Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your gardening photos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I will be unashamedly robbing your legume frame idea!

Just wow! Well done. I now have huge pond envy.....;)

Thanks! I was minded to put the pic up as on the recent thread on ponds elsewhere on the gardening forum, somebody made the point that you end up doing three ponds as you realise twice the last one wasn't big enough- and that is exactly the case there! Seven x 10 metres. It took me 25 hours of digging and 28 hours to fill it by hose. I garden for wildlife primarily and I really went ott for this. I've had a pair of mallards visit it the last two springs, so I'm hoping.....

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I would love a pond! All my garden plants are wildlife friendly too. There’s nothing nicer than seeing the first bee or butterfly of the season landing on what you planted for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

baaba maal wrote: »
    From last year.

Pond is fantastic. But that stone arch is super. Did you build it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Pond is fantastic. But that stone arch is super. Did you build it ?

Love that moongate too.

• Advertisement

Love that moongate too.

Yes- I like a challenge! I managed it all except I was too mean to buy two sheets of OSB for the formwork, so cut one in half and made a half-moon sandwich (separated by battens) and put it on legs in order to make the upper half of the arch- so needed a hand to put it back up. Very nervous moment kicking away the supports, but it held!

Very cool,
    Love the pond and the above veg garden.

Are you running any filtration in the pond?

Love that moongate too.
    Very cool,
    Love the pond and the above veg garden.

Are you running any filtration in the pond?

No. It is for wildlife first and foremost, so I just let it balance itself- I scoop the algae off the top when the weather gets hot. My one big mistake was putting in bulrush- a thug of a plant! A great newt population, diving beetles and caddisfly (even though I thought they needed moving water).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Excellent work . Very impressive

Excellent work . Very impressive

Thanks

• Advertisement

Wow Baaba. That is truly a stunning looking garden. Beautifully done.

I too am stealing that idea for the legume frames :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I've decided I want a moongate. Don't care where, don't care how, I just want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

baaba maal wrote: »
    From last year.

Gorgeous moongate
    Foxgloves look like torches
    Fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My Venus Flytrap...

venus-flytrap.jpg

i've had it for a year now, its healthy enough, but i don't think it's ever caught a fly as yet...are irish flies not attracted to it or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Some eggs on one of my sunflowers today, think they are from a Green shield bug?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd say you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Lovely to see the rose bush starting to flower again!

EX4soUUXgAAR754?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

fryup wrote: »
    My Venus Flytrap...

venus-flytrap.jpg

i've had it for a year now, its healthy enough, but i don't think it's ever caught a fly as yet...are irish flies not attracted to it or something??

Where did you get it and was it dear if you don’t mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Homebase had them before the lockdown. They never looked as healthy as that specimen! :)

Perennial border starting to take shape. Frost killed 4 of my baby pin cushion/scabious plants on the little mounds in front. Thankfully I have backup stock!

512982.jpeg

• Advertisement

My Serbian bellflower has come a long way this year. Finally established, hopefully a good display on the way. It only took 4 years from seed lol!

513006.jpeg

My OH asked me yesterday, “What’s the story with the Christmas trees, are they ever going to flower?” :pac:

Got to admit, it wasn’t the look I thought I’d end up with!

513008.jpeg

venus flytrap - a fiver from my local garden shop, best kept in a greenhouse or window ledge needs plenty of sunshine as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

fryup wrote: »
    venus flytrap - a fiver from my local garden shop, best kept in a greenhouse or window ledge needs plenty of sunshine as possible
    ibe seen them for sale from supermarkets and everything. The sensitive plant seens to be popular the last few years aswell. Mine was doing great but died over the winter i think i was ment to take cutting from it.

^^^ in winter months leave it in a plastic bag in a cool dry place, its goes into a sort of hibernation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Has anyone planted a mixed native hedge? If so, could you throw up some photos of it? Are you happy you went with a mixed hedge?

We will need to sow roughly 40m of hedging in the autumn, and i really want to sow a mixed native hedge. They don't seem to be very common around here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

scarepanda wrote: »
    Has anyone planted a mixed native hedge? If so, could you throw up some photos of it? Are you happy you went with a mixed hedge?

We will need to sow roughly 40m of hedging in the autumn, and i really want to sow a mixed native hedge. They don't seem to be very common around here though.

Not as many varieties in this hedge than more common mixed native hedge but I have put up some video clips of a hedge of hornbeam and whitethorn here if that is any help. There is a self seeded oak along it as well that I will try encourage into a tree by not trimming it back as much as the rest and it seems to be working out well so far. There is a mixed hedge with more variety in it closer to the house that is maybe about 15 years old now and it seems great for wildlife and is very good at giving the garden some shelter from the wind which is a bit of a problem with the garden being near the top of a hill. The cotoneaster, cherry and sweet chestnut are good ones to include in the mix from what I see in the more mature hedge.

Thank you!

Would you go with a mixed hedge in a garden? I want to plant a mixed hedge, not 100% sure what mix as of yet, with some crab apples as trees mixed in along a block wall boundary. It would be linked to fields via the back boundary. I'm a little worried that maybe a mixed hedge isn't suitable for a garden setting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

This is mixed native hedge from future forests, we have about 300meters all round our garden. Its lovely for the wildlife as we have pheasants, hedgehogs, robins, black birds and thrushes thriving in the hedge. Different growth rates means it will never be a great looking hedge but we love it

513353.JPG

513354.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

scarepanda wrote: »
    Thank you!

Would you go with a mixed hedge in a garden? I want to plant a mixed hedge, not 100% sure what mix as of yet, with some crab apples as trees mixed in along a block wall boundary. It would be linked to fields via the back boundary. I'm a little worried that maybe a mixed hedge isn't suitable for a garden setting though.

I think if you have the space then it is a good option. The formal tightly clipped hedge with one type of plant is much less interesting in my opinion. With a mixed hedge you can have some interesting colour all year round if you make a good selection of plants. Some holly and cotoneaster and pyracantha are evergreens and hornbeam and beech can hold their dead leaves until the following year if you are worried about it being a bit bare in the winter. The mixed hedge is a much better option for wild life.

• Advertisement

Thank you krissovo! That looks lovely!

A tightly clipped hedge is the last thing we want, mainly coz we wouldn't be disciplined enough to keep it looking tidy and I think theres a very fine line with a formal hedge looking good and awful.

The house is on a half acre site, with about half that as the back garden. We have one regular field ditch on one side, an evergeeen hedge on the back boundary, which we will replace in a year or two and then the block wall on the other side, which is what i plan to plant up in the autumn. We have to take out large evergreen shrubs and then top the wall off with a timber picket fence type fence to make sure the dogs can't get out.

Advertisement