Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

After Life - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Don't forget the musical montages of Tony walking around

Sorry yes, coldplay-lite acoustic guitar kicks in so you know he’s feeling glum. For himself mind, not the heroin addict he convinced to kill himself 6 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I am still amazed at times that Gervais wrote this show. There are some clever scenes or lines but overall it’s like a really expensive production of coronation street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found these outtakes of Afterlife from season 2.

It seemed odd to me that Gervais found his own stuff he has written, so hilarious.
    To be honest I always assumed that laugh he had (with the programme with Karl Pilkington) was a put on forced laugh that was for comedic effect.

Obviously not.

I think the funniest bits in this clip are the ones involving the dog.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It seemed odd to me that Gervais found his own stuff he has written, so hilarious.
    Judging from the outtakes, it’s not that he’s finding the writing hilarious... it’s how the actor’s are “corpsing” on dialogue and their general inability to get lines out. Even the bit with the psychiatrist and "Ratty and the Nonce”, he’s letting “The Nonce” be loose with the names he’s making up and finding them hilarious. It’s refreshing to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Shockingly poor Season 2. I liked Seaon 1 alot.

In Season 2 Alot of the characters just became unbelievable characatures. He completely lost the plot in the writing. Nothing was funny and his character seemed to regress massively from Season 1.

Awful stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

poteen wrote: »
    Shockingly poor Season 2. I liked Seaon 1 alot.

In Season 2 Alot of the characters just became unbelievable characatures. He completely lost the plot in the writing. Nothing was funny and his character seemed to regress massively from Season 1.

Awful stuff.

i think in season 2 the more 'quirky' characters of Pat the postman and Roxy the hooker from seaosn 1 became quite normal in comparison to the complete OTT characters of the Therapist, Brian and the theatre director.

while i enjoyed season 2 in the most, its as if Gervais couldn't trust his writing to be humorous enough without the crass and flamboyance of these OTT characters.

i still think its better than the office, which is solely based on cringe humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,808 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ricky Gervais Netflix dramedy Afterlife will drop the 3rd ( final ) season on Friday, Jan. 14. Season 3 will span six episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Watched all of season 3 today.

All wrapped up nicely but I was an emotional wreck after the last scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good to hear. Watched episode 1 today and wasn't overly impressed. Glad to hear it gets better.

I did like the zebra crossing bit. Who hasn't wanted to do this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just starting episode 2. Liked episode 1.

This is more like Season 1 rather than Season 2 so looking forward to the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Watched all 6 this evening. First three were quite poor imo but it really picked up for the final 3. A few scenes across the three had me choking up while others had me lolling. The music throughout, particularly in part 6, was exquisitely picked. Nicely wrapped up and a very enjoyable watch without being saccharine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I just watched them all this evening (didn’t mean to, but that’s the way it goes!)- overall I found it way more gloomy than funny. It could have easily stopped with 2 seasons or even 1, I agree with the review that said this latest batch of episodes didn’t add anything new.

Poor Kath at the yoga though 🥺

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Love the new season. Watched the first 3 last night. It probably has taken 1 step back on Tony's journey through grief but I like that it's focusing on how he's trying to create a new relationship and the struggle that brings. Also, it's funny, charming and bittersweet as ever. Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That last scene. Was not ready for that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

It was very good great observations and writing and got a nice bit about doggies in there too. Ricky loves dogs all in all powerful in its own way and unlike the first two seasons. I think its a lesson in grief and how to cope well worth the watch all 3 seasons. Derek is another series less known and its very powerful too also still on netflix i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Binged the last 3 episodes last night. What a great show. Perfect ending (spoilers ahead).

Part of me hoped he'd end up being able to move on with the nurse but this ending felt more real, with enough room for interpretation to imagine yourself what Tony's future held. The dog disappearing and then him was just.... it's still on my mind. I don't think I ever seen the subject of grief done so well across a show. Gervais deserves every award going for this IMO. Outside Tony's story, the stuff with Kath was well done in the end, you really feel for her situation and I glad she ended with hope. The real kicker this season though was the little girl... "what's your name"... "Lisa". FFS, that was so well done, particularly after the angels conversation. And then how Tony answered her questions about his Lisa... and the whole heaven thing. There's not a lot of shows I go back to rewatch, but this is one of them.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm an absolute mess after that last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That was a fantastic series, I really didn’t enjoy the second but this more than made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Actually can't believe Gervais wrote that. Watched it all, nice show but by God does he really lay it on thick.

Sad piano when he's feeling sad, trying to get a tear out of the viewer is just so forced, don't want to sound like an arse but there was little to no subtlety to it.

The fact he clearly wrote this show for himself aswell, zero depth in the writing of supporting characters.

Merchant stopped collaborating him I believe because he didn't agree with the need for Gervais to appear in everything they wrote, it seems to be a pre-requisite for him.

The content on Netflix seems to be so one dimensional, young people nowadays seem to be blown away with some awful shite.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Definitely the best thing Gervais has done.

Its power is in its simplicity, which is the result of a lot of hard work.

The whole season has both laugh out loud moments, cringe moments, angry asshole moments, and compete lip trembling heart ache in just about tolerable enough measures.

That last scene.....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

After life is a strange one. I feel with season 1 that it ended nice enough if he didn't get to do or wanted to do another one.

Then we get season 2 and we have to reset everything and feels like going through everything again just to get us back to where we were at the end of season 1.

Now we had to do it again for season 3. The benefit this time is we didn't get to much of him and nurse. Also she never seems that busy in the nursing home and just leaves whenever she feels like it. I'm glad they ended it as Friends and let her off with someone else.

Odd to mention covid but not really deal with it. It might have been better just not to bring it up, unless this town just can't be bothered with masks and social distancing.

Ultimately it could just been one season and left it at that. How many bloody scenes do we need of him and the old lady at the cemetery and her telling him how great he is.

Wasn't blown away by the ending.

The erotic fiction writer was fantastic though, it takes skill to deliberately write that kind of ****. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Loved it from start to finish. Sure, it had its flaws but overall it was great television that deals with an important subject. The ending was superb.

From a comedic perspective, Ken was my favourite character. His rant comparing Aids and Covid had me in stitches 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kerry_man15

Watched all of Season 3 in one night, found it dragged quite a bit and very few funny scenes. Don't think it really added anything. The final episode was the best one of the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah ... just as expected, half way through I just wanted to get it over with. It wasn't bad, some eps were enjoyable enough, but this forcing of already oddball characters to be more extreme and his continuous moping and whining was getting a bit much. Good series overall but it had run out of steam by S2 tbh, can see why he only did 2 seasons of his other hits [Office, Extras]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

More spoilers. Guess I should just unsubscribe from the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was in bits in the last episode. In fairness, you could play Both Sides Now over footage over people laughing and being happy and it would still make you cry. :-)

In terms of the ending, the way they faded out... was that just to show that eventually everyone dies? A part of me felt like it was showing Tony was an "angel" as the lady told him. He had help people, sorted things out, helped Kath get a date etc. His work was done. :-)

Oh I didn’t like the final episode at all. It’s almost as if Rick had written something sadder and executives told him to rewrite it a bit lighter, so he took the piss and went overboard. He wrote an English summer fair where everybody couples off with everybody. Literally anybody who could breathe - regardless of their sociability and/or body odour - paired off in 5 minutes to the tear jerking sounds of Joni Mitchell being ambiguous about clouds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Sorry mate, don't spoilt anything really. It's basically just the first two seasons again.

Advertisement