Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've never played CoD...

• 03-01-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭

...could I just jump in and start with the new Modern Warfare?

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It will be some experience if you've truly never played one before. Try a less manic game mode at the outset maybe hardpoint on the shipment map. Wean yourself in gradually.

The single player is worth the admission alone imo but it's an online fps at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Try a less manic game mode at the outset maybe hardpoint on the shipment map.

Less manic, and you pick Shipment?! :pac:

Yes OP, jump on in. No need to have played the previous games, but there will be a lot of people with a higher skill level, or using the OP guns and you will probably get destroyed and annoyed. Stick with it, and it will come together itself eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It will be some experience if you've truly never played one before.

I'm not really a 'proper' gamer. In saying that, I've been playing games since the late 80s. Amstrad 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, SNES, the first Playstation, Nintendo Wii and finally the XBoxOneS. The last game I bought was Red Dead Redemption 2. Before that it was Fallout 4 and before that it was GTA5. I'm not very prolific! I reckon I'd probably enjoy a CoD game but I'm not sure it's worth spending fifty odd quid to do so...

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Is it assumed that the OP is in it purely for multiplayer?

I have no clue!

COD remastered would give you a decent campaign at a cheaper price and it would give you a taste of what it's about. If you want to play the multiplayer I'd go for the more recent one, personally,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It's up to yourself really, but, if you're on PS4/Xbox One/PC, I personally recommend starting with Modern Warfare Remastered.

PlayStation Store

Xbox Store

Steam Store

If you're on PS4, obviously Modern Warfare 2 Remastered has just came out today, though without multiplayer, so if you're only in it for the single player, you have those two. A lot of people have their favourites, so it'll depend what you're looking for.

But the Modern Warfare series is pretty much beloved by all. You can't go wrong with those.

If the setting is something you'd want to look at, the COD series covers a lot of different eras, both real world and totally fictional;

-- World War 2 --
    Call of Duty
    Call of Duty 2
    Call of Duty 3
    Call of Duty World at War
    Call of Duty WWII

-- Present Day --
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (also Modern Warfare Remastered)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (also Modern Warfare 2 Remastered)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Call of Duty: Ghosts

-- Cold War/Vietnam --
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (sequel to World at War)

-- Futuristic --
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Online Only)
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

If you are in it for the multiplayer, COD MWR is still a good pick in my books. But nearly everyone is playing the newest iteration, Modern Warfare (soft reboot) which also has a Battle Royale mode that you can download separately, free of charge.

It all depends on what system you own. If you own an Xbox 360/PS3, you have Call of Duty 1 through to Black Ops 3 to choose from

If you have an Xbox One/PS4, you have Black Ops 3 through to Modern Warfare 2019 to choose from, as well as MW2 Remastered.

If you have a PC, you're spoilt for choice, as they're all there.

I know I look like I'm waffling on, but if I was in your boots, I'd want someone to lay it all out in front of me so I don't have to go Googling everything seperately.

Then again, you could just Google "top 10 COD games" and make your decision based on that
    I could have potentially wasted my time here after saying that :pac::pac::pac:

In any case, there ya go. I'm sure others will recommend their favourites.

It's up to yourself really, but, if you're on PS4/Xbox One/PC, I personally recommend starting with Modern Warfare Remastered.

PlayStation Store

Xbox Store

Steam Store

If you're on PS4, obviously Modern Warfare 2 Remastered has just came out today, though without multiplayer, so if you're only in it for the single player, you have those two. A lot of people have their favourites, so it'll depend what you're looking for.

But the Modern Warfare series is pretty much beloved by all. You can't go wrong with those.

If the setting is something you'd want to look at, the COD series covers a lot of different eras, both real world and totally fictional;

-- World War 2 --
    Call of Duty
    Call of Duty 2
    Call of Duty 3
    Call of Duty World at War
    Call of Duty WWII

-- Present Day --
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (also Modern Warfare Remastered)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (also Modern Warfare 2 Remastered)

-- Cold War/Vietnam --
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (sequel to World at War)

-- Futuristic --
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Online Only)
    Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

If you are in it for the multiplayer, COD MWR is still a good pick in my books. But nearly everyone is playing the newest iteration, Modern Warfare (soft reboot) which also has a Battle Royale mode that you can download separately, free of charge.

It all depends on what system you own. If you own an Xbox 360/PS3, you have Call of Duty 1 through to Black Ops 3 to choose from

If you have an Xbox One/PS4, you have Black Ops 3 through to Modern Warfare 2019 to choose from, as well as MW2 Remastered.

If you have a PC, you're spoilt for choice, as they're all there.

I know I look like I'm waffling on, but if I was in your boots, I'd want someone to lay it all out in front of me so I don't have to go Googling everything seperately.

Then again, you could just Google "top 10 COD games" and make your decision based on that
    I could have potentially wasted my time here after saying that :pac::pac::pac:

Thank you! There's a lot more choice than I realised! It's an XBoxOne.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Thank you! There's a lot more choice than I realised! It's an XBoxOne.

If you have an Xbox One, then you not only have those which released for the system, but you also have a lot of the Xbox 360 games to pick as well, since they're backwards compatible;

Xbox 360 Games Compatible with Xbox One;
    Call of Duty 2
    Call of Duty 3
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Call of Duty: Black Ops
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Call of Duty: World at War

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Personally what I love about COD is multiplayer and Zombies which is why I've bought some cod season passes. single player for me is a distant 3rd as its not what cod does best. In saying that though I agree that MW series have the best single player campaigns.

I liked the MW campaigns the best, I have to say Blops 1 was very good. Varkuda was a great level and nothing beats chugging down a river in Vietnam listening to sympathy for the devil, like nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've never played COD either having traditionally been a BF player, but BFV sucked and the lads I usually play with having been having great fun with Warzone (I haven't had a chance to join yet as I've been away from my gaming PC since March :( )

I definitely prefer the more modern settings and weaponry though. WW2 or WW1 doesn't hold the same appeal for me although I loved BF1942 back in the day

Downloaded Warzone. I haven't had a chance to play yet though as I can't prise the controller off the young fella :lol:

Warzone is excellent! I'm a bit rubbish at it so far though. I've never managed to get more than one kill in a game. My highest finish position was 30th.

Warzone is excellent! I'm a bit rubbish at it so far though. I've never managed to get more than one kill in a game. My highest finish position was 30th.

I'm a huge shíte-bag in Warzone, all I ever did was hide in a tall building. My best position was 8th with only about 4 kills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was using ARs a lot then I swapped to a silenced mp5 with low recoil. Came 3rd first try and then won a solo match on the next go. Haven't really played since. I went out on a high but I feel the SMG really helped.

It's probably my fave BR game but I've a love hate with the genre. In warzones favour is the chance to get back involved with the gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I havent bought the game. Just playing Warzone for free. I'm enjoying it a lot. Ive bought a few COD games and mainly played online. Is there many people playing both? I love the vastness of Warzone.

In warzones favour is the chance to get back involved with the gulag.

That's not an option in a one player game AFAIK. The more money you have collected, the more chances you have to drop back in...I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How long does it take in Modern Warfare to complete the campaign?

Not really into online gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The Nal wrote: »
    How long does it take in Modern Warfare to complete the campaign?

Not really into online gaming

5 hours approx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If people here are playing I'd like to add some players as friends ingame, as the majority of people I'm auto squaded with are not English speaking.

• Advertisement

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    If people here are playing I'd like to add some players as friends ingame, as the majority of people I'm auto squaded with are not English speaking.

I actually prefer the solo version.

The game has been updated very recently. In the previous solo version, once you were killed you respawned and dropped back in close to where you were killed depending on the amount of money you had found in game. With the update, you go to the Gulag...I'm sh1te at that!

With the update, you go to the Gulag...I'm sh1te at that!

REALLY sh1te! I don't know how many games I played last night but I lost almost every Gulag battle :(

my current strat is to pre-aim at one of the corners and hold down the trigger the second I see something - it's ok successful, the guns kill so quick

my current strat is to pre-aim at one of the corners and hold down the trigger the second I see something - it's ok successful, the guns kill so quick

I'll try that. It's not possible at the moment though. Our internet has gone to sh1te. I think it's due to the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Started playing myself in the last week, man it's hard. Getting slaughtered. Played with a mate if mine today and was good craic. Happy to add any friends

I've a few top 10 finishes under my belt now but I've yet to beat two kills in a game. Poor! Love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Yeh really finding it hard to get kills, need to practice more I think. Defo easier when you get teamed with a good player(s) that know what they are doing!!

I've a few top 10 finishes under my belt now but I've yet to beat two kills in a game. Poor! Love it though.

Make that four kills and a 5th place finish :)

Advertisement