Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai visit golf course

Options
  • 21-05-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭

I'm not trying to open up the 5k debate again, that's been done to death but It seems that some garda policing of golf clubs took place,

"On Monday gardaí visited the golf course to check on the registration plates of some of the players to see where they have come from".

Interesting that they didn't have a checkpoint outside or on approach roads but went into the club Cark Park to check reg plates.
    One or two distance members (over 40k) were taking off the brs timesheet.

Was this a one off or did any other clubs get a visit?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/golf-club-told-to-cancel-tee-times-for-members-breaching-5km-restriction-1.4257337?mode=amp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well it wasn't Stackstown for sure. ;)

Other than that I haven't heard much about checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

We had but they were just playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Checking reg plates seems like an utterly useless measure. I drove an Offaly reg car for years and lived in Dublin the entire time. Have they never heard of used cars???

Nonsense carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Checking reg plates seems like an utterly useless measure. I drove an Offaly reg car for years and lived in Dublin the entire time. Have they never heard of used cars???

Nonsense carry on.

They have an App, which gives them the owners details from the reg number, so there not specifically checking plates from outside the county

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There's a post that aged well. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

Did the have a warrant to enter the club?

...or were they invited?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

blackbox wrote: »

I've know idea. It didn't say anything about a warrant in the article.

Do the need a warrant to drive into a golf course?
    I'm sure they'll say they're carrying out they're duties but not searching the place..

But I've no idea which or whether

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

blackbox wrote: »

Do they need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Now now, come on now. We can't have Guards doing actual police work, such as doing something about the feral gang of youths coming out of Darndale into Portmarnock. Much safer and easier to check up on middle class people to see if they travelled slightly more than 5km to get where they're going. The Guards need to feel safe, and they need to tick a few boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its a pity they did not check out some of the beeches in Dublin yesterday. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Now now, come on now. We can't have Guards doing actual police work, such as doing something about the feral gang of youths coming out of Darndale into Portmarnock. Much safer and easier to check up on middle class people to see if they travelled slightly more than 5km to get where they're going. The Guards need to feel safe, and they need to tick a few boxes.

Guards shouldn't target middle class law breakers. Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Guards shouldn't target middle class law breakers. Got it.

I would put crimes on a hierarchy of importance, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Glebee wrote: »
    Its a pity they did not check out some of the beeches in Dublin yesterday. :eek:
    They were at the 40 foot anyway. The whataboutery on here is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

A committee member should have done a citizens arrest on the Gardaí for trespassing. Have all committees been armed with pepper spray and tasers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I would put crimes on a hierarchy of importance, absolutely.

Guards getting hassle for enforcing law

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Double barrels at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

If license premises they don’t need a warrant or permission.

I’ve heard this happen to two clubs but I reckon you’ll find it’s a personal issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So guards from Cahir should come to Portmarnock? Or set up roadblocks to prevent people leaving Darndale? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Guards getting hassle for enforcing law

Guards getting hassle for hitting the easy targets.
    Business as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is somebody attacking the trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Dial Hard wrote: »

Nonsense carry on.

Wow criminal mastermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tibia

Maybe that's a job for Special Branch ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

d15ude wrote: »
    Guards getting hassle for hitting the easy targets.
    Business as usual...

For some people catching Covid-19 would be fatal. Having the Guards do anything to prevent the spread of a highly contagious, fatal disease is not hitting the easy targets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement