Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times and Waterford City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm outraged about this. Meanwhile we sit here wondering if the NQP will ever happen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Did you phone into Joe Duffy about this important issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Can remember queing up for hours beforehand for a good spot on Parnell St and the whole thing lasting about 30 seconds.

Such an anticlimax.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Did you phone into Joe Duffy about this important issue?

As if Joe would allow a Waterford person on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

hardybuck wrote: »
    Can remember queing up for hours beforehand for a good spot on Parnell St and the whole thing lasting about 30 seconds.

Such an anticlimax.

I remember the excitement about it all and we hung around WIT waiting for it to pass and when it did we were like is that it...surely it couldn't be and we waited another little while...but nope that was it....such a let down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

In fairness, what were ye expecting to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My main memory was that it was blowing a gale from the west

I think that was it - we hadn't a clue as it was the first time we'd seen cycling before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The editor of the times is from Waterford, plus Jennifer O'Connell and the paper is great at putting Waterford related articles/promo/festival stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭91wx763

They painted the back garden walls of Ballybeg facing the N25 to make it look nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I think that was it - we hadn't a clue as it was the first time we'd seen cycling before.

Ah, I take it you don't remember the Nissan Classic in the 80s. It was huge to get to go and see Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche on your doorstep.

Dunno really. Just remember watching cycling on a patchy Eurosport when we were young so it was exciting to think we would see this pass by where we lived.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah, I take it you don't remember the Nissan Classic in the 80s. It was huge to get to go and see Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche on your doorstep.

I don't, and I wouldn't be a fan of either considering that Kelly failed drug tests and Roche had a lot of EPO allegations.

Wouldn't be a fan of cycling at all because of the doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »
    The editor of the times is from Waterford, plus Jennifer O'Connell and the paper is great at putting Waterford related articles/promo/festival stuff in it.

The same paper and journalist that went out of their way to describe waterford as a town in a recent article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I don't, and I wouldn't be a fan of either considering that Kelly failed drug tests and Roche had a lot of EPO allegations.

Wouldn't be a fan of cycling at all because of the doping.

Good luck finding a sport where they're not.

If they are on your TV, no matter the sport they are more likely to be doping to some degree than not.

Quigs Snr wrote: »

If they are on your TV, no matter the sport they are more likely to be doping to some degree than not.

In fairness cycling is probably one of the least credible sports going. The amount of young men that have died from cardiac arrest over the last ten years is a disgrace.

Kudos to David Walsh from up the road in Slieverue for bringing so much of it to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

We should have our own Tour de Deise. Would show those jackeens who is boss. We could go from Ballybricken to Ballybeg.

Quigs Snr wrote: »

Absolutely. It is everywhere and to thing it is not is just plain naive. Id bet its an issue in the GAA. Some of those players who for amateur sport are unbelievably fit. There is no way it is from just working out and training. They also have to find time for normal things like jobs and families. I'm sure a few have used some sort of performance enhancing drug in their time as inter counter players.

At least we all know doping and cycling are a thing.

We should have our own Tour de Deise. Would show those jackeens who is boss. We could go from Ballybricken to Ballybeg.

Great idea. They could stop in to Maxol for a roll on their way.
    Do it the same weekend as Daytripper, the place would be buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

As if Joe would allow a Waterford person on.
    Deiseen wrote: »
    The same paper and journalist that went out of their way to describe waterford as a town in a recent article.

Poor 'us' ….. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Always the victims ……
    Is it Joe Duffy's and the Times' fault that yee weren't allowed be a part of the "Wild Atlantic Way" also ??
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Poor 'us' ….. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Always the victims ……
    Is it Joe Duffy's and the Times' fault that yee weren't allowed be a part of the "Wild Atlantic Way" also ??
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

I was being sarcastic?

In fairness cycling is probably one of the least credible sports going. The amount of young men that have died from cardiac arrest over the last ten years is a disgrace.

Kudos to David Walsh from up the road in Slieverue for bringing so much of it to light.

He helped Paul Kimmage expose Armstrong and the US Postal doping.
    and then backtracking when he went 'behind the scenes' at Team Sky, and became a Froome Fanboy !
    Not to mention his 'character reference' for Tom Humphries ….
    Anyway ...

Theres doping in all sports, to believe otherwise would be naive

He helped Paul Kimmage expose Armstrong and the US Postal doping.
    and then backtracking when he went 'behind the scenes' at Team Sky, and became a Froome Fanboy !
    Not to mention his 'character reference' for Tom Humphries ….
    Anyway ...

Theres doping in all sports, to believe otherwise would be naive

Are you saying that he didn't bring so much of this to light?

Are you saying that he didn't bring so much of this to light?

No, I didn't say that...

He went after Armstrong with Kimmage, and then set his eyes on Team Sky, but when he was invited to go behind the scenes with them, he changed his tune .
    I don't think he did that due to finding nothing!!
    team SKy are the US Postal of the 00's , everyone that knows anything about cycling knows that, but how did Walsh not find anything to report?
    Nothing about the TUE's or the asthma that most of them 'suffer' from …

he lost most of his credibility after that incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No, I didn't say that...

He went after Armstrong with Kimmage, and then set his eyes on Team Sky, but when he was invited to go behind the scenes with them, he changed his tune .
    I don't think he did that due to finding nothing!!
    team SKy are the US Postal of the 00's , everyone that knows anything about cycling knows that, but how did Walsh not find anything to report?
    Nothing about the TUE's or the asthma that most of them 'suffer' from …

he lost most of his credibility after that incident.

Yup. Backed the wrong horse - wanted so hard to believe it - and his credentials are damaged now. Bad move. Maybe he was thinking of retirement nest eggs etc. Always enjoyed his stuff though and he still produces good copy. Have all his books even the harder to find ones from 30 years back. Will continue to read his stuff.

Doping is everywhere. Its mainstream. Its a vanity thing and its not even hidden. Seems like everyone wants to look like a love island contestant more so than achieve sporting excellence now. You can barely do a benchpress in your local gym without being offered a monthly supply of testosterone injections. Wherever you are chances are there's fellas playing for your local teams so juiced up they could probably compete in the aintree grand national with a jockey on their back.

Advertisement