Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phoenix park

Options
  • 15-05-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Would it be feasible at all to have a phoenix park station from the phoenix park tunnel? Would it be too complex to develop a station there?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where along the tunnel? conyngham road is already close to heuston, and it leaves the park under garda HQ, IIRC.
    or do you mean a stop *in* the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

caff wrote: »
    Would it be feasible at all to have a phoenix park station from the phoenix park tunnel? Would it be too complex to develop a station there?

Would it be financially viable to build an underground station where nobody lives and that a handful of tourists might use?

I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

where along the tunnel? conyngham road is already close to heuston, and it leaves the park under garda HQ, IIRC.
    or do you mean a stop *in* the park?

Close to the zoo I was thinking. Due to responses about the calls to close the park to through traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

caff wrote: »
    Close to the zoo I was thinking. Due to responses about the calls to close the park to through traffic.

Why would closing the park to through traffic make any odds? People can still drive to the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Would it be financially viable to build an underground station where nobody lives and that a handful of tourists might use?

I seriously doubt it.

It has been suggested in the framework for development of the phoenix park. In terms of people using it I think it would be viable considering that circa 1500 people work within the Park. Dublin Zoo is consistently one of the biggest visitor attractions in the country. There is a mass participant event held almost every weekend in the Phoenix Park, be that a road race, festival, music concert, etc.

I've often thought an underground station close to the Zoo entrance with minimal impact or presence above ground would be awesome. It was also touted as being just outside the walls of the Park. Wouldn't like to see the Park too impacted by developed infrastructure however and much of what was in the framework, concepts was unnecessary and over the top in my opinion, particularly plans for additional parking. Current and immediate economic situation will no doubt decide developments. For now the Park is just great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The recent Phoenix Park Visitor Experience Strategic Review had a section on a possible Dart Station. It's unsurprising that you haven't heard of it, because the OPW are as opaque as a thick brick wall. Their public participation in their review was a sick joke, if you wanted to see anything more than the executive summary, then you had to go into a building and look at a single print out of the review.

They looked at a train station between Chesterfield Avenue and the Garda HQ, presumably to allow easy access to the zoo. It wouldn't be a significantly expensive station, as it would be relatively easy to build as a cut and cover station. No idea what's gone on with that review since, as OPW are, as I said above, opaque.

There's also a station planned between Cabra Rd and Faussagh Avenue, as part of the Dart Expansion.

You can see the black circle where they wanted the station here, from their executive review:
    bE5exjHm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

A station with the Garda HQ would kind of make sense. There's a car park directly over the train line in their grounds and is a stone's throw away from the zoo.

I'm not sure what the usage would be like though. Beyond zoo goers and the odd sunny day trip to the park, who's going to use that station?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There is a mass participant event held almost every weekend in the Phoenix Park, be that a road race, festival, music concert, etc.

Really?

Another option could be to extend the Luas line from Heuston up Infirmary Road.

It would be great if they extended it even further along the North Road within the Phoenix Park. It's a road that sees barely any vehicular traffic and would have minimal disruption both during construction and when in use. Would link up all the houses along the Navan Road and even get usage from people getting off at Ashtown train station if they extended it as far as Ashtown Gate.

I'm not sure how well received a tram within the park would be though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Trying to build an underground station either side of a live underground rail line in a relatively small old tunnel is going to be extremely difficult and expensive. The tunnel may not be straight for the length of platforms either. You need to break out the walls either side of the track where the platforms will be which will almost certainly undermine the ceiling/roof part of the tunnel. You are probably rebuilding the whole tunnel for that section which would cause operational problems and probably shut down that route for a long time.

What I would see as more realistic is building a station in the open straight section along side McKee Barracks which would be a fraction of the cost and a lot less disruptive. It could also be used by residents in the Stoneybatter/Black Horse Ave area, redeveloped O'Deveney Gardens and even people going to/from the Grangegorman campus. A more direct route could then be provided from the station through already state owned land to the Park/Zoo. No doubt there would be lots of resistance to that but could be overcome with some political will, the obsticles aren't physical or economic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

VonLuck wrote: »

It would be great if they extended it even further along the North Road within the Phoenix Park. It's a road that sees barely any vehicular traffic and would have minimal disruption both during construction and when in use. Would link up all the houses along the Navan Road and even get usage from people getting off at Ashtown train station if they extended it as far as Ashtown Gate.

Is this supposed to be a spur line or some weird loop? Considering Hueston isn't a terminus I'm not sure how this makes sense.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be a spur line or some weird loop? Considering Hueston isn't a terminus I'm not sure how this makes sense.

Spur lines coming off the existing Luas lines at Heuston bridge and Benburb Street. It wouldn't have to loop and I wouldn't see how Heuston not being a terminus would be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Spur lines coming off the existing Luas lines at Heuston bridge and Benburb Street. It wouldn't have to loop and I wouldn't see how Heuston not being a terminus would be an issue?

A Spur/branch of Luas to serve the Zoo, would be approx 1.5KM, and could also serve the New Criminal Courts and Garda HQ, but the "problem" would be a reduced frequency between Hueston and the city centre, to allow trams to serve the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is very little likelihood of such an underground station being built for the reasons already outlined, nor is there likely to be one directly between the northern tunnel portal and Blackhorse Avenue either, not least because of space constraints (new stations built on curves are not popular with the Commission for Railway Regulation).

There are likely to be three new stations added to the Phoenix Park tunnel line:

1) Heuston West - this could open onto Conyngham Road
    2) Cabra - Located north of Cabra Road where there are to be apartments built adjacent to the railway line
    3) Glasnevin Junction

Adding each new station will add 2 minutes to overall journey time. A fourth would just be overkill and make journey times much less competitive. Those three planned stations are fairly evenly spaced out, and I very much doubt another will be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Which trams would you remove south of Heuston to facilitate these additional trams, bearing in mind that existing trams (under normal conditions) are pretty full, and that there is a capacity limit to the number of trams that could operate between Heuston and Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A complete non runner. There's no capacity left on the red line let alone cutting the frequency. The cost of this would would be about a quarter of to half of Dart expansion for a fraction of the gains

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why not just bring the 37 and possibly another route (the 38s?) into the park via the Zoo and the northern perimeter (which would capture a good deal of Ashtown)?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Am I missing something here. It's a fifteen minute walk from Heuston to the entrance of the Zoo and posters want an expensive transport link to be built for an unknown reason. Just leave the park the way it is, it's perfectly fine.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Why not just bring the 37 and possibly another route (the 38s?) into the park via the Zoo and the northern perimeter (which would capture a good deal of Ashtown)?

No way. was proposed a few years back and rightly didn't go ahead. Would be a mess bringing buses through the park.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Trying to build an underground station either side of a live underground rail line in a relatively small old tunnel is going to be extremely difficult and expensive. The tunnel may not be straight for the length of platforms either. You need to break out the walls either side of the track where the platforms will be which will almost certainly undermine the ceiling/roof part of the tunnel. You are probably rebuilding the whole tunnel for that section which would cause operational problems and probably shut down that route for a long time.

What I would see as more realistic is building a station in the open straight section along side McKee Barracks which would be a fraction of the cost and a lot less disruptive. It could also be used by residents in the Stoneybatter/Black Horse Ave area, redeveloped O'Deveney Gardens and even people going to/from the Grangegorman campus. A more direct route could then be provided from the station through already state owned land to the Park/Zoo. No doubt there would be lots of resistance to that but could be overcome with some political will, the obsticles aren't physical or economic.

If they were to build a station in the park, then I can't see them keeping the line open while building it. Perhaps they'd do it as part of the Dart Expansion, I can't see them keeping the line open for that either.

Other than that, your location for a station makes sense to me too. It's about a kilometre to the proposed site at Cabra, that's an acceptable distance for another station in a mostly dense area.

• Advertisement

No way. was proposed a few years back and rightly didn't go ahead. Would be a mess bringing buses through the park.

What's the issue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why would that be more of a mess than allowing cars through the park?

Am I missing something here. It's a fifteen minute walk from Heuston to the entrance of the Zoo and posters want an expensive transport link to be built for an unknown reason. Just leave the park the way it is, it's perfectly fine.

I'm with you to a degree but the Heuston line only caters for a few. Ashtown station is even closer to the Park. A 5 - 10 minute walk. I love the Park as it is too. Would not like to see more traffic, buses and carparks. I do have this ideal of a station with minimum impact above ground close to the Park or under the Park which links to a bigger network linking the Heuston to Connolly lines.

why would that be more of a mess than allowing cars through the park?

The roads are not made for heavy vehicles. Roundabouts would be removed. That's probably the reason why commercials vehicles are banned. You can already see the damage that tour buses do to the surfaces.

I'm with you to a degree but the Heuston line only caters for a few. Ashtown station is even closer to the Park. A 5 - 10 minute walk. I love the Park as it is too. Would not like to see more traffic, buses and carparks. I do have this ideal of a station with minimum impact above ground close to the Park or under the Park which links to a bigger network linking the Heuston to Connolly lines.

You don't want "more buses" but you're quite happy to dig a monumental hole in the ground, fill it with concrete, build all the associated buildings for plant and access, and then throw some soil back on top of it for, what, some tourists who want to visit the zoo and who are happy to originate their journey at about Tara St and go the long way around?

The roads are not made for heavy vehicles. Roundabouts would be removed. That's probably the reason why commercials vehicles are banned. You can already see the damage that tour buses do to the surfaces.

Resurfacing Chesterfield Avenue would do far less damage to the park than a 200 metre long, 20 metre wide and 20 metre deep trench.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Which trams would you remove south of Heuston to facilitate these additional trams, bearing in mind that existing trams (under normal conditions) are pretty full, and that there is a capacity limit to the number of trams that could operate between Heuston and Connolly?
    A complete non runner. There's no capacity left on the red line let alone cutting the frequency. The cost of this would would be about a quarter of to half of Dart expansion for a fraction of the gains

That's probably a fair point. I'm not hugely familiar with the capacity of the Luas as peak hours.

I was looking at the old OSI maps and see that there was a tram that went from O'Connell Street to the top of Infirmary Road along the North Circular. If only it had been retained. Would be financially unviable to construct now.

donvito99 wrote: »
    You don't want "more buses" but you're quite happy to dig a monumental hole in the ground, fill it with concrete, build all the associated buildings for plant and access, and then throw some soil back on top of it for, what, some tourists who want to visit the zoo and who are happy to originate their journey at about Tara St and go the long way around?

Yes of course, that is exactly what I want. It is so evident from my post. I said as an ideal it would be great to have a convenient station with minimum impact. I don't know if it is even possible build one. ...And as for your post regarding resurfacing, if you know the Park well, you'd realise it is resurfaced almost every second year due to traffic. The ground underneath is not up to heavy traffic. Large parts of the Park are quite peaty.

i'm not in the park nearly as much as i used to be, and i do remember the damage the buses were doing to the surface before the big job a few years back - what sort of damage are they doing now?

the biggest issue with the park is that it lies between dublin 15 and the city centre.
    it's possible (betraying my own biases here) that some of the commuter traffic might ease *slightly* if both the cycle route on the quays, and the greenway along the royal canal provide a meaningful alternative to other forms of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

i'm not in the park nearly as much as i used to be, and i do remember the damage the buses were doing to the surface before the big job a few years back - what sort of damage are they doing now?

the biggest issue with the park is that it lies between dublin 15 and the city centre.
    it's possible (betraying my own biases here) that some of the commuter traffic might ease *slightly* if both the cycle route on the quays, and the greenway along the royal canal provide a meaningful alternative to other forms of transport.

The surface is fine.

The only issue I observe is some visitors to the park feeding and petting the wild deer, which is against OPW guidelines. Encouraging more footfall and tourism will only lead to their natural habitat being at risk. I really don't see the benefits of changing any aspect of the park, it just looks like change for change's sake on the part of OPW instead of targeting investment in other areas of their estate.

Bit of a moot point anyway, I'd say any strategic review concerning the park will not be implemented now due to massive budgetary pressures.

Advertisement