Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow cooker options for beef/lamb stew

• 18-05-2020 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I work shifts and im away from my apartment for around 13 hours. I leave at 6:30am and im not back until 7:30 pm. Im just wondering if its possible to cook a beef stew so slowly over that period of time. If it is I would appreciate a recommendation for a cooker and a recipe?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That might be a bit too long, the flavours might not be as great even if you do it on the low setting. You'd probably need a plug-in timer for your socket if you're using an ordinary slow cooker. An Instant pot would be ideal if your budget stretches to it, because it can be used as both a slow cooker and a pressure cooker which would cook it in a tiny fraction of the time. It has a built in timer which is a huge bonus too.

We have a huge thread of slow cooker recipes with links to a lot of the recipes in the first post. Although it's an old thread, feel free to add to it because it's one that we revive often: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would say +1 on the Instant Pot, £60 from Amazon and a great piece of kit. The pressure cooking function would have fork tender beef or lamb in about an hour inside it under pressure. You can up the recipe to cook in bulk and make 6 or 8 portions so that way when you get in from work its just a matter of putting it in the microwave and its done.

If you did want to slow cook it the Instant Pot has a delay timer on it so could be set to turn on a few hours after youve left the house. But personally I never use it to slow cook as the results from pressure cooking are the same IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Bought a Ninja Foodi recently, pricey (€220 or so) but can't fault it. Its an air fryer, slow cooker and pressure cooker in one device.

The pressure cooker will allow you to get the desired result i.e very tender meat in little time. I have never managed to achieve that with a slow cooker. The ribs out of it are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would simply suggest you brown off all the stuff the night before and put in the fridge.
    In the morning set cooker for 3hrs on a low heat finishing at required time and pop in oven.
    It will take meat a good bit of time to come back to room temp so you be fine.
    I would use meat ,onion, celery, leeks and dried beans as carrot parsnip spuds don't like too much cooking.

Advertisement