Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will driving ranges reopen on Monday, May 18th.....?

• 16-05-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Just wondering if golf driving ranges will reopen for business next Monday, May 18th.

The social distancing box would be automatically ticked. And if a range has a hopper to pour balls into, there wouldn't be any need to handle them..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Halpenny Golf range beside Dublin Airport is open on Monday according to their Facebook page.

Halpenny Golf range beside Dublin Airport is open on Monday according to their Facebook page.

Facebook posts and tweets predate the GUI clarification issued today.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Thanks, guys.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Facebook posts and tweets predate the GUI clarification issued today.

Doubt the GUI has any say in how private driving ranges operate? I couldn't find any reference to them in their statement.
    Kinsealy Grange also open Monday according to their Facebook page.

• Advertisement

Doubt the GUI has any say in how private driving ranges operate? I couldn't find any reference to them in their statement.
    Kinsealy Grange also open Monday according to their Facebook page.

Sports Ireland deem them as indoor, GUI just posted it the information. They've been advised to stay closed. Hard to see how they open.

I can't see the post on the page myself but I'm guessing it predates the announcement from 4 hours ago. I'd a lesson booked there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Crazy situation this late in the game. Most ranges I know of couldn't be deemed indoors by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Spawell is back open Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Saying that driving ranges are indoor is a bit ridiculous. Anybody who has ever gone to a range on a cold winter's evening will know very
    quickly that they are definitely outdoor.

Another example of making it up as they go along just like the problem with garden centres and homeware stores.

I live outside the 5K limit and unlike lots of members, I'm not going to play in phase one. Was looking forward to going to my local
    range over the next few weeks.

Be interested to see how this pans out. Halpennys have perspex screens up and they seem to be going ahead with opening. Kinsealy too.
    Surely they got some advice or approvals?
    I use them both quite a lot so I hope they will be open.

• Advertisement

Be interested to see how this pans out. Halpennys have perspex screens up and they seem to be going ahead with opening. Kinsealy too.
    Surely they got some advice or approvals?
    I use them both quite a lot so I hope they will be open.

How does it look like they are going to open? I can't see anything from today from either to suggest that they are. All posts I can see are from yesterday. I certainly hope you're correct, I don't see why they should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

A covered driving range is indoors
    A covered smoking area in a pub is outdoors.

Only in Ireland can the same structure be deemed indoor or outdoor depending on the cmos view point.

bren2001 wrote: »
    How does it look like they are going to open? I can't see anything from today from either to suggest that they are. All posts I can see are from yesterday. I certainly hope you're correct, I don't see why they should be closed.
    Well, they have said that they will open and obviously prepared for opening. I can't see anything from them to suggest that they have changed their plans.

Both Halpenny and Kinsealy Facebook pages seem to be updated today and both say they will be open for business tomorrow Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Naas driving range going against the gui regulations and opening up. Fair play to them imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Greystones open too. They're dead right IMO. Don't know how they could be seen as indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Kinsealy Driving Range opening as well - every second bay closed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rahan range is open as well. Emailed them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Carton GUI academy is open, but only the open-air areas. The only part of the building open is the toilets.

Think it's for members only and slots have to be booked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

GUI suggested that ranges at clubs stay closed.
    Private ranges are nothing to do with the GUI and all seem to be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

My local range got shut down by gardai, it's a half indoor/outdoor setup like most and the only one in a 40km radius so not sure about any others

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

I called up to Frankfield Range in Cork city just now. (Frankfield Golf Club closed a few years ago so there's no GUI affiliation or connection now).

It's all closed up with a barrier across the entrance to the car park.......

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sipper

mk7r wrote: »
    My local range got shut down by gardai, it's a half indoor/outdoor setup like most and the only one in a 40km radius so not sure about any others

Whereabouts are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Sipper wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you located?

I don't want to say exactly but in the south of the country, they were open all last week too though so there may be more to it than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

mk7r wrote: »

Its back open. To be fair last week was just outside the rules.

Now that rules have changed a bit, unless there's more than 1 person in one bay, I fail to see what the issue is. If there is a thing that is by definition operating with distancing it would be a driving range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Elmgreen closed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The range & short game areas in Castlewarden are closed, except for lessons with the pro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Its back open. To be fair last week was just outside the rules.

Now that rules have changed a bit, unless there's more than 1 person in one bay, I fail to see what the issue is. If there is a thing that is by definition operating with distancing it would be a driving range.
    Well I suppose you could end up handling somebody else's balls.

I'll get me coat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well I suppose you could end up handling somebody else's balls.

I'll get me coat. :D

I suppose you could but typically the balls are touched very briefly. Then they are being hit and they are out on the grounds in the weather for a day or two. Then they are being collected and washed and filled back into the machines where it takes another few days til they're being dispensed.

Its not really a problem I think.

But I suppose it had to be said. :D

• Advertisement

I went to Halpenny range at Dublin Airport yesterday in the evening. Every second bay open. Chipping area only 2 allowed at a time. Baskets cleaned and available in reception.
    No real risk of contagion I think. Was a good few there but not packed.
    Nice to hit a few full shots and chip a few balls.

Advertisement