Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powakaddy battery issue

• 16-05-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just a quick one for you all. Just noticed today that when I put my powakaddy lithium battery into my trolley as usual nothing lit up, as if the battery was completely dead. I plugged it back into the charge pack and the red and green lights are alternately flashing. It's been left on charge for the last two months which was probably a bad mistake on my behalf. Is the battery completely unrechargeable now? It's an 18 hole battery that is two years old since April.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Check your manual. I have a different make but both lights flashing most likely means the battery is damaged. Like you said those lithium ones aren't supposed to be left connected to the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Afaik (open to correction) some of those batteries have to be switched on before charging. On those ones, you can get the alternating lights if it's switched off when charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yeah, the research I'm seeing indicates that I may have inadvertently damaged the battery by leaving it plugged in charge too long. New battery looks like only solution unfortunately.....€240😲

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭kyleman

Same happened me last year.
    Brought it back to supplier and he checked it and it was gone.
    Bought 2 years earlier with a pro rata battery guarantee .
    He rang powakaddy in England and they stood over that guarantee so received new battery for €140 with a full 5 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Long Turn

If red and green are flashing alternatively - There is a small button at the back which must be switched on to charge it.

• Advertisement

Long Turn wrote: »
    If red and green are flashing alternatively - There is a small button at the back which must be switched on to charge it.
    You said that with far better clarity than I did. :)
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Afaik (open to correction) some of those batteries have to be switched on before charging. On those ones, you can get the alternating lights if it's switched off when charging.

Long Turn wrote: »

Yep I'm aware of that. Always have it on when charging. I think the issue might be that I've left on charge for way too long without using it. Stupid mistake but you live and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

I've had my Powakaddy battery permanently on charge since lock down......! The manual said to leave it on charge when not in use and I've always done so.

The charger light has remained green all that time. Will let you know tomorrow if mine works.

Mine is still under guarantee.........

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Yep I'm aware of that. Always have it on when charging. I think the issue might be that I've left on charge for way too long without using it. Stupid mistake but you live and learn!

Never seen/heard that cause a battery fault. I have always left my battery on charge when not in use and never had an issue

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Never seen/heard that cause a battery fault. I have always left my battery on charge when not in use and never had an issue
    Instruction manual for mine says not to leave it on charge for more than 48 hours. Of course that could well be a function of the charger and not the battery.

• Advertisement

Lithium batteries are not be left on charge AFAIK.

Lithium batteries are not be left on charge AFAIK.
    Well (again afaik) you can have intelligent chargers that switch off after the battery is charged. Just an extension of the red light, green light function. However, not sure if they remain off when the battery drops below 100% charge. It's also dangerous since lithium batteries are known to go on fire spontaneously.

I have a Motocaddy lithium not Powakaddy but my manual says disconnect when charged. I agree there are intelligent chargers and I also agree that lithium batteries are less stable than old school lead batteries. OP just needs to consult the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭redhill

https://www.powakaddy.com/batteries/

States here that all plug n play lithium are guaranteed for 5 years, would u have registered your trolley on purchase with them ? Or alternatively check with who u purchased with

I've had my Powakaddy battery permanently on charge since lock down......! The manual said to leave it on charge when not in use and I've always done so.

The charger light has remained green all that time. Will let you know tomorrow if mine works.

Mine is still under guarantee.........

Powakaddy and battery worked perfectly this morning..........

My manual says it should be on charge when not in use.

Powakaddy and battery worked perfectly this morning..........

My manual says it should be on charge when not in use.

Yeah I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving it on charge but clearly there is something not right with the battery

Yeah I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving it on charge but clearly there is something not right with the battery

Mine (FW7) is 1.5 years old. During its 5th round, it shut down completely. No power to the wheels and the screen went completely blank. I took it back and the electronic unit was replaced. Worked fine for a while but after that, the screen froze maybe once in every 2-3 rounds. I took it back again and once more they put a new electronic unit into it. Under guarantee each time.

Everything fine since. I never had an issue with the battery but each time I returned it to the store, I was asked if I left the battery on charge when not in use. I told them I did and they said that it was important to do so.......

Advertisement