Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say chips out of the rotating basket would be improved a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thargor wrote: »

I'd say they'd end up in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thargor wrote: »

The basket looks small enough and I guess you can't pack too much into it to ensure airflow. Wonder how many chips you'd get done at a time.

Just checked: their UK website gives the capacity, unlike the Irish one. Oven capacity is 10l and the rotary basket is 1.9l

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just checked: their UK website gives the capacity, unlike the Irish one. Oven capacity is 10l and the rotary basket is 1.9l
    it has the power rating too 1800W, the max a plug socket can take here is 2990W.

As Muahahaha said it looks like a mini oven. I was saying the same, that it could be just a regular oven. They might just throw the airfryer name in to jump on the bandwagon, like aldi and/or lidl did with halogen ovens.

Being that large and only 1800W will indeed mean it takes longer to heat up.

There is nothing in the marketing about it being fast too cook

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/kitchen/silvercrest-9-in-1-air-fryer/p31080

The NI page appears to have specs relating to a induction hob
    https://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/en/p/kitchen-deals/9-in-1-1800w-hot-air-fryer/p27587

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Badabing1

I have the Lidl air fryer, think it is the Silvercrest black one. I find it great, it's my first one so nothing to compare it too, but so far chips and chicken wings have turned out great. I think it was 70 euro few months back but they come up again, just for anyone looking to try them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I normally put a bit of oil on a plate and dip the heads of broccoli in it then salt them before going in the airfryer. Be attentive though, broccoli can burn very quickly in an airfryer. About 3 minutes at 200c is enough to give it a good crunch without the heads turning black.

Tried this last night but the broccoli was neither cooked nor crisp after 3 mins on 200c and I know the AirFryer is working fine as I had just finished cooking a kilo of chicken wings in it.

I do like the idea will will persevere. Maybe I'm just buying cheap tough broccoli :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In an airfryer, can you pile things up in the basket and they cook evenly, or does it have to be in a single layer?

As in, does it really function like a deep fat fryer in terms of even cooking, or more like an oven?

When it comes to meat I cook at one level and never pile any up. As for chips I've tried piling them in and shaking them mid cook time, but there's always a few that aren't cooked properly. Luckily I only cook for three and mainly just two as I tend to have a different meal time to the missus and daughter.

I did some "roast" spuds tonight for three. All spuds on the level covered in oil for 25 minutes. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My 5 year old philips has given up the ghost. Amazing value for the use it got to be honest, I cook everything in it. So whats the one to go for now? Is there better value than the philips, ideally like to spend around 100 euro.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Just did Panko Chicken in the Philips XL Air Fryer following this (https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260625/crumbed-chicken-tenderloins-air-fried/) recipe and it is an absolute keeper.

Went down very well for all the family with some Tomato Mascarpone Pasta.

I have my Philips XL AirFryer which cost £148 from Amazon.co.uk circa 4 years and it's honestly the best piece of kitchen kit ever purchased. Everyone in the house uses it regularly. I'd say it gets used at least once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Still using my Philips air fryer but tonight i used my ninja for chicken wings and when cooked added hoi sin and extra 5 mins omg messy and gorgeous .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Finally bought an air fryer which was delivered yesterday. Just went for the tower 3.2 litre one as it was so cheap. Turns out I love it! Cooked baked potato and breaded chicken breast last night in 25 minutes and sausages this morning in 10 minutes. What an amazing device!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rob316 wrote: »
    My 5 year old philips has given up the ghost. Amazing value for the use it got to be honest, I cook everything in it. So whats the one to go for now? Is there better value than the philips, ideally like to spend around 100 euro.

Thanks

I think it was rubadub who posted an article further back the thread where they had tested and reviewed 5 different airfryers and concluded that there is little to no different between them in terms of cooking results. So the main variable is price and longevity. You can get the Power Airfryers for around 50-60 euro, the only question is will it last for 5 years or will it break down after 2 or 3 years and be a matter of buy cheap, buy twice.

How did your airfryer give up the ghost anyway?
    Finally bought an air fryer which was delivered yesterday. Just went for the tower 3.2 litre one as it was so cheap. Turns out I love it! Cooked baked potato and breaded chicken breast last night in 25 minutes and sausages this morning in 10 minutes. What an amazing device!

Sausages are probably the biggest single time saver to cook in the airfryer. Before I had an airfryer cooking sausages was 10 minutes of standing near a frying pan and not being too far away from it, turning them, tending to them, etc. Now its just dump them in the airfryer and go read a book or watch tv for 10 minutes. Thats the beauty of it really, set it and forget it then it goes ding and your food is done with little to no effort from yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have found sausages very oily and smoke a lot and have it under an extraction fan.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I have found sausages very oily and smoke a lot and have it under an extraction fan.
    do them at a lower temp for a longer time. Also consider dumping them out of the basket half way through and into the base, leave the basket out completely.

I think I go as low as 130C for sausages, definitely down to 140C and they still brown. When you look at them right away they might not look brown enough if the skins are puffed out, but when they cool and retract they look fine, its like how a balloon will appear a lighter colour once blown up a lot.

My plan was to cook on low and brown at high but I discovered they did brown at low temps. The airfryer is different than an oven as its more like a heat gun blasting it. So a pizza will have its cheese completely brown in the airfryer at 200C but would struggle in a regular oven at 200C without destroying the base.

The dumping out of the basket is because the airfryer is also similar to a grill, oil is spitting out of sausages and hitting the exposed element. Just like grilling a burger under a regular grill results in flames as oil hits the element and ignites momentarily. So by getting rid of the basket the food is down lower and the spitting oil is less likely to hit the element. Just like moving the grill tray down under a regular grill helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I have a small lamb shank and want to try cooking it in the Philips air fryer.

Anyone tried it before and tips on temperature/ how long etc to cook it ?
    Getting impatient waiting for it to cook slowly in my cooker oven .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭robwen

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/kitchen-coffee/hot-air-fryer-4-5l/p41615

Lots of these in stock in lidl today, seems like very good deal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

robwen wrote: »
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/kitchen-coffee/hot-air-fryer-4-5l/p41615

Lots of these in stock in lidl today, seems like very good deal..

I’d actually love to hear if anyone has one of these. I had an early Philips air fryer which I eventually outgrew (family got bigger!). Loved it for baked potatoes, all frozen food, loaded sandwich etc. Though never found the homemade chips perfect if I’m honest but the green bag from aldi were excellent. Went for the actifry genius this Time and honestly I’ve never loved it at all. Everything sticks to the paddle, it’s impossible to keep clean and chips are actually worse, they don’t get crispy enough no matter how long I leave it.

This seems to be bigger than the Philips XL but has anyone got one of salters ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭iHungry

Hi, loving my tower airfryer. I got it for €35 from Argos black Friday deal but I think I need another one for more capacity. Anyone see this new release in DID electric. €120 what ya reckon?

https://www.did.ie/tower-2000w-11l-5-in-1-manual-air-fryer-oven-with-rotisserie-black-t17038-t17038-prd?param1=wgmidmarfb&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-_j1BRDkARIsAJcfmTEeHp0ta6pIJMS7_MbJupy3JHc5dCL6s0QK4MPPlRzM0GJ6sggzRK0aAiiCEALw_wcB#fo_c=1898&fo_k=a186eec28d1299f2367cbdcf8265a3f2&fo_s=gplaie

Looks good but would imagine you would find it cheaper than 120, maybe set a price alert on Amazon and see if it drops below that over the next few weeks

iHungry wrote: »
    reviews on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-T17038-Rotisserie-Circulation-Technology/dp/B07X2YWQF5

As I feared about the Lidl one it does just seem to be a small oven just jumping on the airfryer bandwagon. I wonder how much heat it retains at the end.

Probably still decent but does not seem like it would have the same cooking time from cold for say a small amount of chips or nuggets/sausages.

• Advertisement

Just on that Amazon link Keepa is saying it was £70 on Feb 22nd and later £75 on May 8th so at the current price of £99 it is due a drop shortly.

I wonder what airfryers with a rotisserie function are like with for cleaning up. Would imagine it could be a pain with splashes of fat getting everywhere inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Hi folks, can I ask what ye think is the best air fryer to get? I looked at the one below but willing to pay more for a good one, any ideas?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/morphy-richards-480005-air-fryer-black-10195164-pdt.html

Bar the size (5 litre capacity) would the one above be as good as the POWER AIRFRYER XL linked below?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/power-airfryer-xl-health-fryer-5-litres-black-10161223-pdt.html

Anyone? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

zweton wrote: »
    Hi folks, can I ask what ye think is the best air fryer to get? I looked at the one below but willing to pay more for a good one, any ideas?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/morphy-richards-480005-air-fryer-black-10195164-pdt.html

Bar the size (5 litre capacity) would the one above be as good as the POWER AIRFRYER XL linked below?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/power-airfryer-xl-health-fryer-5-litres-black-10161223-pdt.html

Power one is a good bit bigger in terms of capacity and has a bigger element (1700w vs 1400w). It’s looks like a much better machine just going by specs. If you are using it to cook for one person it’s not a big deal but if you are regularly cooking for a few people I’d go with the bigger better machine personally.

The main advantage will be quicker cooking time and I find when you fill them to near capacity things don’t always cook evenly. The bigger one gives you much more headroom in that regard.

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone? :-)
    I would go for the large Power one. Even if cooking for 1 the regulars are really small. You could easily fit a large chicken in it and have leftovers.

I was saying several times if my philips breaks I am going to get a large Power brand one.
    The main advantage will be quicker cooking time and I find when you fill them to near capacity things don’t always cook evenly.
    It may not be quicker, once up to temperature the heater will be thermostatically controlled, so power does not matter at that point. The speed of the fan will also determine how quickly things cook as you are refreshing the air on it faster, just like a regular fan oven is faster, the airfryer is faster again, but not all will have the same speed fan. Also the larger airfryer could possibly take longer to get to the preheat temperature as its a larger unit to preheat, and 1700W vs 1400W is not much of a difference.

I don't bother preheating anyway, its so quick to get up there is no need, no need in most regular ovens too unless doing critical things like maybe a cake or fast cooking pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Picked up the tefal easy fry precision 1.2kg last week and love it. I had Philips originally, replaced due to size, then the tefal actifry. I gave it over a year but I absolutely hate it. One week with this and it’s exactly what I needed. Bigger size than the Philips and waaaay faster/crispier than the actifry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

rubadub wrote: »
    It may not be quicker, once up to temperature the heater will be thermostatically controlled, so power does not matter at that point. The speed of the fan will also determine how quickly things cook as you are refreshing the air on it faster, just like a regular fan oven is faster, the airfryer is faster again, but not all will have the same speed fan. Also the larger airfryer could possibly take longer to get to the preheat temperature as its a larger unit to preheat, and 1700W vs 1400W is not much of a difference.

I don't bother preheating anyway, its so quick to get up there is no need, no need in most regular ovens too unless doing critical things like maybe a cake or fast cooking pizza.

Where I was coming from was a comparison of the Philips XL 2100W that I have vs the 1500W Power one that a family member has. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of speed that it cooks things, I also find the bigger unit that I have cooks food far more evenly.

While the fan is another factor I’d be surprised if the larger power one that was posted wasn’t faster than the smaller one tbh.

Has anyone ever managed to take the element off the Philips airfryer to clean it? I had problems with white smoke last month and thought I had cleaned it up good but now its back again, most likely from splashes of fat coming from streaky bacon. I turned it upside down and behind the element is caked with black crusty cinders. The gaps between the element ring are tiny so it seems next to impossible to clean without taking it off.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone ever managed to take the element off the Philips airfryer to clean it?

I have not managed to. I leave mine outside on full heat for a while to try and burn it off. A trick I use for fatty food is to just take out the basket and rest the food on the bottom, so it now the fat has to jump up higher to hit the element. I always wanted to try a metal plate suspended above the food, or a mesh like a spatter gaurd. You could get a cheap one and cut to size. I think I heard of some doing this, it might increase cook time but that would not really bother me.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, will pick up the Power XL. Now to try find the best price :)

Advertisement