Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid and Obesity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Then Belgium's minister of health Maggie De Block is ****ed

hw1cji8nal011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Mmmmmm Holeistic

513242.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

If 'holeistic' isnt a real word it should be :pac:

wadacrack wrote: »
    Will this pandemic change our relationship in terms of our own personal health. The risk with obesity now beginning to more mainstream attention here and in he UK.

Healthier diets/less sugar and more emphasis on your own personal health hopefully will be a by product of this pandemic. Not just throwing drugs at yet another health problem . A More holistic approach required

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/obesity-stigma-and-vulnerability-to-covid-19-1.4250389

I think people will still want to enjoy life the way they want to enjoy it. Not much point in going out prematurely having suffered exercise and lettuce your whole life either.

I get the feeling from the fitness brigade that they really yearn for this to kill off the overweight people so they can feel smug about it anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can't help but laugh at this in the thread listings...

513249.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think people will still want to enjoy life the way they want to enjoy it. Not much point in going out prematurely having suffered exercise and lettuce your whole life either.

I get the feeling from the fitness brigade that they really yearn for this to kill off the overweight people so they can feel smug about it anyway.

Being healthy and a healthy lifestyle is not suffering. How society looks at obesity maybe different after this pandemic. Could be a positive by product

Being healthy and a healthy lifestyle is not suffering. How society looks at obesity maybe different after this pandemic. Could be a positive by product

It is if you don’t want to. Exercise is hellish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Obesity is far too accepted in society now.
    Sensible eating and modest regular exercise is all it takes yet so many chose not to and then expect not to be ridiculed for their laziness.

It is if you don’t want to. Exercise is hellish.

Walking is exercise. Not eating excessively and some movement is all that is needed. Its just a belief system many people have used an an excuse. Every sane person cares about their health as Covid 19 has proven

Walking is exercise. Not eating excessively and some movement is all that is needed. Its just a belief system many people have used an an excuse. Every sane person cares about their health as Covid 19 has proven

Large people can’t really walk in public because of attitudes towards them so you need the money and space for home walking equipment. And anyway, walking when you’re not going anywhere is a pain in the hole.

Anyway, the virus is already here to it’s basically too late for anyone to be starting now. If you’d a couple of years heads up it was coming then maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

We cut out processed sugar, making the majority of meals from scratch. Down 10KGs since the beginning of March. Depends on the person I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think it should be a wake-up call for every overweight person.

Hopefully more people learnt home cooking during the lockdown.

Large people can’t really walk in public because of attitudes towards them so you need the money and space for home walking equipment. And anyway, walking when you’re not going anywhere is a pain in the hole.

Anyway, the virus is already here to it’s basically too late for anyone to be starting now. If you’d a couple of years heads up it was coming then maybe.

Simply not true. I like to see overweight people in Gym's. They are trying to improve themselves. Its admirable. A virus shouldn't be the only reason. You creating excuses to justify your own behavior I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

The only reason large people couldnt walk in public would be if they are actually too large to walk. Nothing to do with attitudes towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ireland is going to have serious health issues with the level of obesity in years to come we are one of the fastest people in Europe. The implementation for the health service in the future is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Cooking all our amazing food from scratch, no takeaways, no eating out, walking every day and barbell workouts at home in the mornings before work. I feel incredible, except for weekends like now when I absolutely attack the gargle..

If you’re lazy then yes, lockdown will have a negative impact on your health - But it doesn’t have to.

Large people can't walk in public? There are large people everywhere I am not sure why they can't walk. Every second person I see in Ireland is overweight or obese so I am not sure why you would need home walking equipment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There are plenty of extremely overweight people walking around my local area and there doesn't seem to be an issue for them

Sirsok wrote: »
    The only reason large people couldnt walk in public would be if they are actually too large to walk. Nothing to do with attitudes towards them.

Maybe in some magical make believe land. Animosity towards them has grown hugely lately too, as threads like this show.

Do you really think that you have to eat lettuce all the time not to be fat?

• Advertisement

Maybe in some magical make believe land. Animosity towards them has grown hugely lately too, as threads like this show.

There are overweight people walking around all the time in Ireland. What are you talking about?

Every second person is overweight. Are you honestly saying that them walking is a magical make believe land.

I obviously live there because I see them all the time.

Do you really think that you have to eat lettuce all the time not to be fat?

Lettuce just symbolic of all vegetables and fruits. Except the nice ones like spuds.

There are overweight people walking around all the time in Ireland. What are you talking about?

Every second person is overweight. Are you honestly saying that them walking is a magical make believe land.

I obviously live there because I see them all the time.

There’s obviously going to be the odd few brave ones who will block out the sniggers and abuse. I couldn’t be arsed with it, nor could many others.

This attitude a lot of you have where there’s a new hatred and derision of overweight people building in society does more to hinder people changing their lives, yet you all preach that they should.

There’s obviously going to be the odd few brave ones who will block out the sniggers and abuse. I couldn’t be arsed with it, nor could many others.

This attitude a lot of you have where there’s a new hatred and derision of overweight people building in society does more to hinder people changing their lives, yet you all preach that they should.

Theirs been no hatred of overweight people in society

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

But......everyone is going around in Tracksuits (sorry...Active Wear)????
    Must be the fittest nation around....:pac::pac::pac:

No there isn't. In Ireland we don't even know what a normal weight is anymore due the amount of overweight people. It's obviously accepted or there wouldn't be so many.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This hatred is in your head tbh.

Stheno wrote: »
    This hatred is in your head tbh.

It’s oozing out of a lot of threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-15/coronavirus-risk-higher-for-obese-people

The coronavirus is particularly unkind to those who are obese
    “Obesity appears to be a previously unrecognized risk factor for hospital admission and need for critical care,” wrote the authors of the study published this month in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. But that only applies to relatively younger patients; among those ages 65 and older, there was no link between obesity status and hospital care.

https://www.ft.com/content/0409a776-8b85-11ea-a109-483c62d17528

Excess body fat seems to matter more than heart or lung disease, or smoking, when it comes to catching the virus
    In France, the US and UK, figures suggest that patients who are overweight are at significantly greater risk. In New York City, a study of 4,000 Covid-19 patients found that obesity is the second strongest predictor, after their age, of whether someone over 60 will need critical care. Surprisingly for a virus that hits the lungs, the researchers say that excess body fat seems to matter more than heart or lung disease, or smoking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It’s oozing out of a lot of threads here.
    I'd have to agree with R on this. Though we left the Church behind the craw thumping and finger pointing still runs strong in Irish society only now it's over things like the health or not of others, though in the case of fat people it seems to be much more of an aesthetic thing and health is a cover for it. And no I'm not overweight, I'm quite likely to be among the thinnest on the thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement