Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

just caught this thread too late for some but my advise for what's its worth is stay well away from Sahara range. I've been using gas BBQ for over 30 years and burnt out a few of them. I didn't get that chance with Sahara from Woodies as it was so bad i just threw it out.
    The model i got was a fully stainless steel 3 burner about €500 at the time. Right from the start i felt that I wasn't getting the really hot searing heat for steaks burgers etc. After a while I contacted the Wicklow based manufacturer/distributer and explained the problem and they in fairness sent me new burners and gas inserts. However it still didn't produce the heat of other BBQ I had had and I found it frustrating to use. Personally I didn't think it was worth holding on to and dumped it and went for the Broil King which I have connected to my natural gas( you need to order it specially).
    I have had this for about 8 years and use it winter and summer and it still performs almost as well as new. I will need to replace a burner shortly. Maybe I was unlucky twice with Sahara but I couldn't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone have a good generic cover for their BBQ? Got a broil King but didnt fancy spending another €120 - €140 for a branded cover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I go for the B&Q ones myself. Just measure it out and get one closest to your size and at that price point, I don't mind buying one every 3 or 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone have a good generic cover for their BBQ? Got a broil King but didnt fancy spending another €120 - €140 for a branded cover

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QY3DYYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this

lifetime gtee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Home Store and More heavy duty one is good. Don't see them listed on their website though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

hargo wrote: »
    just caught this thread too late for some but my advise for what's its worth is stay well away from Sahara range. I've been using gas BBQ for over 30 years and burnt out a few of them. I didn't get that chance with Sahara from Woodies as it was so bad i just threw it out.
    The model i got was a fully stainless steel 3 burner about €500 at the time. Right from the start i felt that I wasn't getting the really hot searing heat for steaks burgers etc. After a while I contacted the Wicklow based manufacturer/distributer and explained the problem and they in fairness sent me new burners and gas inserts. However it still didn't produce the heat of other BBQ I had had and I found it frustrating to use. Personally I didn't think it was worth holding on to and dumped it and went for the Broil King which I have connected to my natural gas( you need to order it specially).
    I have had this for about 8 years and use it winter and summer and it still performs almost as well as new. I will need to replace a burner shortly. Maybe I was unlucky twice with Sahara but I couldn't recommend them.

ouch...I have literally just finished setting up mine !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

I'm gonna try a brisket for the second time ever on a gas bbq tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

The first one (last year) didn't work out too well so I was wondering about a few things. The bbq is a small enough 3 burner and i'm reading mixed things about setting the furthest burner on highest or lowest setting and the meat on the other end. Converting american youtube video temperatures tells me about 140 celcius is the target temp, would this sound about right? I'll be soaking some weber whiskey wood chips for 30 mins before and using a home made foil smoker placed on the grill rack directly over the burner.

Secondly, when it comes to a rub: I'm thinking of mixing himalayan pink salt, onion granules, mild chilli powder, smoked sweet paprika and cayenne pepper for the rub and making a spray bottle composed of equal measures of pineapple juice, apple juice and red wine or balsamic vinegar. Target time for a small cut of approx. 1 kilo would be about 8 hours?

Thanks in advance
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'm gonna try a brisket for the second time ever on a gas bbq tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

The first one (last year) didn't work out too well so I was wondering about a few things. The bbq is a small enough 3 burner and i'm reading mixed things about setting the furthest burner on highest or lowest setting and the meat on the other end. Converting american youtube video temperatures tells me about 140 celcius is the target temp, would this sound about right? I'll be soaking some weber whiskey wood chips for 30 mins before and using a home made foil smoker placed on the grill rack directly over the burner.

Secondly, when it comes to a rub: I'm thinking of mixing himalayan pink salt, onion granules, mild chilli powder, smoked sweet paprika and cayenne pepper for the rub and making a spray bottle composed of equal measures of pineapple juice, apple juice and red wine or balsamic vinegar. Target time for a small cut of approx. 1 kilo would be about 8 hours?

Thanks in advance
    Tony

Looks good, couple of things.

I wouldn't go above 125c on the BBQ.

I would add some sugar to the rub.

Cooking time depends on the thickness of the brisket so keep an eye on temp. Aim for internal temp of 95c. Could take 5 hours, could take 14!

The "stall" or "plateau" (where collagen converts into gelatin) starts when the meat temp is about 65c and may lasted for a few hours. Once over that hump, it'll come up to 95c quite quickly.

Wrap it in a towel (so it can breathe a bit) for an hour and slice away.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

Sounds good. Forgot to mention the brown sugar in the mix above. Would you overnight the rub on the brisket? (wrapped up in the fridge)?

Yeah- 125c max for the gas low and slow. Evaporation from the top is also a key cause of the “stall”- .i.e it’s evaporating liquid which is then cooling the top of the meat- after about 4 hours I wrap and turn the meat upside down - I find this helps avoid a tough outside and makes it more like the melting fall away from bone interior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hi. Which Broil King did you go for, and what are your first impressions?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

Zefer I got an OMC barbecue cover supplied with my 3 burner Broil King which I came across last week while cleaning out the garage. Its never been used because i have my BBQ built in under cover. If you are close to Drogheda you can have it for a tenner. Its as new and very heavy duty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For smoking on a gas bbq, does anyone have a view on whats better - the tube shown in the video in the first post, or the smoke box that goes under the bars? Or are they used for different things?
    If you have flavour bars, you'll need to make a foil pouch you can balance on them. Picked up a box on a whim and it won't stay put and on the grill bars it's too high up to smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

are smoke boxes for 1. smoking food as method of cooking it, 2. flavouring food being cooked on the grill, or 3. both?

podge018 wrote: »
    are smoke boxes for 1. smoking food as method of cooking it, 2. flavouring food being cooked on the grill, or 3. both?

Flavouring only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

The link in the first post is a bit misleading then, no?

https://happymoneysaver.com/easy-homemade-bbq-smoker-plans/

Talks about this method being a replacement for a '$300 smoker' and "Smoke for the recommended amount of time or until desired temperature of your meat is reached".

Confusing.

podge018 wrote: »
    The link in the first post is a bit misleading then, no?

https://happymoneysaver.com/easy-homemade-bbq-smoker-plans/

Talks about this method being a replacement for a '$300 smoker' and "Smoke for the recommended amount of time or until desired temperature of your meat is reached".

Confusing.

Yeah but she has one side of the grill on. The one under the smoker box. Grill for indirect heat, smoke for flavour.

Its a replacement for a smoker assuming you already have a gas BBQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I eventually decided on the Weber Spirt II E-320. Delivered during the week from aroomoutside .

Spent a few hours yesterday morning putting it together - simple enough task if you have space and lay it out before starting.

Went on the hunt for patio gas - couldn’t get it anywhere but eventually was told to try the ‘gas light’ form calor - fits perfectly and grill fired up on first go.

So will use it properly this evening for dinner .. I got the pizza stone and cast iron skillet for it - to fit in the GBS grates. Going to go for some Salmon cutlets and fresh veg

Will probably look at getting the rotisserie attachment down the line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If you are in Dublin you can order gas bottles for delivery. They collect your empty (if you have one) a few days later.

https://shop.flogas.ie/collections/bottled-gas?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7vNj4y76QIVQeztCh2XKQRcEAAYASAAEgJwk_D_BwE&q=shop%2Fbottled-gas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another butterflyed piece of lamb leg resting as I type.
    Yummmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

If you are in Dublin you can order gas bottles for delivery. They collect your empty (if you have one) a few days later.

https://shop.flogas.ie/collections/bottled-gas?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7vNj4y76QIVQeztCh2XKQRcEAAYASAAEgJwk_D_BwE&q=shop%2Fbottled-gas

extra 10 euro form delivery, almost all petrol stations have gas bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

And hardware stores......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And hardware stores......
    I was wondering if gardai will be stationed at hardware store entrances, not all of course but they might be at big ones, they have been outside the main road near my local shopping centre numerous times, I know people who were questioned but it was about distances and where they were going.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/3736c7-government-approves-moving-to-phase-1-of-easing-covid-19-restriction/#stay-at-home-except-for-the-following-5-reasons
    During Phase 1, it is intended that customers should restrict visits to such stores for essential supplies

it was said it should only be for emergencies like repairing leaking roofs etc, you might have a hard time convincing the gardai of how essential your BBQ is.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

maniac2003 wrote: »

I have the 4 burner model and really enjoy it, loving the hot plate.

Just on a side note, that website is very random for pricing. I got mine for €250 and it said I was saving €100. It's now gone up to €425 and it still says your saving €96.

The "free" utensils are ok but you might want to invest in your own.

The cover is decent, has protected it against the little rain we have had so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

AEH1984 wrote: »
    I have the 4 burner model and really enjoy it, loving the hot plate.

Just on a side note, that website is very random for pricing. I got mine for €250 and it said I was saving €100. It's now gone up to €425 and it still says your saving €96.

The "free" utensils are ok but you might want to invest in your own.

The cover is decent, has protected it against the little rain we have had so far.

Whats it like for maintenance? Hiw dobyou clean it? Does the hot plate not gather up grease?

I put a bit of heat back into it and use a wire brush on the grill. For the hot plate I use a bottle of water like this [HTML]https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-clear-squeeze-sauce-bottle-12oz/k657[/HTML] while the plate is still hot, steam the debris off it, wipe it down with a sponge and dry with kitchen towel, has worked so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Courier just arrived with Weber spirit 2 e310, ordered 5th May so quite a wait.

AEH1984 wrote: »

Just on a side note, that website is very random for pricing.

Also worth reading their google reviews for a chuckle.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, this might seem like a stupid question.

How long should a cylinder of propane last?

I have my bbq about 3 weeks, have used it everyday almost, the gas ran out tonight. I think there might be a leak somewhere or is it that Ive actually used all of the gas?

Will buy a new cylinder tomorrow and test for a leak.

Advertisement