Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Irish Lake Boat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I pull bung when i have it out of the water to let rain water out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Veganspider

Thanks for the reply. I'd have thought that's what they were for too, but the water doesn't drain at all with the bungs out. Could it possibly be to add ballast in the form of water to the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Thanks for the reply. I'd have thought that's what they were for too, but the water doesn't drain at all with the bungs out. Could it possibly be to add ballast in the form of water to the boat?

You mean take out the bung when you're on the water?!! Nooooo
    Very bad idea!
    It's purely a drain for when the boat is out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Veganspider

Ah no! I didn't mean out on the water!!
    I'm still puzzle as to what is their purpose though, as removing them has absolutely no effect on removing water within the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Has anyone here put finns on the back of a anglers fancy Burke boat to help it to plane through the water while travelling at speed. I have seen them on other boats, which works well on them, but is it worth putting them on a burke 19 ft! !
    Thanks
    Decdon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

decdon wrote: »
    Has anyone here put finns on the back of a anglers fancy Burke boat to help it to plane through the water while travelling at speed. I have seen them on other boats, which works well on them, but is it worth putting them on a burke 19 ft! !
    Thanks
    Decdon

one of my mates has the fins on his Burke boat, they are a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ah no! I didn't mean out on the water!!
    I'm still puzzle as to what is their purpose though, as removing them has absolutely no effect on removing water within the boat!

Do you mean there is a bung at the bow and at the stern in the floor?
    Probably for adding water to the floor for ballast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

decdon wrote: »
    Thanks
    Decdon

I wouldn't.
    They are not designed for that
    It is a displacement hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Sort for resurrecting an old thread but any one have views on the mayfly pro by osmarine?
    Thanks

Some great knowledge has been shared on this thread. Would be nice to keep the thread alive.

What are people's opinions on D.C. Boats, and McAlinden boats.
    The McAlinden boats seem to be getting very popular, I'm seeing a lot of the "King fisher" and "Pike Fisher" at pike competitions in the midlands. The Pike Fisher models look nice (I think its the same hull as the king fisher, just kitted out differently inside), lots of storage, and the bench seats removed. They must have a very strong Transom, I seen on boat with a 25HP outboard. What are these boats like in a good wave?

I have never seen a D.C Boat, but I have heard good things about them. I believe he has the fiberglass molds for the hull that Niall Lynch used for his boats. The Hull on the Lynch boats were fantastic in a good wave, and drifted very straight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some great knowledge has been shared on this thread. Would be nice to keep the thread alive.

The McAlinden boats seem to be getting very popular, I'm seeing a lot of the "King fisher" and "Pike Fisher" at pike competitions in the midlands. The Pike Fisher models look nice (I think its the same hull as the king fisher, just kitted out differently inside), lots of storage, and the bench seats removed. They must have a very strong Transom, I seen on boat with a 25HP outboard. What are these boats like in a good wave?

I have never seen a D.C Boat, but I have heard good things about them. I believe he has the fiberglass molds for the hull that Niall Lynch used for his boats. The Hull on the Lynch boats were fantastic in a good wave, and drifted very straight.

The only thing I have heard about the DC boats is that they look great but to be wary as they don't come with the CE plate that the likes of Burke do to certify that they have been approved for safety. There should be no reason not to get them so hard to understand why he wouldn't do it. They may be perfectly safe and handle well but ask yourself why they don't come certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The kingfisher is an excellent boat when under power in any wave, probably the best and safest lake boat. I wouldn’t take a present of one though as it’s also the worst drifter.

Interesting, I didn't know the DC boat wasn't certified.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Interesting, I didn't know the DC boat wasn't certified.

It may be now, that's what I was told last year. Definitely something to check before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I've had lake boats for years, but my next boat will be a fast aluminium boat or a larger boat the likes of a warrior 165, 80% of my fishing is lure fishing for pike, so those boats are ideal.

I had an Mcalinden boat fir a good few years, nice boat, but heavy, even with a 15hp honda it was slow.

15hp is the max for the kingfisher

I was at the show in swords at the weekend, Chris McAlinden had a very nice stand, he had one of the "Pike Fisher" boats on display. There was a 20hp 4 stroke Tohatsu on the back of it, however he had some metal reinforcement on the transom that also ran up the gunnels. I guess this allows a larger out board to be fitted. I have seen one of these boats with a 25 Yamaha on the back before. The modern 4 strokes are much smaller, I was amazed at how small the 20 Tohatsu was, its only a small bit bigger and heavier than my 2 stroke 9.9 Evinrude.

I didnt know that about the moulds he uses ( that they wee the lynch mould), the boats do look the business.

Where would you get those moulds?
    Are they a one off use type thing or is it a case if you create your boat using that mould and can make another boat using the same mould again ?

I didnt know that about the moulds he uses ( that they wee the lynch mould), the boats do look the business.

Where would you get those moulds?
    Are they a one off use type thing or is it a case if you create your boat using that mould and can make another boat using the same mould again ?

I seen David Connor say a few times on facebook that he uses the Lynch mould, he may have just bought it off Niall, as I don't believe he is making boats any more. The moulds do have a life span, Im not sure how many can be got out of one.

A mate of mine bought a new Mahar lake boat around 2-3 years ago. I think it was the second or third last boat he made before retiring. I believe the guy that runs mayfly marine in Clare has the mould and hopes to start making boats in the future. Those Mahar boats are rock solid too, been out in on on a rough day on Corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've had lake boats for years, but my next boat will be a fast aluminium boat or a larger boat the likes of a warrior 165, 80% of my fishing is lure fishing for pike, so those boats are ideal.

I had an Mcalinden boat fir a good few years, nice boat, but heavy, even with a 15hp honda it was slow.
    Are you trolling for pike? A cubby at the front can catch the wind making it hard to steer.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Are you trolling for pike? A cubby at the front can catch the wind making it hard to steer.

I do troll yes.
    I get what you mean alright regarding the front cuddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I do troll yes.
    I get what you mean alright regarding the front cuddy.

Cuddy, yeah. I knew cubby looked wrong. Something you can stand up in comfortably, troll in a straight line and have comfortable seats. Irish lake boat seats are designed by a sick bastard who hates people

Cienciano wrote: »
    Cuddy, yeah. I knew cubby looked wrong. Something you can stand up in comfortably, troll in a straight line and have comfortable seats. Irish lake boat seats are designed by a sick bastard who hates people

Yep, they actually arent a great design for the use they get most of the time.
    And they are always too narrow at the stern, which is why lads modify them with a fin etc.

I want a boat with roon in it.
    And that can go fast without having to be modded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Redfinn 500 boat? I'm looking out for a boat for Pike fishing and came across these, just don't know of anyone that has one or how they perform.

do you mean the Redfin 5000?
    I have never seen one, but a friend of a friend bought one new. He is very happy with the boat, however he had to give half the price of the boat as a deposit, and he had to wait 20 weeks for the boat to arrive instead of the 4 weeks he was told when he paid the deposit.

do you mean the Redfin 5000?
    I have never seen one, but a friend of a friend bought one new. He is very happy with the boat, however he had to give half the price of the boat as a deposit, and he had to wait 20 weeks for the boat to arrive instead of the 4 weeks he was told when he paid the deposit.

Yes sorry, the 5000. The layout looks good but my main concern would be stability. Good Aluminium boats are seriously expensive so this may be a good alternative.
    The company selling them is quite close to me but yeah 20 weeks waiting when 4 promised is not good unless it can be put down to Covid.

I would consider a Motocraft angler 470. They are a Romanian built aluminium boat, 4.7 meters. Michael Conway may even have some in stock, and if not he gets deliveries of them very often. Boat and trailer under 8k for the tiller version of the boat. Michael is very easy to deal with, I've bought a few bits and bobs of him.

https://www.conwayanglingcraft.ie/product/motocraft-angler-4-7m-tiller

My next boat will either be an aluminium or a double skinned polyethylene. If its an aluminium, it would be hard to look past the Motocraft for the amount of times I get out per year. Two of my mates have smart wave boats, they are a double skinned polyethylene boat. I've been very impressed with them, and also the price. They paid around £4k up the north, however with brexit, who knows what those prices will be now.
    I'll have to stick with the lake boat for a little longer!

Thanks for the suggestion, you now have me looking at the Tangiri :pac:
    I'll contact Michael and see what he can do.

Akabusi wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion, you now have me looking at the Tangiri :pac:
    I'll contact Michael and see what he can do.

They are a lovely boat too!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭doogie!

Just picked up a 17ft Sheelin, what would be a good engine for it? Thinking an 8hp Honda. Primarily trawling lures... budget circa 1500?

• Advertisement

doogie! wrote: »
    Just picked up a 17ft Sheelin, what would be a good engine for it? Thinking an 8hp Honda. Primarily trawling lures... budget circa 1500?

If you're looking at Honda, go for the 10hp if you are considering an 8hp, exact same engine with 2 more hp.

Advertisement