members that paid the subs during closure and now can’t get a tee time?

In our club every single member kept up payments during lockdown so I think you need to look after them first.

If any club can operate on 55% availability on timesheet with its current membership numbers, it probably isn’t viable club anyway. Remember also, some people are not breaking the 5km rule and over 70’s are cocooning so your not seeing all members out yet.

The clubs that do a lot of green fees and societies should have some capacity but they will still try to honor societies from next month onwards.

I think subs will go up next year in a lot of places, higher income from less will be the model instead of low and high numbers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

At what stage do clubs decide that members who have not signed up for the year or have cancelled standing orders are no longer club members?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dunno if its related to an influx of new members or just a high demand, but our course just went to a max of 2 rounds per week from June 1st. Pretty pissed at that tbh.

Kiith wrote: »
    Dunno if its related to an influx of new members or just a high demand, but our course just went to a max of 2 rounds per week from June 1st. Pretty pissed at that tbh.

That’s exactly the issue, then I would only want to paid 2/7 of my sub in that case. I showed loyalty to the club and I expect them to do the same.

We’ve no restrictions like that as I know members would just leave next year.

At what stage do clubs decide that members who have not signed up for the year or have cancelled standing orders are no longer club members?

Usually clubs have a payment due date, we are 28th February, we remove people around mid March after follow up phone calls to confirm they are leaving and we usually try to do a exit interview on the phone.

If someone payments doesn’t go through, they get a phone call the next day and payment arranged or removed or new payment plan agreed. Not every club as office staff so smaller clubs ran by members might be less efficient.

It’s not fair to members who do pay on time to allow others not to pay. Same rule for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ismat

Are you a members or commercial club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I asked the question in pro shop today before I went out as I didn't recognise a lot of names on the timesheet and as it stands we have taken in 230 new members but may have lost a few..A lot are from City West but quite a few are newbies to golf as I spoke to a few new members in carpark before and after my round

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That seems like an insane amount of new members. Surely your time sheet will be absolutely rammed every single day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

20 in our small club (500 members)

That seems like an insane amount of new members. Surely your time sheet will be absolutely rammed every single day?

Working well so far, wait till comps start and we'll see how it's going but atm they say there is about 850 members, We have 7 Day 5 Day and Flexi so weekend tee times should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

We took in 60 new members over the last week over twice that since year start.
    Club won't stop anyone with cash and the timesheet fills up daily with 10 or 15 mins.
    First out 7 am last out 8 pm.
    Hope this isn't another race to the bottom like many other industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Usually clubs have a payment due date, we are 28th February, we remove people around mid March after follow up phone calls to confirm they are leaving and we usually try to do a exit interview on the phone.

If someone payments doesn’t go through, they get a phone call the next day and payment arranged or removed or new payment plan agreed. Not every club as office staff so smaller clubs ran by members might be less efficient.

It’s not fair to members who do pay on time to allow others not to pay. Same rule for everyone.

If you don’t pay your sub are you not automatically deactivated on the tee sheet so you can’t book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Anyone know if your clubs are offering deals or are new members paying full rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have been hearing that most clubs it's not much of a discount from full rates.

Its funny with all the doom and gloom about falling membership numbers to we have too many members even when we get back to full tee times.

Interested to get peoples opinions on the 14 minutes tee times and will clubs start to change from the GUI recommendation for the next phase to accommodate more members and golfers.

mike12 wrote: »
    Have been hearing that most clubs it's not much of a discount from full rates.

Its funny with all the doom and gloom about falling membership numbers to we have too many members even when we get back to full tee times.

Interested to get peoples opinions on the 14 minutes tee times and will clubs start to change from the GUI recommendation for the next phase to accommodate more members and golfers.

Just on the 14 min tee time gaps, it would be an idea to keep it that way going forward if your club does not have a huge membership as play is much quicker. This week Ive twice got around in 3 balls in 3hr 10 and the longest round was 3hr 25..That's heaven compared to the log jams you get in the normal times..Our club wouldn't be able to accommodate such a move but I'm sure there are other clubs who could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Just on the 14 min tee time gaps, it would be an idea to keep it that way going forward if your club does not have a huge membership as play is much quicker. This week Ive twice got around in 3 balls in 3hr 10 and the longest round was 3hr 25..That's heaven compared to the log jams you get in the normal times..Our club wouldn't be able to accommodate such a move but I'm sure there are other clubs who could.

Seems to be flying around with the 14 minute gap alright. Never a hold up.
    30 new members I hear in our small club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Played 6 times this week, longest round was 3.15 quickest was 2.58 which is super.

Just think when we go to 10KM or clubs can take green fees it's just going to get worse for members trying to get tee times.

We are blessed with 2 18 hole courses so looks like we won't really be impacted, but sure how I would take being told I could only play twice a week after missing out for so long.

Advertisement