Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Options
  • 02-03-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hello all,

To give a bit of background on myself for some context - I am a 39 year old guy, healthy and relatively fit for my age. I graduated from college with a Bachelors degree in Business in 2004. From then up until April of last year I have being working broadly in Fund Administration (open office environment). Absolutely nothing wrong with the job but the role was changing considerably for me over my last couple of years in the job. Moving very much away from finance and moving to a much more techy type function - working ever more so with developers and programmers attempting to automate processes. I was getting very stressed also due to this and due in part to lack of management visibility and also because my role was changing so much week to week and to an extent only finding out after. Probably a fine job with good room for progression for the right person but just not for me.

Something I had being thinking with a while was moving into the area of Financial Advisor. I started my QFA course and made the move in April of last year. To be fair it was a good deal different to what I expected. At the start it was very much selling life assurance, mortgage protection and critical illness by telesales and over the last couple of months I am out on the road meeting Clients much more so and also working on pensions which there is a bit more meat to.
    I do like the job and it does give a good buzz if somebody is appreciate of good advice you give and you make a sale. However, end of the day its very much about being a good salesperson rather than giving good advice, which an excellent salesperson I am not in fairness. Some of the conniving that goes on in the industry is spectacular. My problem is I'm possibly too honest and it is at times tough to give good advice on the phone when people seem to only have an attention span of 5 seconds and not much better at times in person. The job is very much commission based with a really small salary and to be honest I am struggling to make an anyway decent living at it and am now looking for other options. In a sense I am somewhat disgruntled with the whole industry and open to considering something new entirely.

I have in the past considered trades but at the same time have never delved too much into it. I'm strongly considering putting my name in the running for the ESB Apprenticeship program and would like some constructive guidance please.

I do like working outdoors and by no means afraid of a more physically demanding type job. I would have a pretty keen interest in DIY too and to see the results of my good work in that sense (if that is of any relevance).
    The main thing I am conscious of is would I be viewed by the hirers as too old to embark on an apprenticeship?
    Would anyone know the paygrades as you commence and through till end of the program when you have your qualification? I am lucky in that I am not paying a mortgage or rent, have fairly good savings and no other big financial commitments.

Any constructive guidance would be much appreciated here and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Larryduff2018

My opinion nothing ventured nothing gained. Go for it. There's aptitude tests involved and closing date is March 13th. Pay rates are around roughly €255 per week to €600+ in year 4. Never too old. You'll get more info in their brochure on there website. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Metal man 40

Hi Steve. I’m in the same boat as you. I’m 40,
    In a pharmaceutical company but only going through the motions not feeling fulfilled career wise. I’m married, no kids and my wife has a good job. She’s very supportive and feels that it could be the best thing for me. I think you should go for it. I know at our age it can be a bit scary but we’re only half way through our working age. Look, there’s no harm going through the application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Started last september with them at 29, 30 now. Prob 10 apprentices over 30 this year out of 80 odd overall. Most fellas/girls would be 18 starting though so its an experience being back with the young fellas. Money is shocking as with all apprenticeships so just something to consider if you have mortgages or loans. You'll spend 12 weeks in first years in portlaoise in the esb training centre so can be a hassle if youre from the west. No guarantee of a job at the end of the apprenticeship should be noted too.

Good company though, all the gear, training etc. The work is interesting for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

I'm going to apply this year, I'm 29 but turning 30 in april. I'm in a decent enough job at the minute working for an American company making medical devices. Current job is fine money is decent but feel I'm capable of a lot more and tbh dont have much job satisfaction where I'm at and dont find my job very mentally challenging.

I've done the career services course last week to try get a head start with the aptitude tests as I know they are crucial to getting an interview. Slightly apprehensive though if I was to get offered a job with regards the classroom based part of the apprenticeship what I'd do about digs etc as I know the money is dire the first few years.

Also if you weren't to be kept come the end of it what are the options after that? Youd have no experience with electrical in a commercial or industrial environment so I'm assuming options would be limited securing a job with another electrical company?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies, you are all very good. I completed the on-line psychometric tests yesterday. You need to be playing your A game with that one. Its being a while since I done an aptitude test to be fair. Generally not bad overall but I found the 3D spatial awareness test in particular bloody tough. Out of curiosity how did any others that completed the tests find them?
    Pay rates are around roughly €255 per week to €600+ in year 4. Never too old. You'll get more info in their brochure on there website. Best of luck
    Many thanks. Is the pay rate €255 per week for the first four years or are there incremental pay rises as you progress through the 4 year apprenticeship program?

@Metal man 40 have you applied?
    HoggyRS wrote: »
    Started last september with them at 29, 30 now. Prob 10 apprentices over 30 this year out of 80 odd overall. Most fellas/girls would be 18 starting though so its an experience being back with the young fellas. Money is shocking as with all apprenticeships so just something to consider if you have mortgages or loans. You'll spend 12 weeks in first years in portlaoise in the esb training centre so can be a hassle if youre from the west. No guarantee of a job at the end of the apprenticeship should be noted too.

Good company though, all the gear, training etc. The work is interesting for sure
    Overall not where I would have expected or hoped to have being at this stage in my life HoggyRS. On the plus side thankfully I am pretty financially secure at the moment, have savings, no kids, mortgage free, no loans etc. Can take a fall in income if its a means to a half decent end.
    I am circa 1.5 hours drive away from Portlaoise. Could most likely commute if only for 12 weeks but if I need to get accommodation up there so be it. Are the 12 weeks all in the one block HoggyRS?

huggy15 did you apply? I can't say I identify with you as I've never being in a situation where I didn't find a job I was working on mentally challenging - if anything the opposite for me perhaps for the most part (I'm ignoring weekend and Summer jobs I had to get me through college). Although not ideal I always thought there is a lot to be said for a job you just get on with as long as its secure and pays relatively well and you can just forget about it when you leave for the day.... I would have always thought if that was the case for someone they could take up a new hobby or reading on something of interest. Granted though I have never being in a situation where I came home from work frustrated because I didn't find my work mentally challenging and don't want to come across and patronising or condescending if that's the way it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Overall not where I would have expected or hoped to have being at this stage in my life HoggyRS. On the plus side thankfully I am pretty financially secure at the moment, have savings, no kids, mortgage free, no loans etc. Can take a fall in income if its a means to a half decent end.
    I am circa 1.5 hours drive away from Portlaoise. Could most likely commute if only for 12 weeks but if I need to get accommodation up there so be it. Are the 12 weeks all in the one block HoggyRS?

im nearer to 2 hours from portlaoise and drove up and down everyday so 1.5 hours very doable. You get an extra 191euro a week when youre in portlaoise.

You do 2 initial weeks up there for your induction, then a few weeks back on site, followed by a 3 week block of technical training back in portlaoise. Then another 5 week block of technical training after xmas in portlaoise. I now realise this is 10 weeks not 12 weeks as I previously stated!

huggy15 did you apply? I can't say I identify with you as I've never being in a situation where I didn't find a job I was working on mentally challenging - if anything the opposite for me perhaps for the most part (I'm ignoring weekend and Summer jobs I had to get me through college). Although not ideal I always thought there is a lot to be said for a job you just get on with as long as its secure and pays relatively well and you can just forget about it when you leave for the day.... I would have always thought if that was the case for someone they could take up a new hobby or reading on something of interest. Granted though I have never being in a situation where I came home from work frustrated because I didn't find my work mentally challenging and don't want to come across and patronising or condescending if that's the way it seems.[/quote]

Yeah I have applied I just need to do the aptitudes now. I want to do a bit more practice before going at the actual ones. The job I am in at the minute is grand but I feel I am well capable of doing more and also once qualified the salary of a network technician would be pretty decent and slightly more than I'm on now. I'll give it a go and if it goes my way happy days but if not ill not lose any sleep.

Just done the aptitude test. Mechanical reasoning was handy enough, definitely thought verbal one was tight on time. The rest I thought I done ok on. When will we hear if we get through to the next stage?

huggy15 wrote: »
    Just done the aptitude test. Mechanical reasoning was handy enough, definitely thought verbal one was tight on time. The rest I thought I done ok on. When will we hear if we get through to the next stage?

From what I remember it was around end of April early May last year when my son got word back. Saying that with covid 19 hard to know but aptitudes are all Computerised so should give results then. I wonder if he's successful when will interviews be . I've my son in leaving cert so up in a heap at minute don't know when he's sitting the state exams and waiting on this also.
    Best of luck everyone anyways and stay safe.

From what I remember it was around end of April early May last year when my son got word back. Saying that with covid 19 hard to know but aptitudes are all Computerised so should give results then. I wonder if he's successful when will interviews be . I've my son in leaving cert so up in a heap at minute don't know when he's sitting the state exams and waiting on this also.
    Best of luck everyone anyways and stay safe.

Yeah got an email saying end of April but I've a feeling that will change given the current global situation. I can feel a recession coming so if I was to get to interview stage or offered the job I'd be a bit apprehensive about leaving my current job. Only time will tell. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bazzers

Hi guys,just wondering has anyone received anything regarding being called for an interview?probably a week or two early yet tho,not as much word about it this year compared to other years

Bazzers wrote: »
    Hi guys,just wondering has anyone received anything regarding being called for an interview?probably a week or two early yet tho,not as much word about it this year compared to other years

Yes it's very quiet this year whether that's a good or bad thing. Hopefully we'll get word soon. My son waiting to hear back also

Got an email today saying I've made it through to the next stage of the application process which means I will be included in the shortlisting process but it does not mean I am guaranteed an interview.

They said the shortlisting will be completed over the next 3 weeks and they will contact applicants with updates. Interviews will also be delayed due to covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Got an email today saying I've made it through to the next stage of the application process which means I will be included in the shortlisting process but it does not mean I am guaranteed an interview.

They said the shortlisting will be completed over the next 3 weeks and they will contact applicants with updates. Interviews will also be delayed due to covid 19.

Likewise, though I will be withdrawing from the competition as I've secured work elsewhere. Best of luck to you who make it through this stage.

My son got through to next phase also. Fingers crossed.

I wonder how they decide who off the shortlist gets an interview? Aptitude score? Or is the aptitude just a pass or fail. Personal statement?

How many apprentices usually get kept on and offered a job after the 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 EmmaFitz16

Hi, just wondering if anyone got word back on an interview yet, its been 4 weeks since they sent email about shortlisting for interviews

Thanks

EmmaFitz16 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone got word back on an interview yet, its been 4 weeks since they sent email about shortlisting for interviews

Thanks

Got word yesterday. Thanks but no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 EmmaFitz16

Ah thats a pity, its such a difficult job to get, my son is still waiting to hear, maybe tomorrow, hate waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Got word yesterday. Thanks but no thanks!

Likewise.

• Advertisement

EmmaFitz16 wrote: »
    Ah thats a pity, its such a difficult job to get, my son is still waiting to hear, maybe tomorrow, hate waiting

Yeah it definitely isn't easy to get in or even get an interview, but what's for you won't pass you so I'm not gna beat myself up over it. Best of luck to your son and anyone else who's applied!

We got email through to interview stage no dates set yet due to covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

My Daughter got an email that shes through to Interview stage - Im delighted for her.

torbie wrote: »
    My Daughter got an email that shes through to Interview stage - Im delighted for her.

That's great my son also. Best of luck

Is it true interviews are not until September. That's crazy if that's the case alot of leaving cert students applied and will have had to of accepted or rejected a college place just weeks earlier. Bad timing. Did anyone else hear likewise.

Yes my daughter got an email today saying they were in sept. I figure she will have enrolled in a course by then. Theres nothing we can do about it so have to go with it.

Anyone get through to interview stage and now told there not progressing with application and have to wait until 2021 campaign. Really disappointing. A year is a long time. Waiting for a date and got email saying no interview anymore. So deflated and frustrated. Due to covid 19 less apprentice been taken on

That is so crap. It's like they handed you a chance and took it away.. so sorry to hear that. My daughter got through to the interview stage too but got a phone call last week & picked her time & date for the interview.
    I think they agreed to a certain amount of apprenticeships over a few years so hopefully they'll make up the numbers. Do you have a plan B?

I was just wondering- was your son told they would get an interview next year or do they have to start again?
    It's a crappy thing to do to the applicants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Kiki1

Hello,

Has anyone sat the interview? Just wondering what kind of questions were asked and if you would have any pointers.

Thanks

Advertisement