Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - are we dreaming?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

davidblake wrote: »
    Just bought a 3 bed house in Clare. We will need to add an extension with a bedroom downstairs but was thinking of a 2 story extension with a laundry upstairs. Does anyone have an idea of roughly what this would cost?

The house is a 3 bed semi detached and we woulld have room at the side to do it

David
    some idea of what size you want to build would be helpful,

what grade of materials/quality,

amount for glazing,

size of connection ope to existing

Etc

Why not read around boards.ie

Have you read this thread? There are plenty of costs given by others

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chrisngo

Would appreciate some advice. We are planning on making an offer to a 2 storey (9 x 5m) old stone built house in Galway.

We know that we'll need to extend out to the rear but need some guidance on which is a cheaper option:

(a) take off the entire 1st floor and extend the rear into a 9 x 10m bungalow

(b) take down the entire back wall (ground floor and top floor), convert the 1st floor wall into glazing (south facing) and extend the ground floor by 9 x 4m with glazing or

(c) Remove the back wall of the ground floor for an open plan, extend the ground floor by 9 x 4, and just make larger window openings for 1st floor

I was told by my last contractor who did the external insulation that it would be easier to tear down the entire old stone built house than to make a 6 larger window openings so we got stuck with petite country windows. I believed their word because it took their plumber 4 days to get a 6" hole through the wall for running the piping into a lean-to shed because they had to untangle 3sqft areas of stones to get the 6" hole. However, I was later told by someone in casual conversation that there are special cutters that can be used to cut stone walls and that we could have had larger windows with very little effort. So I m at a bit of a loss.

FYI, the house is in need of a total refurbishment roof down so it wouldnt make a difference if we had to relay a new roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Just bought a 3 bed semi with a good 5m free space to the side and decent garden at the rear. Whole idea was to extension to the side for downstairs bedroom, and extend at the rear for utility and large kitchen/dining. About 54 sqm. I was hoping to get this done and finished for about 80k. But I've totally underestimated the renovation on the existing house. I've met with an architect today and he is saying about 130k for whole thing. I'm a bit depressed after speaking to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Just bought a 3 bed semi with a good 5m free space to the side and decent garden at the rear. Whole idea was to extension to the side for downstairs bedroom, and extend at the rear for utility and large kitchen/dining. About 54 sqm. I was hoping to get this done and finished for about 80k. But I've totally underestimated the renovation on the existing house. I've met with an architect today and he is saying about 130k for whole thing. I'm a bit depressed after speaking to him.

What county was this? I am wondering is there huge variance by county. I am only just starting to look into an extension. I found my initial two discussions with architects tough. Very wooly on costs and hard to understand what's all in cost. I understand it's difficult as people will have different levels of finishes and furnishings but would be nice to know approx. this is what you need.

130k for 54sqm scares me but I was told 100k for 60sqm and then told maybe allow for 150k after fees, furnishings, fittings and existing house works etc. In fairness it was finger in air stuff but ball park with your figures.

Another for 80sqm said c. 200k to 250k!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

What county was this? I am wondering is there huge variance by county. I am only just starting to look into an extension. I found my initial two discussions with architects tough. Very wooly on costs and hard to understand what's all in cost. I understand it's difficult as people will have different levels of finishes and furnishings but would be nice to know approx. this is what you need.

130k for 54sqm scares me but I was told 100k for 60sqm and then told maybe allow for 150k after fees, furnishings, fittings and existing house works etc. In fairness it was finger in air stuff but ball park with your figures.

Another for 80sqm said c. 200k to 250k!

I’m in Kerry. I was the same as yourself too. Never quite sure what is actually included in the price too. Kitchen? Cupboards, flooring, fees etc. Bit of a mine field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You can thank your government for this!!

Where abouts in dublin are you. Would you not consider trying to find a builder or tradesmen out of the county or even out west that would take it on for less than the builders in dub would charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 James1888

Eh try 50k, 20k for that size extension that's about 120 m2 your dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2019 build.

40m2

Good access.

Extend existing 5m wide kitchen straight back 8m.
    Pull out whole 5m length.
    No internal walls
    Vaulted ceiling
    Standard hip roof
    Underfloor heating
    Lots of windows. Say for now approx 2/3 the new walls by 2m high, straight up to soffit.

Price to builders finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aineo

Hello, hoping for some help. We would like to do a small job on a Dublin mid terrace. Convert bedroom upstairs to bathroom (No current upstairs bathroom), extension 12ft x 25 ft downstairs only. Also new kitchen and reworking of existing rooms at back of house. We have a very limited budget so wondering what might the cost might be? Many thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

aineo wrote: »
    Hello, hoping for some help. We would like to do a small job on a Dublin mid terrace. Convert bedroom upstairs to bathroom (No current upstairs bathroom), extension 12ft x 25 ft downstairs only. Also new kitchen and reworking of existing rooms at back of house. We have a very limited budget so wondering what might the cost might be? Many thanks

50k ish
    Depending on spec and what’s on site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pricing request..

2 storey extension.
    no access, so would need to go through converted garage, assume this is a demolish and rebuild.

Back garden drops off about 5-6 feed from back door, so would expect extension would be finishing at lowest point. Would actually like a step down type extension and have higher ceilings.
    Sewer pipe goes behind house, under where we'd extend, any ideas what the process would be?

Would hope extension would be circa 100 sqm, am i looking at €200K :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭touchwood

Folks, can anyone give a rough cost, 36sqm extension to rear of terraced house, incl putting a small wc in also. In North wicklow. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

This is possibly the most idiotic thread I've ever seen.

People asking for building quotes based on vague text.

Nonsense.

Even more odd is random posters giving prices! Genuine rofl.

More power to you all if this is how you like to spend your time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

riemann wrote: »
    This is possibly the most idiotic thread I've ever seen.

People asking for building quotes based on vague text.

Nonsense.

Even more odd is random posters giving prices! Genuine rofl.

More power to you all if this is how you like to spend your time.

Your comment is not helpful, perhaps try the after hours forum in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What is the current ball park figure per m2 for a single story extension in Dublin? Looking at a 95m2 house at the moment, perfect location, and happy with the upstairs, but would like to extend the kitchen/dining room downstairs into the back garden. It looks like there are other houses in the estate which have done it already

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What is the current ball park figure per m2 for a single story extension in Dublin? Looking at a 95m2 house at the moment, perfect location, and happy with the upstairs, but would like to extend the kitchen/dining room downstairs into the back garden. It looks like there are other houses in the estate which have done it already

Budget 2k as a rough idea depending on spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brenman

Another Million Dollar Question!

I would like to get your well-educated estimate for the following extension. I would then have it designed, drawn and costed and then canvass builders who would be willing to tender, once the estimated price is within my budget/expectation.

General:
    House is a Linked detached house with garage and utility linking house to next one. Access to rear through this converted garage which now has a sliding patio door – straight run. No access for mechanical diggers/dumpers unless there are micro-diggers that will pass through a standard internal door. No storm water or sewers along the rear of the house that need to be moved or re-routed. All drains/sewers run under the side in the linked portion of the house. Level garden at rear. Area where extension will go is currently 3 ft (W) of concrete garden path, plus 3ft (W) of patio slabs plus grassed lawn.

Required.
    Single storey kitchen extension. Area – Approx 20 Sq M. joined to house to create one large space. No internal wall removal. Existing room is already one long kitchen/dining/sitting. Removal of rear house wall at ground level currently containing two windows. Width of opening approx 14ft. One continuous opening desired. No arches where old window were etc apart from RSJ. (I would like the RSJ not to be visible – but I understand that this is potentially a large cost to interfere with the first floor so a boxed off one is fine). Level floor to match the existing floor level.

As the house is North Facing, and overlooked there will be no wall of glass at the rear. Two double-glazed windows on new external wall (Approx 110-120mm wide), 2 velux OR 1 large roof- light in the roof, and approx. 8 – 10 ft of double-glazed glass doors on one sidewall of the extension (Bi-Fold).

Plumbing and electrical: Mains supply and drain for new sink unit and 6 double sockets. Lighting for 12 recessed kitchen spots and one central pendant type.

Construction method Traditional Block OR Timber Frame. End result must be signed off to comply with the current regulations by an Engineer.

Roof Type – Flat. Open to various types such as Fiberglass or VIEO as long as it's durable and long-lasting.

Cladding – Timer clad – Cedar or similar. Would Reduce to pebble dash to match existing house if required to save costs.

What to include in estimate – All Construction costs to painted finish inside and all rubble/rubbish removal.

What not to include – Flooring, kitchen units, landscaping, external patio/paving works etc.

I’ve tried to give as much info as possible without boring the pants off you. Thanks if you even got this far! All comments appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm in Dublin getting a small 20m2 straightforward enough extension built to a very high standard and I'm paying about €2,900 per sq m.

I had cheaper quotes down to €2,700 per sq m. I probably could have gone cheaper but wanted a very high spec - for example the RSJ won't be visible it's being built into the 1st floor so this costs more etc.

When choosing builder I was going with quality and personality so I've no doubt I could get it done cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

Has anyone here bought a house with the specific plan of renovating & extending immediately?

Looking at options including:
    1: Buy site + build. Likely to take some time with planning.
    2: Buy a 1970s-1990s type bungalow/dormer, of approx 150 m2; renovate (bring up BER from F or G to B1/A3) & extend by ~37m2. No planning permission needed but cost to renovate likely expensive on top of expensive house.
    3: Buy older/smaller house of approx 50-70m2; renovate & extend by 120-130m2.

Given people's experience here, am i mad to think that it’s likely to be more economical to buy a smaller wreck of a house that needs everything done, than a more expensive house that’s livable but not to the standard we’d want (so would need a decent outlay)?

And do people know if planning for an extension (in the case below to take floor space to 3x the original size) take as long as for a new house anyway?

Cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Applications for Major Extensions can take just as long, if not longer, to go through the planning process compared to a house on a green field site.

At least with a new house the requirements and policies are already well known... Either the deign, engineering and 'local need' complies or it doesn't. Any decent experienced local planning agent should be able to tell from the outset for the application will go

Major extensions are different. The design is key here, and a lot more difficult than a new house from scratch. The criteria tends to be to keep the form and presence of the original building whilst adding on the extension in an attached but separate means. Ridge lines need to be kept separate and the mass of the extension shouldn't over power the original.

In essence it takes a lot more work to properly design a major extension that if you are starting from scratch..

Plus then you have the other engineering issues such as are existing sight lines sufficient? Does the existing entrance and boundaries need to be augmented? It would be highly that the existing septic tank system couldn't take the proposed load so that would need to be upgraded to perhaps a treatment system , with additional new percolation area. Is there enough space on site for this?

Green field sites are much easier from a planning point of view... And some clients can't understand why professional fees for major extensions are often higher than if it were a new application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dazed2020

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Applications for Major Extensions can take just as long, if not longer, to go through the planning process compared to a house on a green field site.

At least with a new house the requirements and policies are already well known... Either the deign, engineering and 'local need' complies or it doesn't. Any decent experienced local planning agent should be able to tell from the outset for the application will go

Major extensions are different. The design is key here, and a lot more difficult than a new house from scratch. The criteria tends to be to keep the form and presence of the original building whilst adding on the extension in an attached but separate means. Ridge lines need to be kept separate and the mass of the extension shouldn't over power the original.

In essence it takes a lot more work to properly design a major extension that if you are starting from scratch..

Plus then you have the other engineering issues such as are existing sight lines sufficient? Does the existing entrance and boundaries need to be augmented? It would be highly that the existing septic tank system couldn't take the proposed load so that would need to be upgraded to perhaps a treatment system , with additional new percolation area. Is there enough space on site for this?

Green field sites are much easier from a planning point of view... And some clients can't understand why professional fees for major extensions are often higher than if it were a new application

That's really helpful & just the type of response I was looking for.
    I plan to do a lot more work around my options, talk to agents/architects etc but want to come from a reasonable knowledge base.
    Will try to keep updated here if I do make any progress on design, costs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

Got a price pack from -snip- with a quote of around 6000 euro for initial stage, and only after I get that they will provide quote on how much the extension would cost.

Bit concerned I would spend 6k and end up with quote which is too high for me to afford, so really just ending up with fancy drawings worth 6k.

Is this normal ?

Post edited to remove company name, please read forum charter, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

inyourp wrote: »
    Got a price pack from -snip- with a quote of around 6000 euro for initial stage, and only after I get that they will provide quote on how much the extension would cost.

Bit concerned I would spend 6k and end up with quote which is too high for me to afford, so really just ending up with fancy drawings worth 6k.

Is this normal ?

No

Unless by "Initial Stage" you're getting some specific works done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

Is this normal ?

No

Unless by "Initial Stage" you're getting some specific works done?

Not really, I am just looking for a quote, which I know could change based on proper calculations so only looking for a rough estimate, but I would expect that to be done for me for free before I proceed.

So I'll avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,914 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious, have you consider a metal frame timber cladded extension. I did one about 10 years ago. It turned out fabulous. Basically built on a solid cement foundation, Timber framed, fully insulated and treated timber cladding. Pitched roof etc. Size roughly 23 feet x 18ft. Total cost 13k, evening allowing for inflation a fraction of the cost of block. I also live in the slieve bloom mountains so structure had to be durable. I'll try attach pic. The price also included solid teak windows, full length and door. But I know these would be crazy price now

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is this normal ?

Post edited to remove company name, please read forum charter, thanks.

any company who requires you to spend €6000 before you know if you can afford them to do the job or not... is running a very dubious business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

I realise it's very much ball park. Figures but what would the estimated cost be per sqm in Galway for a ground floor extension
    And does it get more expensive the more glass you have?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I realise it's very much ball park. Figures but what would the estimated cost be per sqm in Galway for a ground floor extension
    And does it get more expensive the more glass you have?
    Thanks

In south dublin im paying €3,000 per sq m for very high spec ground floor extension.

So in Galway assume anywhere between €2,000 and €3,000.

I assume glass is more expensive than wall, especially if you want a low uvalue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 City Eagle

When people give a price per square meter, does that include VAT? Is it a builders finish (before painting and tiling)?

My experience:

- We are planning an extension and have drawings prepared. The QS for a firm has quoted us a price of €136k.
    - The builder is an "all in builder" They'll do everything, right down to painting.
    - The price noted above is for everything before you put your kitchen and finishes in. It includes windows and doors. It doesn't include engineer.
    - The extension area is 30 sq m.
    - There is a small amount of internal renovation. The renovation area is about 46 sq m. The renovation is not complex.
    - There aren't any real complications about the site or access.

The price is €4, 500 based off the 30 sq m extension (136 / 30). With some renovation.

I was amazed by the price. We needs to add about another 15 for kitchen 2 for utility 6 for appliances 5 for outside and so on .....

Does it sound like a reasonable price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

We built 38sqm ground floor extension full finish living hall, in 2017.
    Block build and 3 velux windows. 1000e per sqm. It also includes coc from engineer. Very happy. The builder was an experienced man of Romanian origin.
    We viewed several of his completed extension projects, before signing him up for the job.

Advertisement