Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Five years of marriage equality. How has our society survived.

• 16-05-2020 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Dire, dire warnings about the gays adopting any passing childers and we'd all be surrogates for them non stop. I think we're alright, given the circumstances.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dunno, traffic levels got worse (before the pox hit).
    i blame the gays marrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

i dunno, traffic levels got worse (before the pox hit).

Huh? Traffic levels down 75%. No Golf on TV. No Gambling (aka horse racing) on TV. Hospitals A&E depts are very quiet, excepting the virus. Nearly everyone is nice to each other. Down to the gays getting married, I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

duh. the gays are taking the year off. haven't you heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Mother’s Day still seems to be a thing too. Wasn’t Fidelma warning us the gays would remove it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

This gay is running out of excuses for not going to gay weddings.
    It was so much easier when I only had to avoid straight weddings but the fecking gays expect creative excuses with backstories and props. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Iona could have hoovered up a few votes warning about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

You need to take that up with "the heteros" - they're the ones having all the gay babies :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This gay is running out of excuses for not going to gay weddings.
    It was so much easier when I only had to avoid straight weddings but the fecking gays expect creative excuses with backstories and props. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I was walking down the street the day it was passed, carefully as a straight man, expecting a gay to jump out and force marry me :D.
    Never happened.
    The only difference I've experienced since then was attending two gay weddings.
    Nothing changed for me, but for two of my friends, everything changed.
    Was so proud of us that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I was walking down the street the day it was passed, carefully as a straight man, expecting a gay to jump out and force marry me :D.
    Never happened.
    The only difference I've experienced since then was attending two gay weddings.
    Nothing changed for me, but for two of my friends, everything changed.
    Was so proud of us that day

I feel somewhat letdown meself, as I was sort of looking forward to societys collapse and the ensuing chaos of cannibalistic leather clad biker gangs.
    https://tpcfilmreviews.wordpress.com/top-lists/the-road-warrior-and-the-anxieties-of-the-irish-no-voter/

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

lazygal wrote: »
    Dire, dire warnings about the gays adopting any passing childers and we'd all be surrogates for them non stop. I think we're alright, given the circumstances.

Turns out the gays end up supporting right wing parties like the Conservatives in the UK and the CDU in Germany. Probably because many Muslims are anti-gay and the right-wing parties are anti-Muslim.

Turns out the gays end up supporting right wing parties like the Conservatives in the UK and the CDU in Germany. Probably because many Muslims are anti-gay and the right-wing parties are anti-Muslim.

'the gays'?

Gosh, I do enjoy being lumped in with a hive mind and told what I and I same-sex loving comrades apparently did...

Especially when I would cut my hand off before voting for a right-wing party, and I have met more anti-gay (oh if only there was a term for that...something like homohater....) Christians than I have met homophobic (.. that's the term..) Muslims. In fact the single most homophobic person I have ever met was Jewish. Go figure.

Turns out that 'the gays' come from all facets of life, all socio-economic backgrounds, all religions (and none), all races, and all political persuasions.

And no - 'the gays' did not turn right-wing because Ireland voted overwhelmingly for Marriage Equality - in point of fact, many many of 'the gays' are very very annoyed with Ireland's ruling conservative party for the continued dragging of heels in terms of enacting the legislation that makes 'straight' marriage and 'gay' marriage actually equal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Meanwhile in Moscow, Putin is running into a spot of bother. Last month, his approval ratings sank to 59% while the number of people brave enough to answer "No, I don't support him" to an unknown voice on the telephone rose to 33%.

https://www.levada.ru/2020/05/06/odobrenie-institutov-vlasti-i-doverie-politikam/

So Putin has brought forward the "referendum" on changes to the constitution - the two principal amendments allow for Putin to remain in power until around 2036, while the second defines "marriage" as between a man and a woman only. The Kremlin has therefore released some splendidly homophobic videos - you'll get the sense of the video without subs, but the last line's the important one - "You won't see such a Russia in the future - decide the future of your country - vote to pass the amendment to the constitution!"

https://twitter.com/gruppa_voina/status/1267732905813557248

According to the (relatively) independent Levada Polling Institute, the "referendum" on the first of July looks set to pass with 55% for and 25% against.

https://www.levada.ru/2020/06/02/obshherossijskoe-golosovanie-po-popravkam-v-konstitutsiyu-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

^^ Wow, Twitter allows that tweet. Hmm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So while Ireland has moved on in progressive ways in relation to LGBT
    Poland is taking many, many steps backwards
    Polish president issues campaign pledge to fight 'LGBT ideology'

Andrzej Duda launches ‘family charter’ to appeal to base as race tightens in run-up to election
    Among other things, Duda’s new charter pledges no support for gay marriage or adoption by gay couples, with Duda describing the latter as part of “a foreign ideology”. It also seeks to “ban the propagation of LGBT ideology” in schools and public institutions – language reminiscent of a notorious Russian law targeting so-called “gay propaganda”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/12/polish-president-issues-campaign-pledge-to-fight-lgbt-ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

[in response to deleted post]
    wtf is your problem. If you don't want to go to a wedding then don't go. Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions and learn acceptance of other poeple.

Life ain't always empty.

wtf is your problem. If you don't want to go to a wedding then don't go. Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions and learn acceptance of other poeple.

The point was to be extremely uncivil about the wedding couple but the wrong forum for that kind of thing was chosen. I assume they failed to detect a certain level of sarcasm in the thread title.

Poster has deleted their (mod edited) post, hopefully a lesson has been learned, and now we can all go back to civilly discussing how him & him/ her & her getting hitched has nearly caused our society to topple.

For a start theres flegs - everywhere - and bunting.
    Dunno about others but I am soooooo over the rainbow :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Cabaal wrote: »
    So while Ireland has moved on in progressive ways in relation to LGBT
    Poland is taking many, many steps backwards

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/12/polish-president-issues-campaign-pledge-to-fight-lgbt-ideology

Too much americanism (different from progressism) and society will implode like Rome did. Recent things happening in USA also shows their empire is nearly ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Why the bitterness, same sex marriage was voted in, life continued and society embraced it. Why are people always looking back and wanting to fight old battles and criticise. Move on. This is a non thread.

• Advertisement

Why the bitterness, same sex marriage was voted in, life continued and society embraced it. Why are people always looking back and wanting to fight old battles and criticise. Move on. This is a non thread.

I'm not the OP, but the OP was a strong advocate of Marriage Equality at the time of the referendum so I think I am safe in saying is the point of the thread was light hearted joking about how same-sex marriage did not bring society crashing down.

Although it would appear some are still waiting for that to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,944 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Das Reich wrote: »
    Too much americanism (different from progressism) and society will implode like Rome did. Recent things happening in USA also shows their empire is nearly ended.

You might be as good as to expand on that.............?

Odhinn wrote: »
    You might be as good as to expand on that.............?

You're wasting your time - the username suits them perfectly.

Life ain't always empty.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm not the OP, but the OP was a strong advocate of Marriage Equality at the time of the referendum so I think I am safe in saying is the point of the thread was light hearted joking about how same-sex marriage did not bring society crashing down.

Although it would appear some are still waiting for that to happen...

Only the paranoid ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Why do people equate atheism with acceptance of gay people? It's 2020, not 1920. I know people who voted for gay marriage but I'd still call them homophobic, insofar as they sneer at gay people, make derogatory claims about them. But they "accept them" outwardly. Suppose they just didn't feel that their prejudices should dictate what other people do. So maybe when push came to shove they are not truly homophobic but I dunno.

Why do people equate atheism with acceptance of gay people? It's 2020, not 1920. I know people who voted for gay marriage but I'd still call them homophobic, insofar as they sneer at gay people, make derogatory claims about them. But they "accept them" outwardly.

I would guess that in the secrecy of the ballot booth
    they actually didn't vote for gay marriage if that's how they behave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not exactly recent. I remember reading Gore Vidal's Decline and fall of the American Empire nearly twenty years ago and it was far from a new topic even then. To be fair, the current 'emperor' certainly seems to be hastening its demise. My feeling is that the further the far right moves from the center the more isolated it will become.

Why do people equate atheism with acceptance of gay people?

Because homophobia is strongly correlated with religon.
    It's 2020, not 1920. I know people who voted for gay marriage but I'd still call them homophobic, insofar as they sneer at gay people, make derogatory claims about them. But they "accept them" outwardly. Suppose they just didn't feel that their prejudices should dictate what other people do. So maybe when push came to shove they are not truly homophobic but I dunno.

You know some very odd, and probalby fictional, people.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

smacl wrote: »
    Not exactly recent. I remember reading Gore Vidal's Decline and fall of the American Empire nearly twenty years ago and it was far from a new topic even then. To be fair, the current 'emperor' certainly seems to be hastening its demise. My feeling is that the further the far right moves from the center the more isolated it will become.

Go back 30 years so instead of 20. It was the consolidation of USA as the only power after the fall os USSR and Berlin Wall. Who would imagine in 1990 that USA would be like this in such short period? Fair play to Poland if they not want to follow the rest of western world.

• Advertisement

Go back 30 years so instead of 20. It was the consolidation of USA as the only power after the fall os USSR and Berlin Wall. Who would imagine in 1990 that USA would be like this in such short period? Fair play to Poland if they not want to follow the rest of western world.

Only power apart from the Chinese. And watch this space because India is tooling along and gathering speed. And of course there was/is that little project called the EU.

Given the US failed completely to sort out it's civil rights issues 20/30/40/50 years ago it is utterly predictable the birds of disorder would come home to roost. And if they don't fix it now it will happen again, and again, and again.
    Add to that an electoral system that is clumsy, open to outside interference, outdated, and does not value the vote of everyone on the electorate equally the US is in a perfect storm of it's own creation. The US is in difficulty because it talked the talk about equality but didn't walk the walk.

Sure - Poland following polices similar to those in Russia always worked out so well for them in the past. How short their memories are.

Advertisement