Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on ZV plates on "modern classics"?

• 08-05-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys, I've a 1990 MX5 jap import turning 30 later this year. Looking forward to chape tax at last! :D

What are peoples' opinions on these kinds of modern 30 year old classics having their reg converted to the ZV system? I think it's a bit wrong myself, I'm more used to seeing ZVs on pre-87 models that would originally have been using the letter reg system. The ZV sequence is also gone ridiculous high, it's up somewhere around 120,000? It's a bit wordy on a plate.

But, it also does make a classic stand out a bit as being classic. I've seen a few locally on what I'd also consider to be modern classics (AE86 twincams, mk1 MR2, etc) and they don't look totally out of place. Curious to hear what other classic heads think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Imo ZV should be used on pre 87 classics, after that the system changed to year and county anyway.
    I know the long number looks a bit bad but I think zv on a modern classic looks wrong too.

Having said that there are some cars that were in production before 87 and into the 90’s which could possibly get away with a zv.

ZV will always stand out that it’s an import, I would prefer an old original Irish reg myself but I wouldn’t be put off by a ZV if the car was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

From an authenticity viewpoint any car that never had the old reg system shouldn't have the ZV plates.
    They would just look wrong on n MX5 as it came out in 1989.
    Even the current ZV plates don't relate to the old system as they have too many numbers.
    But that's just my opinion, if you want something a bit quirky and different then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 McOptimist

The ZV sequence is also gone ridiculous high, it's up somewhere around 120,000? It's a bit wordy on a plate.

How do you know what the ZV number is at?

Is there any site that describes the ZV system?

Can you tell what your reg will be before charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

McOptimist wrote: »
    How do you know what the ZV number is at?

Is there any site that describes the ZV system?

Can you tell what your reg will be before charging?

Each county has a sequence of numbers, Dublin for example was ZV 111xx when I VRT'd a classic a couple of years ago.

Someone posted a list here before if you do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Advertisement

How do you find out what the ZV number allocation is at for a particular county?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭welder

McOptimist wrote: »
    How do you find out what the ZV number allocation is at for a particular county?

Its not perfect but what you can do is start nailing numbers into your favourite 'car check' type site within the range from the link above depending on what county you are interested in.

So going by your request for a restorer I'll assume you're in Dublin.

I registered a car in Dublin last summer, ZV11653 so it will be higher than that.
    So i tried ZV11900, no record. ZV11800 did come up so I went up in 10's
    then, got a result for ZV11840 but not for ZV11850 so went up in ones from
    ZV11840 and the highest I can get to is ZV11843 (Which is an M5,nice !).

Does that go someway to answering your question ?

Good thinking! Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Nope stuck with my 89D.

Advertisement